Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Moderator/ NPM staff
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Nismo Project: B12 SR20DET

This thread is for discussion, questions, and feedback regarding The Nismo Project.

Expect to see more articles on engine, suspension, and aesthetic modifcations in the upcoming months. Stay tuned, "the little sentra that could" is working towards its 300 horsepower goal. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
What kind of mods does it have and what do you have planned for it in details

·
Moderator/ NPM staff
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Engine:
JDM SR20DE
VLSD transmission
GTI-R turbo Manifold
T28 turbo
370cc injectors
2-1/4 mandrel intercooler piping
Mitsubishi intercooler core
with custom end tanks
Oil Catch can
300zx Pop Filter
JWT Engine mounts
Clutch specialties 6 puck
JWT ECU
Blitz super sound blow off
Front Strut Bar
SER radiator

Exhaust
3" Ultra flow Muffler
3" Mandrel bent downpipe
3" Mandrel bent exhaust system
3" Test pipe

Suspension:
KYB AGX adjustable struts
Ground control coil over kit
Front strut bar

Brakes
AD22VF NX2000
Power slot rotors
Axxis Pads
SMC steel braided lines
motul 600

Interior:
Autopower Roll bar
My Carr racing pedals
Momo Carbon Fiber shift knob
Sport coupe seats
HKS EGT
Auto power boost gauge
Auto power Tachomter
Greddy Turbo Timer
Blitz Twin solenoid boost controller
Autopower Camera mount
Momo Race steering wheel

Wheels
5Zigen FN01-R
195/50/15VR Falken Azenis
Ray's Engineering race nuts

14" 200sx rims
Nitto 555R drag radials

I maybe forgetting some things. I'll answer you other question when i get out of class.
:D

·
Moderator/ NPM staff
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interior (cont)
SMC Short Shifter

Exterior:
Xenon Body Kit
Nismo LE Front Grill W/
Sunny Super Saloon Emblem
JDM clear corners
Nissan Hardbody clear bumper lenses
Moroso Kill Switch W/
Battery relocation kit

and what do you have planned for it in details
Future plans are not definate at the moment, but it will definately a bigger turbo with of course more power. I am looking towards a t3/4 hybrid turbo, 50lb msd injectors, Cobra MAF, JWT fuel rail, and of more boost! :D

Outside the engine compartment I would ike to get a new set of rims and tires and also figure out a clean way to do a rear disc brake conversion.

F

·
0 Posts
Hybrid-DET

I have a U13 Bluebird SSS attess and was wondering
What was involved in installing the GTiR manifold.. I have the BB sr20det manifld but Iheard the GTiR manifold was stronger. Also what work was involved in teh T28 using the GTiR manifold???

·
Registered
37 Posts
hi hybrid det!!!

i'm b12sr20de from the philippines. i've just read the newest part of the nismo project this morning(i was surprised beacause of the long wait...tought that the project was already done).

since i've discovered the nismo project on sentra.net, it served as an inspiration to pursue my project, to drop a sr2ode in my b12 sentra sedan. reading your pages, i realized that i was not the only b12 owner who wanted a sr20 in his car( i only know 2, you and another one on another site(a white one)). i can say is "UR the MAN!!!"

well my project is to swap my e13 engine(so slow!!!) to a sr20de.
a few weeks ago i started on my project, i bought an incomplete jdm sr20 in a surplus shop. but its from a rwd car, it has no ecu, no tranny, no axles. so i changed my plans, instead of going to EFI, im planning to go wid weber 45mm twin side draft carbs...
right now im still completing my engine, buy tranny, axles, carbs, manifold, etc.

i have some questions to ask..
do all fwd sr20de trannies have vlsd???
is it better to go for a sr18 tranny than a sr20???
what is your quarter mile time with the sr20de??
how bout the det???

i just want you to give some comments and suggestions regarding my project : ).

thanks man...

b12sr20de

·
Moderator/ NPM staff
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hybrid-DET

I have a U13 Bluebird SSS attess and was wondering
What was involved in installing the GTiR manifold.. I have the BB sr20det manifld but Iheard the GTiR manifold was stronger. Also what work was involved in teh T28 using the GTiR manifold???
You heard right, Nissan did make the the GTI-R manifold much thicker and stronger, probably to stand up to the abuse it would take during rally racing. I have seen a bluebird and a GTI-R manifold side by side and they both appear to be the same design, except for the difference in thickness. I would guess that one could be a direct replacement for the other and dont believe it would require modification. Anybody reading this, correct me if I am wrong but thats what I have observed. I also believe that the T-28 from a pulsar can directly replace the bluebird T-25. Before you go out and start unbolting stuff be sure to check further into it. Maybe try the turbo-gurus who hang out in the turbo forum.

Good luck!

F

·
0 Posts
hybrid DET said:

You heard right, Nissan did make the the GTI-R manifold much thicker and stronger, probably to stand up to the abuse it would take during rally racing. I have seen a bluebird and a GTI-R manifold side by side and they both appear to be the same design, except for the difference in thickness. I would guess that one could be a direct replacement for the other and dont believe it would require modification. Anybody reading this, correct me if I am wrong but thats what I have observed. I also believe that the T-28 from a pulsar can directly replace the bluebird T-25. Before you go out and start unbolting stuff be sure to check further into it. Maybe try the turbo-gurus who hang out in the turbo forum.

Good luck!
Thanks man...after searching through import dealers no GTiR manifold. SO I guess I have to seattle with the HKS sr20det Manifold or Custom manifold to fit mt GT30 Ballbearing turbo rated at 600HP max.

·
Moderator/ NPM staff
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: hi hybrid det!!!

b12sr20de said:
i'm b12sr20de from the philippines. i've just read the newest part of the nismo project this morning(i was surprised beacause of the long wait...tought that the project was already done).
There is no end the project will always continue!!! Check for more modifications in the updates this summer.

i have some questions to ask..
do all fwd sr20de trannies have vlsd??? is it better to go for a sr18 tranny than a sr20???
No, only the 91-97 se-r transmissions are VLSD.
Do you mean sr16de? either way I'm not too sure about that one.
what is your quarter mile time with the sr20de??
how bout the det???
Havent 1/4 miled it yet, but it ran a 8.8 in the 1/8 mile which should be a high to mid thirteen second 1/4 mile.
i just want you to give some comments and suggestions regarding my project : ).
I think you should try your best to stick with fuel injection as carbs are often hard to tune and unreliable. They also cannot handle boost to well if you plan to go turbo in the future. If you need an ECU I have one from a NX2000 I was selling for 50$. Email me if you need it.

thanks man...

b12sr20de
no problem and good luck!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
hybrid det

hi again... just read your letter and the newest part of the nismo project(part 6). was amazed wd the results, tuning the suspension made a really big difference huh!(think my car needs it also in the future...), OUCCCCHHHH to the WRX!!! smoked by a sentra!!!!, i'm sure he had a hard time accepting his lost...

I think you should try your best to stick with fuel injection as carbs are often hard to tune and unreliable. They also cannot handle boost to well if you plan to go turbo in the future. If you need an ECU I have one from a NX2000 I was selling for 50$. Email me if you need it.

umm... regarding wd the fuel injection, i agree and appreciate your advice but there is a problem, the engine is from a rwd so unfortunately the intake is going out to the left (which it will be hitting the area of the right strut...) and i dont think i can buy an intake manifold only..so thats why i am planning to go on carbs coz i want to build a killer NA sr20(pretending to be stock)... but maybe when i get sick wd the tuning of the carbs i maybe going for EFI. hehehe...

i was wondering, where did you get and how much$ are those white signal lights(blinkers) on your front bumper.(mine are orange) how can i get one of those??

your car looks mean( it is!) i made it as my wallpaper on my pc!!!
and i cant believe charles johnson the owner of tne hybrid sentra is talking to me and giving me advice....cool!

NPM, nissanforums, sentra.net, se-r.net are really great sites
more power to you and the rest of the staff and
more horsepower to your sentra

...thanks....

·
Moderator/ NPM staff
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Re: hybrid det

[/QUOTE]
b12sr20de said:
i was wondering, where did you get and how much$ are those white signal lights(blinkers) on your front bumper.(mine are orange) how can i get one of those
Those bumper lenses are actually aftermarket clear lenses made for a hardbody truck. They were a great upgrade, only costing 40 bucks!!!
your car looks mean( it is!) i made it as my wallpaper on my pc!!!
and i cant believe charles johnson the owner of tne hybrid sentra is talking to me and giving me advice....cool!
hey, I'm Just a guy who loves his car and wants to see more fast one's like them on the street. :)

wow, the sentra adored on someone else's wallpaper other than mine... I would have never imagined. but thanks, it's nice to know that the project is appreciated.

NPM, nissanforums, sentra.net, se-r.net are really great sites
more power to you and the rest of the staff and
more horsepower to your sentra
Thanks! I'm sure the rest of the guys appreciate it to :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
hybrid det

are Yokohama ADVANs semi-slicks available in the U.S. market??
if yes, (just a suggestion), they are better than drag radials...

here in the philippines (especially in japan)they prefer Yokohama ADVANs than drag radials coz they are available in the market...and i think they provide more traction...my friends use them during legal and special races..

...or better use slicks(much better coz your car is turbo!!!)

...just a suggestion...

...b12sr20de...

·
Registered
9 Posts
B12-forever

Hi Charles,

It seems that you're making a lot of progress with your B12. If I see your car, I regret a bit that I didn't "Go Turbo". But if you've read my e-mail you know that i'm going to the 200bhp this summer.

Next week I'm going to install a set of cams.

Greetz,

B12-power

B

·
0 Posts
Hey Charles,
I want to start off by saying that you have made your B12 into one tight ass machine! After discovering the Nismo Project on sentra.net, your car has served as an inspiration to me to make my B12 sentra into a mean car. Anyways, I eventually would like to do an sr20 swap into my 1990 xe, but I'm trying to figure out what would be the most cost efficient and easiest way to attain all the parts necessary to do the swap. I've been hunting the junkyards online and in-person and have found some parts to do the swap, but being a junkyard, the engines never have the wiring harnesses attached because they just clip them, and the reliability of these is questionable as well. I see that you have a JDM SR20 in your car, which I'm also considering to get, but then again a lot of places I've gone to to look for JDM engines clip the harnesses and don't always include all of the external components. If you could recommend the best way to get all the parts for cheapest, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm still in school, and am kind of on a budget. Thanks.

·
Moderator/ NPM staff
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a student myself so I understand the budget thing. The engine harness is the only wiring harness you need. It connects to the engine and goes about two feet into the firewall where it connects to the ECU. I always see SE-R and DET wiring harnesses on the classifieds for SE-R.net, sr20deforums.com, and here. http://classifieds.se-r.net/ForSale...tion/FI&MachineTypeId=CO3&MachineId=CO3X99NSA This is one I found this morning.

I believe this is all the parts you need:
Engine (91-94 preferrably) w/ mounts + one body mount
Transmission w/mount and LSD (91-97)
Axles (make sure they match the trani)
Wiring harness
ECU (91-94: no OBD crap on the 95+)
Crossmember (i've seen a few for sale online somewhere also)
SER Brakes (optional: you can press replace the b12 hub with a b13 hub and use the b12 brakes)

Just keep you eye out on the internet for people selling these parts. Junk yards will always be really high in price. You may want to Chris at sr20development. He has a garage full of Se-R parts and maybe able to help.

good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
i've got some questions..

hey charles,

regarding the hybrid b12...

from what car and what year did the sr20de you use came from???

what tranny did you use?? is it the tranny fom the same engine and same car??

regarding the axles, did you use the se-r axles or what??

how did the axles fit on the b12 disc brakes??? do they need machining or do they bolt on the b12 disc brakes???

regarding the enginew supports, did you move any of them???

regarding the engine brackets, did you fabricate new ones or you used the same brackets??

how bout the rewiring of the harnesses??? is it a nightmare???

is the sr20de tranny cable type???

does the sr20ve bolt the same in the b12 as the sr20de???

my plans had change butr not still sure...my friend here int the phil is an importer from japan, i asked him if he could get me a sr20ve font clip from japan. he said ihe can get me one so im planning to get a sr20ve and use a sr20de tranny...hope he's gon na be succesful in finding one...

i need your expert advice and answers to my questions when u hav the time.. thanks....

C

·
0 Posts
I have a couple questions about the stock suspension on a B12. After reading the "Project B12..." article, I thought that you'd be the best person to ask.

A friend of mine has an old B12 that isn't in very good condition. The suspension, in particular concerns me. She said that she had the struts and springs replace not so long ago, but the car rolls WAAAAAY too much around even the slowest corners. Changing lanes at freeway speeds is down right dangerous! I'm sorry, but I don't know the trim level of the car. I hope that doesn't make it difficult for you to provide me with any information.

She asked me if I could drive and take a lot at the car to see what the problem was. After driving it, I immediately thought "sway bar". I looked underneath the car and was surprised to find that there was nothing even remotely resembling a sway bar.

My questions are as follows:
1. Is there supposed to at least be a front sway bar on the car.
2. If not, is there something else that is supposed to minimize body roll. If so, what is it and is it easy to replace?

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

Jonathan Carson
SoCal240SX member/moderator
freshalloy administrator

·
Moderator/ NPM staff
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: i've got some questions..

from what car and what year did the sr20de you use came from???

The sr20 in it right now is from a 93 model.

what tranny did you use?? is it the tranny fom the same engine and same car??

The trani came from a 93 model as well.

regarding the axles, did you use the se-r axles or what??

The axles are from a 91 sentra se-r. Do not get the 95+ axles!

how did the axles fit on the b12 disc brakes??? do they need machining or do they bolt on the b12 disc brakes???

I used the se-r front brakes, they bolt into the b12 suspension just fine.

regarding the enginew supports, did you move any of them???

I dont understand what you mean. All the mods i made to the engine mounts are explained in the article. None of them are bolt in.

regarding the engine brackets, did you fabricate new ones or you used the same brackets??

Look over the articles. They explain all the fabrication involved in the swap.

how bout the rewiring of the harnesses??? is it a nightmare???

For me the wiring harness was. The main problem lies in connecting the b12 wiring harness to the sr20 harness where neccessary.

is the sr20de tranny cable type???

There are some that are hydraulic but dont get those. Be sure to get a cable trani.

does the sr20ve bolt the same in the b12 as the sr20de???

I believe so, if chris at sr20development wants to hand one over to me I'll find out for sure. :)

my plans had change butr not still sure...my friend here int the phil is an importer from japan, i asked him if he could get me a sr20ve font clip from japan. he said ihe can get me one so im planning to get a sr20ve and use a sr20de tranny...hope he's gon na be succesful in finding one...

If you get your hands on an entire front half (body included) it will give you just about everything you need. I've thought about doing the same swap lately but at this point it really wouldnt be benificial to the project.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts