Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problems started when my girlfriend was driving and the car lost power. She pulled over and the car didn't start after that.

There was fuel coming into the engine but the spark was very weak. I changed the plugs and distributor cap and after that the car started, but with problems.

By now the symptoms are as following:
1) The car won't start at all and there hardly any spark
2) The car will start and idle OK, but it keeps "skipping" and as soon as I press the throttle it will stall
3) The car will start OK after few tries and I can even drive around the yard without problems. If I rev it smoothly then it doesn't have any troubles but revving rapidly will stall it (at around 4000 rpm)

If the car is running then the spark is strong and good.

It's and 1997 Nissan Pulsar manual with a 1,6l petrol engine.

Any ideas?

Ardo

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,440 Posts
I can't say for sure if it's your particular problem, but the E16 engines were infamous for ignition modules failing, causing a no spark condition when they got hot. After they sat for 20 mins to an hour and cooled off, they would start back up and run fine until they get hot again. If that's the case, replace the distributor assy. I would recommend a genuine Nissan reman. distributor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fact if the engine is cool or hot, doesn't seem to make any difference.

A weak spark or no spark when starting the engine, a strong spark when the engine's running.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts