Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[B]HELP PROBLEM[/B] front driver side

Just ran to the store today and there is something funny going on. When I give the car a little gas in 1st and 2nd, I hear this strange noise from the driverside front wheelwell area (can't be 100% sure though) It almost sounds like something is loose or banging around but also makes this knocking noise like it's caught up on something.

It doesn't really do it out of reverse or any other gear. Didn't notice it when downshifting or breaking, only when coming out of first and second gear with gas applied, little or no gas = no noise. Once car is moving It doesn't happen. It's short maybe a few seconds at most when the gas is pressed. Any ideas??

Figures, I just called Nissan to set up an appointment to have the car checked over next Tuesday!!! UGGGHHHHHH!!!

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
does it do it when you turn the wheel to make a sharp turn?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cHoPs said:
does it do it when you turn the wheel to make a sharp turn?
nope, don't hear it in relation to any steering movement. I can be going straight or turning and it still makes the noise, seems dependent upon how much gas I give it. If I release the clutch slowly and just give it slow to normal gas there is no noise, but if I give it a little power you hear it.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
not common characteristics of a bad axle....but its worth a check....get under the car and look at the axle boots and check them for ripping

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
More information

cHoPs said:
not common characteristics of a bad axle....but its worth a check....get under the car and look at the axle boots and check them for ripping
Axle and boots looked fine, but I'm far from an expert, nothing obvious atleast. I took it around my apartment complex and found the following.

Noise is definitely coming from driver side wheelwell area. Over speed bumps no noises are heard (nothing loose) Noise (clunking)Happens when given gas in first gear and a sometimes if same is done in second gear. Once up to third or normal driving speed there is no noise. There is no noise when going in reverse regardless of how fast I go. When car is in neutral and when clutch is engaged while in gear there is no noise regardless of engine RPM.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Sounds funny but have you checked your lug nuts? It has happened before.
Put it up on a jack, and manualy move the wheel. Check for noises.
Also look for rub or wear marks, inside the wheel well.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nostrodomas said:
Sounds funny but have you checked your lug nuts? It has happened before.
Put it up on a jack, and manualy move the wheel. Check for noises.
Also look for rub or wear marks, inside the wheel well.
My girlfriends crappy cavalier is in the shop getting the fuel injectors replaced so I'm going to drop my car when I pick hers up today. These guys are pretty good and very reasonably priced (much less than Nissan) so I'll let you guys know what they say over the weekend if they can get to it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here's the verdict:

Bolt in motor mount was coming loose and unthreading itself. Causing something to be hitting the engine. Wierd. Also need breaks on the front. That's the damage though. They said at first they thought it was my driveshaft that was making the noise and then noticed the bolt coming loose. They re-threaded it, put it back in, and no more noise!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts