Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little part of cyberspace dedicated to discussing NPM project SE-R turbo.

With the (Evolution of the Turbo SE-R) series we're trying some different components to extract more power and quicker boost response.

The main ingredients for our recipe so far include HKS' GT3037 turbo and the F-Max Stage IV tubular exhaust manifold.

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hybrid DET said:
Havent got a new axle yet. I've been looking into driveshaftshop.com for help. I also need an undamaged one to install and take measurements from. [/B]
I hope that works out for you. The only thing keeping me from switching is the possibility of building a transmission that will require different axles.

BTW Chuck, your car didn’t seem to have problems getting up to "freeway speeds" to have fun with that Mustang either! I’ve got to get a ride in it sometime. :D

·
Moderator/ NPM staff
522 Posts
BTW Chuck, your car didn’t seem to have problems getting up to "freeway speeds"
Me speed? Never. :rolleyes:

I’ve got to get a ride in it sometime.
I'll be back in San Diego this summer, I'll take you for a ride then for sure, if not sooner.

What axles would you use if you went with another trani?

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hybrid DET said:
I'll be back in San Diego this summer, I'll take you for a ride then for sure, if not sooner.[/B]
Look forward to it!

What axles would you use if you went with another trani? [/B]

There has been some talk of using the Maxima 6 speed gearset and adapting it for a bell housing that would work on an SR20 motor. We might be able to use some type of factory Nissan axles for this but most likely we'll have to get custom ones built.

If we get custom ones built most likely we'll go for some heavy duty ones like driveshaft.com has. If we use factory axles we'll probably get them cryo treated.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Is there no way you can use the Sunny GTIR box which is a 6 speed box. That would probably be alot cheaper and possibly stonger. I have a Euro Spec Almera GTI which uses an SR20 engine ive been offered a turbo and box from a GTIR but i cant afford it.

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SR20D_GTI said:
Is there no way you can use the Sunny GTIR box which is a 6 speed box. That would probably be alot cheaper and possibly stonger. I have a Euro Spec Almera GTI which uses an SR20 engine ive been offered a turbo and box from a GTIR but i cant afford it.
The GTIR never came with a 6 speed. You might be thinking of the 6 speed that was used with the SR20VE. The band-aid (cryo and re-shotpeening) that I've used so far in conjunction with the Redline heavy gear oil has worked well so far.

One of our staff writers is working with an Australian company to develop a straight cut gearset for 1st gear through 4th. 5th gear will be helical so at least you can cruise on the highway without the whine from straight cut gears. These gears will be significantly stronger than anything else developed for the fwd SR20. When we have it, we'll have a full write-up.

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cranium said:
just a question, how much money do you think that you have rapped up in the se-r turbo (engine related componets only).
That's kind of a scary question! I did add up all the receipts for the turbo stuff and it's about $10K. This kind of takes things out of context though. I had quite a few extras that most people wouldn’t do and it would probably reduce the price by quite a bit. A short list of the extras

*Full 3" V-banded exhaust with straight pipe for race gas
*Swain Coatings on turbine and manifold
*Extrude Honed turbine
*72 lb injectors
*Water Injection

The GT3037 isn't really a cheep item either but the linear power delivery makes it worth it. The SR20 with one of these turbos feels more like a high revving small displacement V8 than a turbo 4 cylinder.

There’s also Sr20 bolt on stuff like pulleys and cams. I'm sure what I've spent probably pales in comparison to what some have dropped into their SR20's. But in order to do something like this I think you have to be the type of person who likes making cheep cars fast rather than buying the stereo typical fast car to begin with.

What ever you do; if you’re on the fence of deciding to do a project like this, don’t drive a car like the one you'd like to build. You'll be sold for sure :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
thanks, i am on the fence with this one and am contomplating the practicality(if there is any, but what do i care:)) how far can you push boost before water injection is a must?

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cranium said:
thanks, i am on the fence with this one and am contomplating the practicality(if there is any, but what do i care:)) how far can you push boost before water injection is a must?
I've run up to 12 psi safely. I definitely recommend the water injection though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts