Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former nissan 4x4 owner ( 87 SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 14 + years experience with nissans), I'm looking to buy either a 95 4x4 pickup ( V6 5 speed), or a 95 pathfinder 4x4 (V6 5 speed), any areas of concern on the 95's?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Saw a thread that opined that the later the rig (90-95), the greater the chance for rusted rear frame rails. If you live / are buying in a salt-free zone, this might not be a consideration. Have seen a few Pathys in the boneyard up here in the NE with near perfect bodies and rotten frames. My '94 has pretty solid rails, but I've had the undercarriage oiled a time or two in the past. Look for a solid one. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in florida but that really doesn't matter since most of the trucks down here come from auctions somewhere else so they still could have come in contact with road salt.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
ahardb0dy said:
Former nissan 4x4 owner ( 87 SE-V6 4x4 king cab, 14 + years experience with nissans), I'm looking to buy either a 95 4x4 pickup ( V6 5 speed), or a 95 pathfinder 4x4 (V6 5 speed), any areas of concern on the 95's?
With the 95 Pathfinders, look for rust on the frame in the rear wheel wells. Also look for rust on the BODY near the rear rear fenders where the doors close. Also look for rust under the rear passenger seats. Just pop up the seats and you'll easily notice. I've seen 4 inch rust holes in the 95 PF's. Maybe a concern for you, but the rear chrome bumpers rust easily as the water spraying up from the rear tires tend to soak into where the welds are.

Also listen for ticking when you first start up a V6 engine, may have broken manifold studs and they are a bit of money to fix at a shop.

Other than that, that's all I can think of.

·
3,553 Posts
Yup. Frame rust(especially in the rear), body rust, exhaust manifold noise, and auto tranny fluid cooler clogging. There's more, but those are the major points.

·
g33k/gamer/QR nerd
445 Posts
88pathoffroad said:
Yup. Frame rust(especially in the rear), body rust, exhaust manifold noise, and auto tranny fluid cooler clogging. There's more, but those are the major points.
Also another point is the front streering assembly, if the previous owner has been doing some off roading, with stock front steering, look underneath to see if its in good shape. Drive it and try to make a U-turn somewhere see if the ball joints or tie-end rods dont make a "clump" sound...if it does make that sound, its still drivable but seems unsafe, to fix that if need be your looking to spend at least $500 on steering parts alone. I should know because i inheirted a wrecked pathfinder :wtf: :balls:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looked at a 94 pickup today (4x4 V6 king cab auto tranny), when moving the shifter from reverse to drive there was like a clunk noise, I was thinking possibly a U-joint problem? I think my old 87 used to do that but I don't remember what caused it.

·
3,553 Posts
Carrier bearing in the rear driveshaft, probably. Only the trucks and 2WD Pathfinders have one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts