Nissan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car stopped on the freeway the other day. it was fine until i turned the ac on. a few minutes later some of the lights turned on (check engine, oil) and the car died but it was fine when i started it again. anyone have a problem like this or know what could have caused it?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Is your car manual? This happened to a friend of mine with a manual a few times...I adjusted his timing, and it never happened again. His timing was advanced too far, and he wasn't running premium fuel....that might have caused it, but I'm no mechanic...can only talk from prior experience. Maybe someone else is more sure than I am.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Your speed idle sensor (forgot the proper name)... the sensor that's on the side of the entrance of the MAF, which adjust the air flow according to the rpm.
It was the cause of the problem - engine shuts down when A/C is on.
It's gonna cost you around $120 for a new one. You can put it in yourself.. but make sure you align it up correctly, so mark it before you remove the old one.

Thanks anyway Andre. I had the mechanic set the timing back to 15 degree. But right now, my car is still not running right. The engine light is on, something wrong with my o2 sensor wire.

Lucion

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
excessive knocking, kills the engine, sort of failsafe device.....
idle air control valve, adjust to demands such as increased load due to a/c request, can also kill the engine if sticking or broken......

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Off Topic a bit....
Hey Liang....I got a check engine light too...my mother hit a pothole and it came on...so I'm assuming that its the O2 sensor after the cat. Gonna take care of that tomorrow. By the way, I'm itching to take the rear right shock off and adjust the screws on the mount....it makes noise. :(

And about the timing....I said I was no mechanic, right? :D

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
even MORE off topic but I am interested in calander andre, just when i get the money. is there a way to see little thumbnails of what will be on it? (like looking on the back of the ones at the store)

·
Nissan Guru
152 Posts
Check it out

I know somepeople might argue with me about it but you might want to check the water level in your battery, Most places will tell you its Maintenence free, but there is no such thing. Ever wonder why there are two caps on the battery where you can conveiniently place a flat tip screw driver under. Just flip them off, be careful to not get the water on you , Use Only Distilled water , or Ionized Water when you do this, use a funnel or paper cup and pour slowly. you know its low if you see the water level below the top of the slots on the walls of the 3 tubes under the two caps, it should be filled, to the top of the groove.

The battery relies on a chemical reaction between the water and acid, to charge properly, if there is no water you get a week charge, and we dont have battery meters so you need to check it once a year.

doing this on all of our cars will help us start our cars faster, get a better spark and help the wear and tear on our batteries,if you drive to long with out water your battery might not ever charge.

Everyone should check this now. especialy if your battery is OEM, and Half Empty like mine was, Mine is a 99 too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts