Nissan Forum banner

141 - 160 of 196 Posts

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
LLopez161 said:
Hi, I own a 95 Path XE 3.0. I have been having one hell of a time trying to figure out why my Path all of the sudden started having start up problems. Don't get me wrong it starts but after it does its like it mis-firing and backfiring. I got this car in July of last year 05 and I never had a problem until now. I think this is a great car. I haven't had a chance to take it off-road yet but that was going to be my next adventure. I think the problem is the speed sensor or I'm hoping its not something worst. I just moved down to Florida and I haven't found a good mechanic yet. I like doing my own work on my car but some times I have to seek a higher power. So if some one could lend a hand I sure would appreciate it.
It could be that your timing belt has slipped. Doe its do this all the time or only when you try to start it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same problem, wasn't what I thought

LLopez161 said:
Hi, I own a 95 Path XE 3.0. I have been having one hell of a time trying to figure out why my Path all of the sudden started having start up problems. Don't get me wrong it starts but after it does its like it mis-firing and backfiring. I got this car in July of last year 05 and I never had a problem until now. I think this is a great car. I haven't had a chance to take it off-road yet but that was going to be my next adventure. I think the problem is the speed sensor or I'm hoping its not something worst. I just moved down to Florida and I haven't found a good mechanic yet. I like doing my own work on my car but some times I have to seek a higher power. So if some one could lend a hand I sure would appreciate it.
I thought it was a timing belt, for a week. Pulled off the hosing to find the belt perfect. Wel excelent anyways. Mine threw a valve. Quit trying to start it and pull the head, or buy a new engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
morepower2 said:
It could be that your timing belt has slipped. Doe its do this all the time or only when you try to start it?
The car does turn over but I have found out something very interesting. I have checked all my plugs and wires and rotor cap and check for good arc on all the wires and every things seems fine. As I read through my maintenance book on my Pathfinder I get the impression that my problem lies with either the Speed sensor or the throttle position sensor. Apparently these sensors control the timing and read outs on the tach. One of the symptoms that have really bothered me and lead me to believe this, is the fact that my tach isnt reading my rpms any more. When I start the car it stays 1000 rpms and if I push the gas pedal it jumps to 4000 rpms. These two sensors control the timing and the readings on the tach. Please tell me what you think. Everything else seems to be in working order. The car is due for a timing belt and new water pump change I will do that but I don't expect it to change the mis-firing issue. My car also seems to be backfiring through the tailpipe and through the magnofoil. What do you think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know the cams make the biggest difference in horsepower and torque and I 've read about the hp gains with the nissn motor sports cams ,I was just wondering what a set of 300zx cam would do? cause these can be found easily at the auto wreckers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you know of any technical problems involved in swapping out my '93 pathy's VG30 for a later model VG33? Would there be any fabrication or rerouting required? Would it just fit directly into the bay unmodified, with all it's bolt-on's?

thx for your time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Upgrading my 1998 Pathfinder

Hi all! I am writing from Panama, Central America. I have a 1998 Pathfinder LE with the 3.3L VG33 engine and the manual 5-speed transmission. It's almost completely stock, but very well kept. The only modifications are KYB shocks and struts to improve the ride and slightly bigger-than-stock 31x10.5R15LT Pirelli Scorpio A/T tires. It currently has 130K Km (about 80K miles). I have replaced the timing belt as preventive maintenance, and the distributor and AC compressor due to failures.

I use this truck as my daily driver, and it also sees its share of off-road driving, but nothing extreme. I have been reading about Project Pathfinder and other modified rigs, and I think its time to begin upgrading some other components. This is what I am thinking about to begin with:

JWT race cam shaft (S2 billet .473"/266°)
JWT pop charger air intake upgrade
High flow muffler (maybe Magnaflow)
Centerforce I clutch
Front cross-drilled rotors (brand unknown, from 4x4 Parts) and maybe better pads
2" coil spring lift w/camber alignment kit (brand unknown, from 4x4 Parts)
Warn manual hubs

What do you guys think? Does it make sense? Will the cams seriously affect the idle? What about when using the air conditioner? Will any of this seriously affect the reliability or comfort of the car when used as a daily driver?

Regarding the installation of the cams: Do I need to replace the valve springs when I swap the cams, and if so, should I use stock springs or the ones sold by JWT? Also, from the maintenance and service manual it seems as if the cams can be replaced without completely disassembling the cylinder head. Is this possible and advisable, or should I do a complete cylinder head overhaul?

Finally, does anyone know where to get headers or exhaust systems for this truck?

Thanks for all the great info and advice so far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys,

Loved the Project Pathy thread but wish ya would update it already. Was very impressed when you said you smoked a 240ish HP VQ35DE Pathfinder with your WD21.

Some questions if ya every update the thread....

So what was your final Compression Ratio?

Is your auto tranny still acting up? I'd imagine so.

If Tranny issues where ever resolved, did you ever dyno her?

I think a shift kit would definitely be in order. Consider your not a serious wheeler, that thing would be a freaking blast with a 5-speed with that kinda n/a power. The stock Pathfinder Trannies last longer then the average american auto tranny by a long shot, but that's not saying much....lol. A big ass tranny cooler is a must whether your a soccer mom or a hardcore wheeler. If/when those auto trannies are ready to take a dump the reverse will go out first.

As for those wanting headers. I'm sure stillen made VG30E headers for the older Maximas but I don't ever remember them making headers specifically for the wd21 pathfinder. The Throley headers are nice ass headers as long as one doesn't use the garbage gaskets they sell them with. OEM Nissan Gaskets or high quality gaskets like Fel-Pro are a must if your going to do Thorley headers. They say they don't fit Auto trannies but this thread is proof they fit just fine. If your wd21 has a lift you'll have to slightly modify(extend) the y-pipe on the passender side.

Would love to hear some update of the *VG34E* powered wd21

If your driving on the street so much, might as well throw on a 150 wet shot of nitrous ..hehe. The VG30E stock engines will take big of a shot/jet that with no problems whatsoever.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
HighDesertNissan said:
Hey guys,

Loved the Project Pathy thread but wish ya would update it already. Was very impressed when you said you smoked a 240ish HP VQ35DE Pathfinder with your WD21.

Some questions if ya every update the thread....

So what was your final Compression Ratio?

Is your auto tranny still acting up? I'd imagine so.

If Tranny issues where ever resolved, did you ever dyno her?

I think a shift kit would definitely be in order. Consider your not a serious wheeler, that thing would be a freaking blast with a 5-speed with that kinda n/a power. The stock Pathfinder Trannies last longer then the average american auto tranny by a long shot, but that's not saying much....lol. A big ass tranny cooler is a must whether your a soccer mom or a hardcore wheeler. If/when those auto trannies are ready to take a dump the reverse will go out first.

As for those wanting headers. I'm sure stillen made VG30E headers for the older Maximas but I don't ever remember them making headers specifically for the wd21 pathfinder. The Throley headers are nice ass headers as long as one doesn't use the garbage gaskets they sell them with. OEM Nissan Gaskets or high quality gaskets like Fel-Pro are a must if your going to do Thorley headers. They say they don't fit Auto trannies but this thread is proof they fit just fine. If your wd21 has a lift you'll have to slightly modify(extend) the y-pipe on the passender side.

Would love to hear some update of the *VG34E* powered wd21

If your driving on the street so much, might as well throw on a 150 wet shot of nitrous ..hehe. The VG30E stock engines will take big of a shot/jet that with no problems whatsoever.
As per the article on the bottom end, the compression ratio after unshrouding the valves in the combustion chamber is 9.6:1 with no headwork its 9.8:1. In the first issue we added a trans cooler. We plan to add a transgo shfit kit soon.

We dynoed it at 265 whp up from the stock with bolt ons 125 whp. This is the same as a supercharged fronteir with an automatic transmission without the heat and stress of a supercharger..

·
Registered
16 Posts
morepower2 said:
As per the article on the bottom end, the compression ratio after unshrouding the valves in the combustion chamber is 9.6:1 with no headwork its 9.8:1. In the first issue we added a trans cooler. We plan to add a transgo shfit kit soon.

We dynoed it at 265 whp up from the stock with bolt ons 125 whp. This is the same as a supercharged fronteir with an automatic transmission without the heat and stress of a supercharger..
I only asked about the compression as I thought it might have changed with further work. My bad on missing the tranny cooler.

Your engine is putting 265horse to the wheels....nice. If one uses a conservative estimate of 15% loss of power, your engine is putting as much to the wheels as a VG30DeTT or a VQ35DE from a later Z or G35.

As for the Supercharged Fronty comparison, Your way off, your putting way more HP to the ground then even a manaul supercharged Fronty. I owned the later, even with a manual tranny she was a dog relative to the fact that the Supercharged engine sucked gas like a sive. Your Pathfinder would be a freaking blast with a manual and the wheels and tires your running.

I've got a 1994 Pathfinder and reading your Article early last year was my inspriation to do the VG34E. Got every part, including heads that have already been pNp'd with a 3-angle valve job, just need some install time.

Peace & Keep up the good work. I'll send your pics and info when I'm finished building the 800-1000hp VG30E that I'm swapping in my 1996 240sx shell.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
HighDesertNissan said:
I only asked about the compression as I thought it might have changed with further work. My bad on missing the tranny cooler.

Your engine is putting 265horse to the wheels....nice. If one uses a conservative estimate of 15% loss of power, your engine is putting as much to the wheels as a VG30DeTT or a VQ35DE from a later Z or G35.

As for the Supercharged Fronty comparison, Your way off, your putting way more HP to the ground then even a manaul supercharged Fronty. I owned the later, even with a manual tranny she was a dog relative to the fact that the Supercharged engine sucked gas like a sive. Your Pathfinder would be a freaking blast with a manual and the wheels and tires your running.

I've got a 1994 Pathfinder and reading your Article early last year was my inspriation to do the VG34E. Got every part, including heads that have already been pNp'd with a 3-angle valve job, just need some install time.

Peace & Keep up the good work. I'll send your pics and info when I'm finished building the 800-1000hp VG30E that I'm swapping in my 1996 240sx shell.
Whoa sorry, I was meaning 175 whp, I had a brain fart. It has a slightly better powerband with the same peak power as a supercharged automatic Xterra we dynod at the same time.

Send us pics of your project, we would love to feature it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
morepower2 said:
Whoa sorry, I was meaning 175 whp, I had a brain fart. It has a slightly better powerband with the same peak power as a supercharged automatic Xterra we dynod at the same time.

Send us pics of your project, we would love to feature it.

Hey,

I always use a conservative estimate of 15% for frontWD or RWD cars and 21% HP loss for awd or 4x4 trucks. You must be losing some serious HP @ the wheels. The 265 definitely sounded way to high and 175whp sounds to low...huuummm.

Did you do an Oil filter relocation. Said mod will give a 5.5 quart oil capacity with excellent filtration with two huge oil filters. The stock Oil capacity is pathetic for a hard working mod'd engine. All you have to do is custom fab some kind of tray under the filters for oil drip during changes.

I'm starting on my S14 project in a month. I'd love for you guys to feature it. I wanna shoot for 1000+crank hp....we'll c. Lots and lots of money going into my VG30E w/ a cryo treated VG30DETT forged crank and everything you can think of.

Everything is a trade off(of course) but I'd really prefer the stock 240sx IFS with a nice LSD. I have a feeling that I'm gonna have to custom fab a Ford 9" rear axle as I just can't c the stock rear IFS handling 900+ horses. Love the Straight axles on the drag strip and can't stand em on the street....we'll c.

Peace

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
HighDesertNissan said:
Hey,

I always use a conservative estimate of 15% for frontWD or RWD cars and 21% HP loss for awd or 4x4 trucks. You must be losing some serious HP @ the wheels. The 265 definitely sounded way to high and 175whp sounds to low...huuummm.

Did you do an Oil filter relocation. Said mod will give a 5.5 quart oil capacity with excellent filtration with two huge oil filters. The stock Oil capacity is pathetic for a hard working mod'd engine. All you have to do is custom fab some kind of tray under the filters for oil drip during changes.

I'm starting on my S14 project in a month. I'd love for you guys to feature it. I wanna shoot for 1000+crank hp....we'll c. Lots and lots of money going into my VG30E w/ a cryo treated VG30DETT forged crank and everything you can think of.

Everything is a trade off(of course) but I'd really prefer the stock 240sx IFS with a nice LSD. I have a feeling that I'm gonna have to custom fab a Ford 9" rear axle as I just can't c the stock rear IFS handling 900+ horses. Love the Straight axles on the drag strip and can't stand em on the street....we'll c.

Peace
An automatic transmission soaks up lots of power as does the heavy 4WD drivetrain. For example an A/T FWD Supercharged Xtterra had about the same peak power and less power under the curve.

A R200 diff with a 4 pinion LSD can withstand 900 hp, the stub axles will break first. Keep us in mind for your car, we would love to feature it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
morepower2 said:
An automatic transmission soaks up lots of power as does the heavy 4WD drivetrain. For example an A/T FWD Supercharged Xtterra had about the same peak power and less power under the curve.

A R200 diff with a 4 pinion LSD can withstand 900 hp, the stub axles will break first. Keep us in mind for your car, we would love to feature it.
Yeah, the auto tranny is killing your power. I've always heard 15%+ power loss from Auto trannies. If your tranny takes a dump I'd just swap a 5 Speed.

Anyway, thanks for the diff info. My goal will be 8.90 Seconds @ 163Mph or better. I wanna multimap ecu so I can run as much HP on the street as possible on 91 and then 101 Trick gas(right around the corner from me for $4.50/gallon) for the drag strip. It'll end up being a street legal race car.

I actually have a RB26DETT(Godzilla..hehe) engine pretty much stole from a JDM importer but I don't even know if the I-6 will fit in the 240. The VG30E has .4 more displacement and it's lighter then the later engine. I think it's gonna freaking rock in the S14!:jump: Inline engines are easier to work on but it's all relative. In my 1972 240Z the VG30E has enough room in the engine bay for anything you'd wanna put in their.

You definitley set a Bar for WD21 N/A Pathfinder power.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
HighDesertNissan said:
Yeah, the auto tranny is killing your power. I've always heard 15%+ power loss from Auto trannies. If your tranny takes a dump I'd just swap a 5 Speed.

Anyway, thanks for the diff info. My goal will be 8.90 Seconds @ 163Mph or better. I wanna multimap ecu so I can run as much HP on the street as possible on 91 and then 101 Trick gas(right around the corner from me for $4.50/gallon) for the drag strip. It'll end up being a street legal race car.

I actually have a RB26DETT(Godzilla..hehe) engine pretty much stole from a JDM importer but I don't even know if the I-6 will fit in the 240. The VG30E has .4 more displacement and it's lighter then the later engine. I think it's gonna freaking rock in the S14!:jump: Inline engines are easier to work on but it's all relative. In my 1972 240Z the VG30E has enough room in the engine bay for anything you'd wanna put in their.

You definitley set a Bar for WD21 N/A Pathfinder power.
An auto si better for towing and off road so its staying auto. The RB is an easy sway in a 240, their are kits to do it even. Its also a lot easier motor to get 1000 hp out of, there are bolt on solutions for this kind of power with an RB.

·
Registered
195 Posts
improving power in vg30e

morepower2 said:
I don't like SUV's and I don't want to spend any more money on one than I have to! Plus the old pathfinder has better brakes, stronger body on frame construction and much better off road capabilty. The motor I am going to build has 260 hp and more torque than the VQ stock.

Mike
I am extremely, extremely interested in learing about how you will make the VG30e engine in your Pathfinder make 260 HP naturally aspirated. I know it has a very strong bottom end, but the intake manifold and upper breaking limit power to about 170HP with stock stuff. I'm owner of a 1993 Nissan Maxima and the same basic VG30e engine. Would love to learn how you're doing it, what parts you'll buy and so forth, to make about an extra 100 Horse than what you have now. I like the torque delivery of the VG engine family and I have a 2001 VQ engine as well, in a 2001 Maxima and even thought it has more power, it is a nicer torque band in the older VG engine in my opinion. I love my old 3rd Generation Maxima and any ideas of improving the VG30 engine in a Pathfinder should be equally applicable to the older Maxima as well I think.

Please keep us all posted! Keep up the good work!

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
alexnds said:
I am extremely, extremely interested in learing about how you will make the VG30e engine in your Pathfinder make 260 HP naturally aspirated. I know it has a very strong bottom end, but the intake manifold and upper breaking limit power to about 170HP with stock stuff. I'm owner of a 1993 Nissan Maxima and the same basic VG30e engine. Would love to learn how you're doing it, what parts you'll buy and so forth, to make about an extra 100 Horse than what you have now. I like the torque delivery of the VG engine family and I have a 2001 VQ engine as well, in a 2001 Maxima and even thought it has more power, it is a nicer torque band in the older VG engine in my opinion. I love my old 3rd Generation Maxima and any ideas of improving the VG30 engine in a Pathfinder should be equally applicable to the older Maxima as well I think.

Please keep us all posted! Keep up the good work!
read this series.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/projects/pathfinder.php

·
Registered
48 Posts
I fully agree with jadcock on the modern vehicles modification , as they can easily acheived, I had a friend of mine who did his mods on the chevy blazer, this what i have seen to his stock engine. He piggybacks his stoch ECU and also modulated the torque convertor. What happens is the High Flow Intake system adjusts the air-fuel ratio to optimal settings in conjunction with the Intake system. I think stock intake system from pathfinder has deficiencies in supplying air needed by the engine.This system helps the engine breath much better and give the car quicker acceleration and much crisper throttle response in the entire RPM range. Performance gains: +9-12% HP and +9-12% torque.
The mods carried were on the manifold, exhausts , piggyback ecu, and torque convertor using The material choice was ductile Iron because of its superior properties in turbo manifold applications such as excellent crack resistance, high temperature .

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
mann777 said:
I fully agree with jadcock on the modern vehicles modification , as they can easily acheived, I had a friend of mine who did his mods on the chevy blazer, this what i have seen to his stock engine. He piggybacks his stoch ECU and also modulated the torque convertor. What happens is the High Flow Intake system adjusts the air-fuel ratio to optimal settings in conjunction with the Intake system. I think stock intake system from pathfinder has deficiencies in supplying air needed by the engine.This system helps the engine breath much better and give the car quicker acceleration and much crisper throttle response in the entire RPM range. Performance gains: +9-12% HP and +9-12% torque.
The mods carried were on the manifold, exhausts , piggyback ecu, and torque convertor using The material choice was ductile Iron because of its superior properties in turbo manifold applications such as excellent crack resistance, high temperature .
Piggybacks often don't work well as they fight the stock ECU's self learning control. For this reason we had Jim Wolf Technology reprogram our OEM ECU.

141 - 160 of 196 Posts