Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an idea on how much was the total cost on this project?..I was just wondering so I can ahve a basis on how much is needed...I know it will burn in a hole in my pocket...but it seems worth it...SPEED can be so ADDICTIVE!

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
Total Cost of this project really depends on how much you want to shop around for the deals out there. For example I bought my Cobra MAF from NAPA where I get a good discount. I also used many of the SERCA (member) friendly vendors to get a healthy discount on some of the other parts.

The turbo is probably the largest variable as I saw prices anywhere from $1800 to $2700 for the GT 3037; it definitely paid to shop around. I'd give F-Max a call about pricing on the turbo "kit" itself as I had extras like the aluminum intercooler piping.

The total price with all the goodies and extras is awful close to five figures including transmission buildup with JUN flywheel and clutch. There are many extras that made this more expensive. In the end I'd say this "kit" would be about $1,000 to $2,000 more than an F-Max Stage II depending on what kind of deals you can find and what you want.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
..500HP

thanks for the info! Well, I would love to have a 11 second car. But also I would want it to be a daily driver. I was thinking maybe a nitrous oxude system can help me. i will be moving back there in the states this year and I would love to have a sr20DE-T project. i really admire your project and I would like to use it as a basis.

I live here in the Philippines. My ride is a b13 with a GtiR powerplant.It is bonestock as of now since I have to fine tune it still.The car still runs pretty sluggish.I might not upgrade anymore since I will be leaving but at least my bro will have a big smile on his face when I leave the "monster" with him...MORE POWER TO YOU!

I hope I can PM or e-mail you to gather more info about your project!:) thanks!

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
There's really nothing that keeps this car from being driven daily; in fact I know there are quite a few people in the States who drive cars like mine daily.

Nitrous is also a good option but my only personal preference against it is that the bottle runs out. But, taking it easy on the road can be a good thing ;)

A GTI-R being sluggish? Definitely something wrong there; good luck finding your gremlins as I definitely know how that goes.

You can e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

thanks man, i will surely be e-mailing you to dig up info...

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
The exhaust manifold was around $200 and the turbine housing on the turbo was about $80. The intercooler pipes are aluminum and I didn't feel they really needed to be done.

Swain does have a Black Body emitter coating that's supposed to let heat escape. I know some have used this on their intercooler but my fear with this coating is that it will draw heat in rather than emit it out. I have no evidence of this based on testing. It would be interesting if someone tested it.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Aaron, think physics and entropy. While the IC metal temperature is lower than the surroundings, it will indeed absorb heat until it is the same temperature as ambient conditions. As soon as you start boosting and transfer heat from the compressed air, it turns into a thermal emitter. This is true even without the black-body coating.

Sitting in traffic will warm the rear face exposed to the header and engine block due primarily to radiant energy, but to some extent convection of heated air and conduction through hot brackets. Start moving and only radiant energy plays any part.

I wouldn't hesitate to get a black-body emitting coating as it would certainly improve heat transfer by RADIATING across a broader spectrum. It would probably help little to CONDUCT more heat to air flowing through the IC. That's a function of surface area and temperature differential.

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
My thoughts were based on the “ambient” conditions of the intercooler being extremely close to the radiator as they are with any F-Max setup. Certainly this setup is better than the factory top mount intercooler on the DET motors but it's still close to a large heat sink (radiator). Rather than radiate I thought that this coating might contribute to insulation of heat instead.

As you also mention more airflow would certainly help. One of the planned future upgrades includes a bumper that will more fully expose the complete core of the intercooler.

I might have a spare intercooler to test out your idea out with. Just need to do some before and after tests. Any idea how to measure the results? A pyrometer would be sufficient while the car is not moving. But in motion it would be difficult to hit especially the areas behind the intercooler.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts