Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started to notice that when i step on the accelarator the engine revs up high and the car takes a while to catch on. I had it checked out and they told me it might be the clutch or just the cable that needed to be adjusted... the guy adjusted the cable (he tightened it) and the car worked fine until recently it started doing the same thing again. Also when i do cold start the starter makes a really weird grinding noise (starts fine after the engine is warm). Can someone help me as to what i need to do and what is going on?

SIDE NOTE: Does anyone know any reasonably priced mechanics in the Houston area??? I would do the work myself, but I feel kinda uncapable after I tried to buy the repair manual for my car and the guy laughed in my face when I told him I was going to change the clutch using the manual. Not that he got to me but he had a point, I'm only 19 and have never really worked on a car, just know a lot about them. Anywayz if you can help plz. reply ASAP thx.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Two separate issues that you have going on.

These cars (B13's & 14's) have notorious starter problems. The grinding noise you hear is probably the thrush bushing going out. So, you probably need a new starter. But, have a mechanic test it before you go out and buy one, as then can be pricey depending on where you get it.

Second problem sounds like a slipping clutch to me. If you had the cable adjusted, and the problem recurred quickly, I would say that I'm 95% sure your clutch is nearly toast. Soon, you may well have even bigger problems if left unattended.

I can tell you first hand that changing the clutch can be done by a somewhat experienced mechanic. But, there are some real tricks to doing it, such as inserting the driver's side axle, how to properly install the axle seals, etc. that without knowledge you can mess up really easily.

If you want to attempt it yourself, find a friend somewhere who has done one before. And get yourself a Factory Service Manual, not one of the $12.95 specials from the parts store.

Just the humble opinion of a newly certified ASE Technician...

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tedious it is, until you dent that damn little ring on the axle seal and develop a huge leak after about a week:mad:. Then you get to try again...

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it sounds like the clutch to me. Pull the starter out, its not that difficult, and take it to a local auto parts store. I believe pepboys can test it for you. The starter is around $200$

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love this place!!!

Thx you guyz! I really appreciate all the info and now i have an excuse to get a freakin upgraded clutch... hmm so many to choose from. Just don't know if I have the funds to get the thing installed. I've gotten quotes for like $150- $200 labor fees. thats insane (to a broke college student like me). So this brings me bact to the question... Does anyone know of a fairly priced mechanic in the Houston area who does a good job? or if one of you guys from h-town would like to help i'd be most honored... of course i'll pay you too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I did a clutch for my '95 SE-R.The worst thing is The bolts requiring alot of power to break free in not so easy places.Not to bad took 6hr to do taking my time since I never did a FWD clutch.

·
Registered
145 Posts
cluth slipping

I have @ 32,000 on my 99 and i get that slipping feeling too. If i've done in my clutch, what upgrade should I get. Damn, only 32,000, man I shoulda listened to my mom when she taught me how to drive her 78 datsun station wagon so many moons ago:p . Pablo

·
Banned
809 Posts
well, i believe on bellaire there is a cheap place goin down twards gessner.. actually, about maybe 1/4 a mile up, but still, theres a LOT of car places over there.. liek.. thats all thats down there, im goin to go to one place and get my clutch installed.. when i get one

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: cluth slipping

kristinspapi said:
I have @ 32,000 on my 99
Man, I've got 162k on my original clutch and pressure plate, and I don't exactly drive like a grandma. If your clutch is slipping that soon, I'd bet money that the rear seal has been leaking on it. Or something has contaminated it...

Best of luck...

·
Red line chaser
814 Posts
Sounds like the clutch is gone. Replace ASAP because mine only slipped worse the colder it got. If colder weather comes your way, you'll be a slippin' all the way. Also, inspect the old one to make sure no fluids leaked onto the surface(s) of the clutch. Of course, while you're in there, it makes a great time to upgrade the flywheel. Make something positive out of the negative. :cool:

·
Registered
323 Posts
i've had the transmission start slipping in my camaro and the clutch in my 200sx, the camaro is sitting at the bottom of my driveway, i got the clutch replaced in my 200, i paid like 300 or 400 in labor for that, I was under the impression that the motor mounts or at least one was mounted to the trans. housing and so you had to have the engine lifted in order to work under there? Eitherway, I bought an ACT Stage 1 Clutch, Stage 2 and up have that kevlar backing and apparently if you rev it higher then normal within the first 500 miles you risk some glazing and runing the whole thing, just my luck i would have done just that, now granted you have the same thing with a stage one so whatever, and suprisingly my clutch made it through my break in :)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: rear what...

kristinspapi said:
tell me more, what does the rear seal do and who could look at it, what are we looking for? Pablo
The rear seal is at the area where the flywheel attaches to the engine. The only real way to look at it as far as I know is while the transmission is out of the car. If you do your clutch, just look for oil anywhere in the area. That would be the dead giveaway that a seal is leaking.

Good luck....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts