Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

I just bought myself a Sentra 98 XE and i am wondering if anyone has put enough effort in it to make it into a good sport car and if so can anyone send me pics and specs so i can get a look at what to buy for my precious.

Thanks

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
sounds good, love that 98. first of all, how far are you willing to go for power, do you want a few bolt-ons, a complete line of bolt-ons, do you want to redo the engine internals, Turbo or engine swap.

there's a ton of things that you can do and a ton of routs to go, but if you could, please tell us what you're looking to get outta your car and we can help you from there.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
1st off

join group buy

2nd off

ask advice that hasnt been asked before (also use search button)

3rd

come 2 me. i can get u alot of the stuff for a decent price

·
Administrator
1,075 Posts
jfbelmar said:
Hi people,

I just bought myself a Sentra 98 XE and i am wondering if anyone has put enough effort in it to make it into a good sport car and if so can anyone send me pics and specs so i can get a look at what to buy for my precious.

Thanks
The first step you should take is to go to sentra.net and read Kojima's Garage in its entirety.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips. For now i think i won't touch the engine much maybe change the exhaust system and add some stuff to get 20 or so HP to begin with and make the car cuter. Stereo already on the way (but until i buy myself a good mp3 player i installed an oldsmobile CD/cassette player :)) with kick ass infinity speakers. So i'm open to all cosmetic and upgrade options, maybe not turbo since it costs like 3000$ but i'm willing to put like 2000$ now and maybe more later.

·
Registered
413 Posts
jfbelmar said:
Thanks for the tips. For now i think i won't touch the engine much maybe change the exhaust system and add some stuff to get 20 or so HP to begin with and make the car cuter.
Going to have to do quite a lot to get 20HP with just a few bolt ons. Maybe a NOS 50 shot will do it, but not basic bolt-ons. At most, on a 1.6 I can see a header, exhaust, intake, advanced timing getting you maybe 10 HP at most.

Just some added thoughts.;)

Hey, 1997 GA16DE, have you ever had you car dynoed? That would be a good starting point for him to see what upgrades will provide him. The HS header would be a great upgrade!

·
Administrator
1,075 Posts
Actually all that stuff has been done and tested before. Results can be seen at sentra.net and nissanperformancemag.com.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I dynoed last week with HS header, Strumong exhaust, Stillen intake, UR pulley, advanced timing. I got 97 hp. I dont know if you got a manual, I got auto, so a manual will get a little more. Good luck. ;)

Oh, and if you are willing to put $2000, just start prepping for turbo...thats what I recommend.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
NismoPC said:
Hey, 1997 GA16DE, have you ever had you car dynoed? That would be a good starting point for him to see what upgrades will provide him. The HS header would be a great upgrade!
Yeah, I got a dyno at chef's dyno day. then I had what I have now so, so far no change. as soon as I get my exhaust on, I'm gonna dyno it again. I think I peaked at 90.2hp and (89 something) lbs of torque

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Engine replacement

I think i'll change the engine next year. Any suggestions for a good engine 2.0 liter or more?

·
Banned
809 Posts
it doesnt really matter how much Hp the car gets, its not really HP that makes it fast, its your ability to shift, and what kind of mods teh car has, that lets it unlesh the power... like NOS.. 50 HP boost.. same as a turbo kinda, except nos is alot worse for the engine... Headers and intake and exaust is GREAT for a car, because it helps it breath MUCH better, so your engien doesnt haev alot of backpressure, and it can drive ALOT smoother, and faster.. HP might not show alot, but sound and feel is ALOT! better

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Niss200SXGTR said:
like NOS.. 50 HP boost.. same as a turbo kinda, except nos is alot worse for the engine...
This is not completely true. Both wear the engine but remember NOS is not as dangerous if used with moderation. Turbo's also wear the engine down, that is why it is advised that you rebuild your engine with stronger internals to handle the boost.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yeah, all the oil drains down into the crank case when it sits, especially if it sits a long time.

Almost metal to metal for the first couple of crank turns man... ouch.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Maybe that could explain a little thing I noticed. Sometimes when I start the car, I hear noises right after it starts...like its still turning over....almost a grinding noise....any ideas?

Also, about the N2O....I know that when going turbo you have to upgrade some of the internal stuff...if you upgrade them to run N2O, wont it do less damage? I mean, turbo is always on, running on stronger internals. N2O is not always on, but wouldn't it be better to run it on stronger internals also? Wouldn't that in turn extend the life of the engine somewhat?

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
andre said:
Maybe that could explain a little thing I noticed. Sometimes when I start the car, I hear noises right after it starts...like its still turning over....almost a grinding noise....any ideas?
My mom's maxima usually makes a grinding noise when it first starts up. here's what I think it is: when the engine turns over, the starter solenoid is supposed to release from the flywheel right away. In this case it doesn't disengage right away. kinda like if you were to leave the key in the Start position for an extra few seconds than necessary to start the car.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
andre said:
Also, about the N2O....I know that when going turbo you have to upgrade some of the internal stuff...if you upgrade them to run N2O, wont it do less damage? I mean, turbo is always on, running on stronger internals. N2O is not always on, but wouldn't it be better to run it on stronger internals also? Wouldn't that in turn extend the life of the engine somewhat?
Any mods that are gonna make more power than the engine was designed to normally handle (daily driven) is gonna shorten the life of any engine. It is common sense to know that an engine can't last forever because of the tremendous amount of heat, abuse, fine tuned fast moving parts end up killing it from the inside out. When you try to modify the performance of an engine, your putting more heat into it (bigger fire) and your giving it more abuse through means of the power stress and the abuse of a "Street Racing" driver. NOS and turbos are the biggest mods out there that will kill your STOCK engine in a short amount of time kinda like ciggarets to a child. If you want to do these kinda things, YES, you should upgrade any internal component you can afford. Not only will they strengthen the engine with these tougher parts, but you're also extending the life of it by replacing components that have been worn for however old your car is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts