Nissan Forum banner

181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
3,553 Posts
alexnds said:
You don't think that going from 165 HP to 200 or maybe 230 HP is too much?
Hey, people come for advice, not sarcastic feedback. I have posted repeatedly and have posted links to motorvane.com dyno results where an additional 35 HP at the crank, over any rpm rpm range was achieved, with basic improvements in breathing,i.e: Warspeed Y-pipe and ignition timing and cold air intake. So to go from 165 to about 195 HP was not unreasonable. Some people are advanced engine builders that post, others are amateur hobby mechanics but as a whole, we have an avid interest in sharing information and helping each other. I've found the site as a whole to be full of nice guys sharing info without any sarcasm directed by anyone to anyone else.
I wasn't poking fun at your goal, just the requests for URL's and answers. Can you not use search engines and read things yourself sometimes? Go wash the sand out of your vagina, please.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Take a pill

take a pill people. He ain't putting u down, just giving u info. He's giving u good info too. Besides, intelligent, stuck up people(when it comes to their craft or passion), usually know what there talking about. 35 HP, from intake, exaust & timing is some thing to be proud of. U ain't gettin' much more, unless u build your own engine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok i have some cams i brought and i am ready to get them ground
Morepower can you recomend a duration thats not going to give me a good idle that will work with a std computer and still deliever a performance increase
Gee i dont want much to i Ha ha

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
jetski_waxhead said:
Ok i have some cams i brought and i am ready to get them ground
Morepower can you recomend a duration thats not going to give me a good idle that will work with a std computer and still deliever a performance increase
Gee i dont want much to i Ha ha
I recomend that you don't try to make your own cams. There is a lot of engineering behind them and small idnepedent cam grinders don't understand how to grind shim and bucket follower shape lobes, not to mention coil bind height, etc of the particular head. They also won't understand the harmonics, lobe center spacing, max lift, etc of this particular engine.

Buy the recomended cams.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ok fair enough
i am looking at the figures on the z31 website that talk about cams but it doesnt show if they are measured at 50 thou so i am not sure what camshafts i am really getting

i cant compare to other one correctly

·
3,553 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
low power gains for old car

HighDesertNissan said:
Hey bro,

Here's the reality. No dis whatsoever but I'm assuming that your not rich with tons of money to burn if your driving an older Maxima. More often then not it's VERY expensive to extract serious HP from any Naturally Aspirated(n/a) engine. This rule of thumb definitely follows with the VG as one can easily c with this great thread. Just those Nissan Motor Sports#2 Cams alone are gonna run one $600.00. Nissan offers some excellent cams sold under the Nismo name that will offer a significant power increase WITHOUT any idle lope but they're still gonna run you $400-$600! Nissan never made the 3.3L V6 for transverse mounting(front wheel drive like your Maxima) so Dropping in a VG33E would be more money then it's worth as this would require significant tranny and drivetrain mods. Unless your best friend is a machinist& pro mechanic willing to work for cheap, Boring out and Building engines get's VERY expensive very fast. A JWT tuned ECU is gonna run $500+ dollars just for the basic shelf tune. You will need some sort of engine/fuel manegment over the stock ecu for any turbo application though. The Romulator is awesome with proper tuning.

The bottom line is that with your relatively low power goals you could easily build a fast *JUnkyard Turbocharged* Maxima for less then what it would cost to reach lower power levels with a built N/A engine like Project Pathfinder. THe maxima is a completely different animal then a Pahtfinder and even with 400+ crank HP you'd have little if any turbo lag.

ALso, If you invest allot of money into a Maxima VG engine your not going to have NEAR the resale value that you would with a Pathfinder (front to back- rear wheel drive) engine. If you only invested in basic bolt on's you could part out if/when your ready to sell but your not going to c much if any of your money back if you invest in machining. The VG engines for rear wheel driving mounting like those in the Pathfinders, Hardbodys and Xterras will still be popular engine swaps in 6+ years.

Check out some of the Maxima specific forums as their's weeks of great reading on turbocharging a Maxima for minimal cost.

Turbo or not, I'd HIGHLY reco that you check E-bay and abroad for some Excellent Condition *Morgans Cams gears*. The gains on a Turbo charged engine are significant in torque with lil loss of HP and even N/a gains should be worth the install and tuning.

If you buy any expensive cams have them Parkerized. THis is an ole secret of the pros. IMHO ALL performance cams should come from the factory parkerized. Cams don't break like Piston Ring lands or even rods but they do wear. Parkerizing will significantly reduce wear on your cams giving them lots of life whether you keep them or sell them.

ALmost forgot. As far as Ignition and fuel pressure regulators go. Your stock Stuff is MORE then capable of handling what you want to throw @ it whether boosted or N/a. Their's a plehtora of misinformation when it comes to aftermarket ignition systems. For most people upgrading the ignition is a bloody waste of money better spent on a nice stash of Full Synthetic oil. You wouldn't need either of the later updgrades with even 500hp and I wouldn't be suprised if you saw less then 3HP @ the wheels with an aftermarket ignition with unless your going to 700ish HP! I don't know when the Stock VG Fuel Pressure Regulators become a bottleneck but their's plenty of guys running 500+ whp on the stock units. Nissan Builds great Sh*T!

Peace and Good LUck

Morepower2 - Gratsi for the bolt info. I could have sworn that I read @ least ten examples of tuners swapping the VG30dett heads easily onto the VG30e/VG33e. I already have the Jun crankshaft.......it's gorgeous...just needs the same machine work the forged VG30dett crank needs.

Peace
Your reply is very well thought out and highly appreciated. This car is not my primary driving car, and you're right, spending alot of money on FWD card, with the goal of adding about 50 HP to the stock engine is not economically practical, considering the fact, that the car as a whole is not worth very much in real dollars, but is worth to me only in terms of some sentimental value. That's the only reason I keep the car at all. That being said, a project like Project Pathfinder, while excellent for information, involves machine work and headwork that gave outstanding results on a naturally aspirated VG family engine but the results are not directly applicable to a close Front Wheel drive cousin. The dollars to performace achieved is better accomplished with a turbo, which will cost far less, and can probably easily push the engine to about 210 HP. I've seen articles describing how to do it with the VG30dett,and custom exhaust being done to route the exhaust gases to spin the turbo. I would appreciate any URL links to morgan cam gears you've suggested, any input on the size of the bigger injectors needed, and where to get the software for the ECU that will help adjust air-to-fuel ratio and fuel map once under turbo pressure. I'm familiar with JWT website. Any help from yourself or fellow members highly appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recomend that you don't try to make your own cams. There is a lot of engineering behind them and small idnepedent cam grinders don't understand how to grind shim and bucket follower shape lobes, not to mention coil bind height, etc of the particular head. They also won't understand the harmonics, lobe center spacing, max lift, etc of this particular engine.

Buy the recomended cams.
Will the 262 cams work on 2005 Nissan PF 4.0L engine?

I had put the 262s in my 97 PF and they were fine with a little bit of loping. I want the torque gains as opposed to the upper end HP gains. The cams referred to early posts from 4x4.com give gains in the 2800 - 3200 RPM range in the 2005 version. I'd like to see gains more in the 1500 - 2500 RPM range. I think someone had mentioned JWT supercharging elsewhere but that gives gains primarily in the 4000 - 6000 range.

181 - 195 of 195 Posts