Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TONS of problems tonight with my SE-R, 1992.
died last night on the way home.

checked battery, alternator, and starter. they are okay.

checked all relays.
no power to anything in the car, no light, no radio, no dome light, etc.
when the key is turned to top position, the relay on the bottom of the fuse box, clicks, but dot not turn on.
is if the bottom of the 4 relays near the fuse box under steering column
when the key is off, the ECU is buzzing.
and check warning light AND the battery light come on, without the key!
WTF!

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
the battery may be good, but how are the terminals? just because they are on the battery, it doesnt mean theyre making a good connection. remove BOTH battery terminals, clean them up and connect them nice and tight, then try it again. if that doesnt work, it sounds to me like there is something in your car that is grounding out(more than likely the main power harness)

·
Registered
131 Posts
check all the fuses. do a continuity test on them with a multimeter. the bottom relay is ignition relay1. the second one is accesory relay1 the third one is ignition relay 2 and the one at the very top is the window defroster relay. if you dont hear your accesory relay or ignition relay 2 clicking when you turn the key then you may have a short somewhere causing the relays not getting power. but you can check for ground problems. you might want to pull the codes on the ecu as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked all of the fuses (multimeter) and they all seem to be good. All battery connections and grounds are good in the engine compartment.

Key out = CEL, Battery light, no radio, lights, etc. Clock in dash works until I try to turn on lights, then all electricty seems to stop until the key is turned.

Key "Start" Postion = Bottom relay (next to inside fuse box, there are what seem to be 4 relays, top one brown, 3 below blue) clicks as long as key is in start postion. Changed this relay, no difference.

Key out after relay clicking = Very fast clicking from the ECU (on floor in front of radio) and have to disconnect the battery for it to stop.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a friend recommended swapping the ECU from another Sentra, preferrably a SE-R, to mine.
basically to eliminate my own ECU as the issue.

if the donor ECU works, than mine is bad, and ill need to replace it.
if the donor ECU doesnt work, then something is bad between the ECU and the relays benath the dash.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
awh come on fellas.
:(

three days and no help?
we are totallly stumped, and i would hate to take my car to the strealership.
:(

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
licklemanbklyn2g3 said:
check ur starter
have aready.

seems fine.

ive got a chilton & a haynes manual somewhere at my moms house.
just gotta find a way to get to them, without my car :|

ill find something out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i think this happened to me

have someone start the car as you jiggle the power cables. i had that problem also.

with no key, the clock would work, if i turned the key, it would die. if it went to start, the ecu would click.

the battery cables were loose. make sure they are on tight at the battery and at the end of them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts