Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I while back I rearended somebody..(a friggin Lincoln)..i fell asleep and woke up a little too late. Airbags went off and crap but my car still ran and my radiator was bent but not leaking. I didnt have the money to get it fixed right then so I kept driving it. and one day i was sitting at the stop light and my upper radiator hose blew off!! big cloud of white smoke..i pulled over to the side of the road and took a look. It had busted off the intake (male portion) of the radiator. I got a different hose and clamped it on. that worked for a couple days until i was driving down the highway one night and I noticed the temperature was getting really high!! so I pulled over and stopped for like 10 min...and the went going again. temp had dropped to half way. I drove like a quarter mile further and a radiator fluid went spewing everywhere again...i pulled over and took a look and a whole was blown in the side of the radiator next to the hose!! I have no clue whats goin on. I took the car to the mechanic and had them put a new radiator in and stuff. Started the car up and a hose on the back side of the engine blew off!!! What is goin on? Do i have a compression leak maybe? I have no way to check...i live in an apartment n they wont let u work on cars. any help with this would be great!!! the machanic is sayin...head gasket... Please give me your thoughts.

·
Registered
120 Posts
brent2005 said:
I took the car to the mechanic and had them put a new radiator in and stuff.
The 'and stuff' is what I'd like to know about. Did you get all new hoses and clamps? If they were the original ones or relatively old ones and you overheated them twice the hoses could be shot. That's my guess. I'd be asking the mechanic who replaced the rad what's going on, too.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the "and stuff" part is them pulling out the frame and fixing that so a new radiator could fit in. And yeah...i need to talk to the mechanic and see if they used original hoses...i am sure the got new ones...but why would a hose blow off thats on the back side of the engine? I can't figure that out. can a leak caused by a head gasket leak compression into the cooling system and build up pressure to blow off the hoses? The mechanic cant figure it out....this sux.

·
100NX2000
346 Posts
brent2005 said:
the "and stuff" part is them pulling out the frame and fixing that so a new radiator could fit in. And yeah...i need to talk to the mechanic and see if they used original hoses...i am sure the got new ones...but why would a hose blow off thats on the back side of the engine? I can't figure that out. can a leak caused by a head gasket leak compression into the cooling system and build up pressure to blow off the hoses? The mechanic cant figure it out....this sux.
I think somewhere in the core of the radiator, there is a blockage/kink, causing too much pressure in the cooling system. My guess would be to change radiators ASAP. They are not that expensive if you go to any discount parts chain. Get a 2 core plastic endtank radiator. If you have the money get a Modine. They run around $140.00

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty White said:
I think somewhere in the core of the radiator, there is a blockage/kink, causing too much pressure in the cooling system. My guess would be to change radiators ASAP. They are not that expensive if you go to any discount parts chain. Get a 2 core plastic endtank radiator. If you have the money get a Modine. They run around $140.00
It already has been replaced..and it still blows off the hoses...you think the new radiator has a block or kink? if so..then the mechanic should fix it right? Cuz thats what i am payin him to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts