Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
can anyone tell me what intercooler is the project SE-R running??

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
stealth_b13 said:
can anyone tell me what intercooler is the project SE-R running??
Sorry for the long delay on the answer. The intercooler on project SE-R Turbo is a Blackstone core measuring 8" tall, 24" wide and 4.5" thick. It's a monster! I don't think F-Max is in business operating under the same name but I have a call checking into this.

I did do a search on intercooler cores and found multiple sources from Spearco and HKS. All you'll need is some end tanks welded on and you'll be ready for some boosted power.

What kind of setup are you building/using?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im still in the research part of the proyect but what i will build is a 93 sentra XE four doors and swap the ga16 for a GTiR SR20det

·
Registered
24 Posts
if your going to go for some real power...i would go with the sr16vvl or the sr20ve......same setup as the honda vtec engine but our sr20 comes with 200hp.....now that will put you right up there with alot of turboed cars...if you want to go turbo then you can order the turbo cams and cam shafts from nissan...then goto your favorite sr20store(i like www.sr20store.com)and ask for the blacktop or red top turbo system...i think they will try and give you a t25 turbo but hustle them into a t28

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
thatguy said:
if your going to go for some real power...i would go with the sr16vvl or the sr20ve......same setup as the honda vtec engine but our sr20 comes with 200hp.....now that will put you right up there with alot of turboed cars...if you want to go turbo then you can order the turbo cams and cam shafts from nissan...then goto your favorite sr20store(i like www.sr20store.com)and ask for the blacktop or red top turbo system...i think they will try and give you a t25 turbo but hustle them into a t28
The VVL is a pretty trick motor but the cost is pretty high and getting parts might be a problem if things break. It's probably the reason most people who want 200 hp or so out of a sentra usually go with a t25 turbo. Almost always 200 hp turns into 300; that's where you need to spend the big bucks upgrading injectors, fuel pump, exhaust and turbo.

When you start pushing much over 240 wheel hp in any fwd car it really makes you look at the other areas of the car like, suspension, tires and brakes. It really takes quite a bit of money to modify a car with this much power to the front wheels and actually make it handle well again.

N/A power is pretty addictive though and a VVL would be a heck of a fun project for my NX2000 beater. HMMMMM......

·
Registered
112 Posts
SR20AL said:
If your interested I know the guy who has the jig to make a new one.
Well, would this guy be you? Or the guy that worked at Hotshot with the very similar manifold? What kind of numbers are we talking about? I would like to see about this for a drag car that I am trying to finish. Please email me at [email protected] so we can discuss this more if you'd like.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
SR20AL said:
If your interested I know the guy who has the jig to make a new one.

want an equal length manifold that is a proven design? www.protech-fabrication.com

not just a jig, a full, guaranteed not to crack equal length manifold.

ask about protech's quality over on sr20forum.com

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
chimmike said:
want an equal length manifold that is a proven design? www.protech-fabrication.com

not just a jig, a full, guaranteed not to crack equal length manifold.

ask about protech's quality over on sr20forum.com
So other designs are not proven, is that what your saying? You don't jig your manifolds? So every time you need to make a manifold you do it from scratch?

I've had my manifold for 3 years with absolutely no signs of cracking.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
SR20AL said:
So other designs are not proven, is that what your saying? You don't jig your manifolds? So every time you need to make a manifold you do it from scratch?

I've had my manifold for 3 years with absolutely no signs of cracking.

I don't make those, I'm just an impressed owner of a protech product.

Every manifold he makes, he starts from scratch, to make sure it's exactly how it should be, so that the welds are perfect, even the welds inside the primaries.

And no, I didn't say other designs aren't proven, don't put words in my mouth.

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
turbo91ser said:
Well, would this guy be you? Or the guy that worked at Hotshot with the very similar manifold? What kind of numbers are we talking about? I would like to see about this for a drag car that I am trying to finish. Please email me at [email protected] so we can discuss this more if you'd like.
No I've never worked for Hotshot or any other fabrication company.

F-Max is no longer in business. They merged with Turbonetics and I believe you can now order the same parts F-Max made through them. The stainless equal length manifold I have was kind of a one off project. One other person also has this setup. Jhame (the owner of F-Max) created a jig to duplicate the setup if anyone else wants it. He has a partner in the area he used to work in (San Diego area) that he gave the jig to. I can give you his contact information if you want it.

Ben Benavidis had a manifold very similar to what I have on his full drag car. I don't remember what turbo he was running but at 15 psi his car was making over 500hp to the wheels. I'm sure with his fully built motor and monster turbo he could turn it up past 25psi.

Forgive me for being simplistic here because I'm no engineer but it's the long runners in this setup that make it so ideal for drag racing. You give up a bit in the spoolup on the turbo because of the heat loss in the long runners but you gain more volumetric efficency. When your running a huge turbo needed for drag racing your going to have tremendous lag anyway that can easily be cured with Nitrous for the launch.

With my setup I wanted quick boost responce. That's why I chose the GT3037. It starts building boost at around 2600 RPM on my setup which is pretty quick for as big of a turbo as it is. At 3600 RPM's its over 10psi and kicking major ass. With absolutely no tuning it made 366hp at 18psi. This is also with a smallish K&N filter. Since then JWT has tweeked the ECU for more power while keeping the Air/Fuel ratio safe out of detonation. We were ready to dyno again and that's when I ran into those electrical gremlins at Streets of Willow.

I'll send you an e-mail so we can go over more details.

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
chimmike said:
I don't make those, I'm just an impressed owner of a protech product.

Every manifold he makes, he starts from scratch, to make sure it's exactly how it should be, so that the welds are perfect, even the welds inside the primaries.

And no, I didn't say other designs aren't proven, don't put words in my mouth.
Every manifold starts from scratch! Whether you use a jig or not has nothing to do with the welds.

I'm not putting words into your mouth. The guy was asking about the manifold I had on my project. Then you troll your way into the thread saying "want an equal length manifold that is a proven design? not just a jig..." I see you can type words but none of them make sence.

·
Registered
112 Posts
SR20AL said:
F-Max is no longer in business.
Yes, I am very aware of that.

SR20AL said:
They merged with Turbonetics and I believe you can now order the same parts F-Max made through them.
yes, I am aware of that.

SR20AL said:
The stainless equal length manifold I have was kind of a one off project.
Yes, I am aware of that.

SR20AL said:
One other person also has this setup.
Yes, the only 2 people I know of that had the manifold are you and Zak.

SR20AL said:
Jhame (the owner of F-Max) created a jig to duplicate the setup if anyone else wants it.
Well, I thought he built jigs for everything?

SR20AL said:
He has a partner in the area he used to work in (San Diego area) that he gave the jig to.
Are you referring to Scott?

SR20AL said:
I can give you his contact information if you want it.
Yes, that would be great........... [email protected]

SR20AL said:
Ben Benavidis had a manifold very similar to what I have on his full drag car. I don't remember what turbo he was running but at 15 psi his car was making over 500hp to the wheels. I'm sure with his fully built motor and monster turbo he could turn it up past 25psi.

Yes, I own the engine that was in Ben B's last drag car setup. I think it was 485 @ 15 lbs.

I appreciate all your help on this.

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
turbo91ser said:
Yes, I am very aware of that.

yes, I am aware of that.

Yes, I am aware of that.

Yes, the only 2 people I know of that had the manifold are you and Zak.

Well, I thought he built jigs for everything?

Are you referring to Scott?

Yes, that would be great........... [email protected]

Yes, I own the engine that was in Ben B's last drag car setup. I think it was 485 @ 15 lbs.

I appreciate all your help on this.
No his name is Chris Muzzio not Scott.

·