Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well last night after work i came home and changed my cap and rotor. This morning i wake up and start the car and the idle has risen from 650 to about 1000. And there is a slight clicking noise in the engine compartment after 2300 RPM.. I'm thinking that i need to reajust my timing but im not sure. Any body have any ideas.
The plugs are new and wires have about 10K on them.

·
Come here often?
767 Posts
Definitely start by checking your timing. You may have nudged your distributor towards advanced timing while you were working.

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE: well i was driving along and the noise was gone when all of the sudden i get a hard core loss of power. The car is slugish and feels like turbo lag. i drive it to autozone and replace the wires and nothing happens, still laggy. The idle is normal and running under 1500 Rpm is fine but when i try to accelerate nothing happens. Petal to the metal and all i hear is the loud ass CAI sucking in a ton of air but im not moving fast.......Any clues?

·
Registered
62 Posts
re

check the cap to see if it is on right and not sealed properly, and check the rotor and look and see if it is ok, could have cracked or if it was wet out side it might have gotten moisture inside. I just put on a new cap and rotor the new cap had threds all the way thru and to the housing it took alot more effort to get the new one screwed down tight than the old one.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Did you even do what BikerFry said yet? That slight clicking noise in your engine compartment might be pinging, which is what happens if your timing is screwed up.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
this may sound stupid, but check to make sure the wires are on the Distributor correct. This will screw things up good. Did you use genuine Nissan cap and rotor? Nissan caps have the correct numbering for the cap for the right plug wires to snap in. make sure of this. yes and check that timing, but follow the procedure with warming up motor and running it 2 minutes at 2000 RPM, shut off disconnect TPS and then start up, check timing losen screws on distributor and bring into spec. tighten screws while running, check again, shut off, reconnect TPS, your done.
Chris 92 classic

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know the wires are in the correct order the fact of the matter is that i over rotated my distributer shaft causeing the CPS to break or become disfunctional. this cause the cars timing to advance harshly. where talking like anywhere from 5-30 degrees. the rotor could move almost an 1/8 of a turn. My new distributer is set to arive via fedex thursday(today) so tomorrow i will see if this corrected my problem.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Not that it helps you know but I always make a reference mark for where the dist is set at before I disassemble anything. The factory uses a yellow mark and I have actually cut a slight groove in the nead and dist. to have a reference point to start at and check my timing from there.

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wes said:
Not that it helps you know but I always make a reference mark for where the dist is set at before I disassemble anything. The factory uses a yellow mark and I have actually cut a slight groove in the nead and dist. to have a reference point to start at and check my timing from there.
i made sure to make the mark before i put the new one in. but my timing is till advaced

·
Registered
638 Posts
That happened to me once, turned out to be a defective rotor. Since then i've only used oem nissan parts, a bit more money but much better quality...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts