Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still a beginner at this stuff, but I was replacing a couple vaccum lines and met with my limitations...

Long story short, drove car home alright, replaced the hoses going from AB in back to the idle compensator and temp sensor. Now the car suddenly has a very hard time starting, and it's now misfiring horribly as well as putting a lot of black smoke out the tailpipe. Did I reconnect something wrong? After all the suspension work I've done I feel horrible for being defeated by rubber hoses.

Also, a boss of mine at work mentioned that most of the vaccum lines under my hood are not needed. If so, which do I remove?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alrighty, after much work I found it has nothing to do with the vaccum lines in the first place, and ended up making my wallet lighter in the process.

My emissions system seems to be alright all except for the fact that the last owner had the catalytic converter removed to use straight pipe at 300k miles. Now it starts effortlessly, but tries to idle at 3000rpm for a few seconds then misfires and dies with a cloud of black smoke out the back.

I haven't been able to time the engine since I bought it, the distributor was all the way foward and moving it back only made the timing worse. So I'm kinda suspecting the 22-year old distributor, or the new spark plug wires just wanting to screw up on me for no good reason. One of them even keps trying to lose its boot. Now, my distributor doesn't have a vaccum advnce, so is there anything that could be changing my timing on me?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts