Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello !

This is my first posting on your message board. I bought my X-Trail SE AWD automatic in late October 2004 & love it. It now has over 6000 km & has been great. I live in the GTA & have been following your discussions since last summer - very helpful. Within the past few weeks I have developed my first problem:

With a warm start (car has been driven earlier that day), the engine idle speed seems to start normally, & then suddenly slows down as if the car may stall & die. It has never stalled however (it speeds up within a couple of seconds). This never happens when stopped at a red light, nor with a cold start (first start of the morning). It even happens when all the electrical options are shut off (radio, heater & heated seats). Has any one else noticed this problem?

Would this be due to a problem with the EGR valve or throttle body? Would it be a simple warranty repair for the Nissan dealership? I hope it's not a sign of more serious problems!

Any advice or comments would be much appreciated. Best regards. Thanks!

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,228 Posts
I would say it's either a dirty throttle body or your ECU may require some tuning-up.

It could also be attributed to a bad batch of fuel.

I had a similar problem with mine, but it used to do it in the morning start-up run and afternoon (on the way back home from work). The engine would start from a 2nd or 3rd attempt, run for about 5 seconds, then die. As the car moves, everything goes back to normal.

Took it to the dealership and they had to take the throttle body out of the car to clean it (this how dirty it was), they also upgraded my ECU vesrion at the same time (this is not required in your case, as your exy is new and will have the latest ECU version anyway)

Not covered by warranty.

·
Fully Bolted + Juiced!
389 Posts
Check the MAF sensor and the throttle body. I had both replaced on mine for the same problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Everyone

Question for X-Trailer
You described this problem:

"With a warm start (car has been driven earlier that day), the engine idle speed seems to start normally, & then suddenly slows down as if the car may stall & die. It has never stalled however (it speeds up within a couple of seconds). This never happens when stopped at a red light, nor with a cold start (first start of the morning). It even happens when all the electrical options are shut off (radio, heater & heated seats). Has any one else noticed this problem? "

I have about 11,500km on my X-Trail and have had this same thing happen to my vehicle. I am wondering if you have had this problem solved?

Thanks for any help
Ed M

·
X-Trail Moderator
902 Posts
We would have to see the follow up from "X-Trailer" if he went to the dealer and what was their finding?

(at one point the sentra 2.5L engine had a problem with the crank shaft position sensor giving unstable idle speeds, but then again that was fixed last year...?)

·
Fully Bolted + Juiced!
389 Posts
You may also get your idle reset at the dealer via Consult II.

·
Proud 2004 X-Trail Owner
691 Posts
I got the problem, just warm starts & it's increasing a little bit, just got 4,500kms.

The problem started during +/- cold weather (~10°C) & continues now at warmer conditions (~25°C).

Always 91 Octanes Gas & got Syntetic oil.

I guess dirty throttle body don't apply to my X-Ty cause it still smell like new.

Let's see what dealership guys tell, I'll refer to:

MAF problems
Throttle Body
Crankshaft Position Sensor
ECU tuning
& a Voodoo Spell

·
Fully Bolted + Juiced!
389 Posts
manuelga said:
I guess dirty throttle body don't apply to my X-Ty cause it still smell like new.
I changed out my throttle body when I hit 6500Ks and it already had an oil deposit (sludge) around the plate. In fact it's a common problem known by dealers and they often are replaced without hiccups.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I assume these fixes are done free under warranty ? Mine does the same thing once in a blue moon. I'm due for 18000 km oil change, so I'll mention it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ynott said:
I assume these fixes are done free under warranty ? Mine does the same thing once in a blue moon. I'm due for 18000 km oil change, so I'll mention it.
Hi Everyone.

I originally posted my problem with the engine idle speed back on March 15th. I still have the same difficulty on warm start-ups only. It's not getting any worse (or better). I have been waiting until my next oil change to have this problem repaired by the dealer. That should be in about one week from now. Sorry I don't have a diagnosis & fix for it yet. I will keep you posted!

If anyone else with this problem has it solved earlier on, I would love to know the solution.

Best Regards to Everyone! Carl.

·
Registered
83 Posts
X-Trailer said:
Hi Everyone.

I originally posted my problem with the engine idle speed back on March 15th. I still have the same difficulty on warm start-ups only. It's not getting any worse (or better). I have been waiting until my next oil change to have this problem repaired by the dealer.
I have an 02 Altima with the same 2.5L engine, and have had this same problem repeatedly since I first got my vehicle almost 3 years ago. I now have 76Km on the clock and have asked the dealer on several occassions to fix this. They simply have been unable to come up with a solution - in fact, claim that they can't even re-create the problem. I have a 100K 4yr extended warranty. This is a big bug-a-boo for me - I chose the 2.5 4cyl because of the timing chain instead of belt, but have found the idling speed very disconcerting.

Cheers. ....jww

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jww said:
I have an 02 Altima with the same 2.5L engine, and have had this same problem repeatedly since I first got my vehicle almost 3 years ago. I now have 76Km on the clock and have asked the dealer on several occassions to fix this. They simply have been unable to come up with a solution - in fact, claim that they can't even re-create the problem. I have a 100K 4yr extended warranty. This is a big bug-a-boo for me - I chose the 2.5 4cyl because of the timing chain instead of belt, but have found the idling speed very disconcerting.

Cheers. ....jww

Hi Everyone. Regarding my problem with an unstable engine idle speed at warm start-up (see my 2 previous posts):

I brought my X-Trail SE AWD AT into the dealership recently, with approx. 9500 km. on it. With many start-ups, they said they were only able to reproduce the problem once - however I still have this happening to me now, even with the warmer weather, approx. 75% of the time. In fact, the engine has stalled & died about 4 times in the past couple of months (again, never on a cold start-up).

The written report (on the workorder) from Alta Nissan stated: "DE96AA Idle Air Volume Learning Procedure. 80 WS. FC: AF32. Part #: 161198E013. Claim Type: PP." There was no charge for this (vehicle is 7 months old). The service advisor asked the Parts Dept. for the code for the throttle body. I asked her whether they had changed the throttle body - she said no.

Guess What! The servicing has NOT HELPED AT ALL! It still does the same thing. Am I starting the engine incorrectly? I believe you just turn the key without pressing on the gas pedal (fuel injected, no carburetor).

Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone with the same problem found the solution yet? Would another visit to the dealership accomplish anything? Any comments would be much appreciated.

Best regards. Carl.

·
X-Trail Moderator
902 Posts
crank shaft position sensor

That's what I suggested in post No 5 above.
Have them check the "crank shaft position sensor". Maybe...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same problems with the idles after the warm starts. The dealer didn't notice the problem when I asked them to check it during the last service. Hopefully this won't be a continuing problem, but I really don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
140 Posts
9K on ours, and we've not seen this problem on warm or cold starts. Hope your dealerships can pin this one down for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
up_north said:
Any new info on this? My problem seems to be getting worse. The dealer doesn't seem to be able to find the problem.

Hello Up North.

I was having the same problem as you are - unstable engine idle speed on warm start-ups only. See my posts in March, April & May. In my last message May 29th, I mentioned what the dealership did to try & remedy the problem - an Idle Air Volume Learning Procedure. Initially, I didn't see any improvement at all, but over the next week or two it seemed to gradually improve. I'm still not sure whether they helped the situation. Could it have been the warmer weather in May? Do engines idle more smoothly in the summer versus winter? However, you feel that your idle is now getting worse, so the warmer temperatures do not seem to be helping you out! This makes me think that their adjustment did help significantly, but it takes a week or two to see the improvement.

At the present time, the engine starts normally, then the idle speed still slows down for 1 or 2 seconds, before speeding up again. However, in contrast to before, the drop in idle speed now is not as sudden or as marked, & the engine doesn't shudder, as if it may stall. In fact, it hasn't stalled since the servicing was done. So it's not perfect, but alot better.

Ask your service department if they could try this Idle Air Volume Learning Procedure.

Good Luck! Best Regards. Carl.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Carl.

I will definitely try to have the same thing done during my next servicing. I just had the 30K service performed, and the service dept didn't notice the problem (and they hadn't heard of any problems with other x-trail owners).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts