Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys! I will appreciate if you can help me.
Yesterday I replaced radiator on my 96 LE (Auto, 4x4). Here is the story about the old one.
First, the coolant was leaking where the upper radiator hose connected to the radiator, so I thought it wasn't tight enough and tightened it better. In a week or so after that radiator started leaking and I found a huge crack in it. I'm not sure whether it was tired or it was too much pressure in cooling system but I always was wandering why there was so much pressure after a 10 mile ride. When trying to squeeze the hose it was damn hard. When removing a radiator cap coolant would escape quickly until pressure is gone. (I didn't burn myself, coolant was just a bit warm)
Should there be such a pressure in the cooling system when warm?
There is an expansion tank that's supposed to catch the excess coolant when it expands because of the temperature. I blew in that small hose that goes out of the radiator filer neck, it's was clean. But the radiator cap closes it so tight that I don't think there is a way the coolant would go through the cap's rubber seal to the expansion tank when warm. (The cap has two rubber seals, top and the bottom one, and the hole to the expansion tank is between those seals when the cap is installed )
Is it a radiator cap that doesn't let the coolant escape to the expansion tank or it's something else more serius?
I don't want my new radiator to blow, because pressure is really high inside.
Thanks a lot

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
most parts stores will test your cap for free...it should handle 13lbs IIRC....the hose should be good and tight when the engine is warm...a cooling system requires pressure to operate properly, take that pressure away and it will overheat....in the meantime, when you think its too hot listen to the radiator with the engine off, if its boiling then there is a problem, if not you should be good to go....but yes, there should be pressure in the system, even at full temp the cap should keep the pressure from blowing into the overflow tank.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts