Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad helped me "power time" my automatic sentra the other day. He said its easy and is a sure way to get maximum advance out of an engine.

We blocked the tires I put on the brake and put in gear and gave it gas until the torque converter started to kick in around 23-2500rpm. It put the engine into "full load" then simply turned the distributor till it started to ping then simply backed up till it stopped.

I was able to advance the timing to 15 BTDC on 89 octane. Does anyone have any ideas how this is possible. Its not pinging or running badly.

I also checked the timing by stickey thread on checking timing and it showed 15 degrees.

Any comments?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Really does this really work? I mean I know nothing about these cars but I just bought a 96 Sentra that has a bit of noise in the timing chain area,betting it's aguide?? But I would love to make a little more power and get the best milage possible.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant give any horsepower numbers but after we finished i was able to drive without any pinging on 80 octane at around 15 degrees BTDC.

The theory makes sense but it may only work with automatics ill have to ask.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine too..... I would like to try this, But I'm not going to risk messing my Sentra up untill a few other people can confirm that it does work. It would be nice to get a few extra horses out of these cars(every little bit helps) with simple mods like these that almost anybody can do.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Honestly Bud Hp is not why I bought this rig! The fuel mileage is! I would like to know every trick there is to stretch a gallon of gas up to and including the simplest intake and exhaust mods to the new and very promising hydrogen assist (I'll believe this when I put it in my car and see the results!!) PS I am a willing Guinea Pig!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I understand, It's $4 a gallon here in VA, I don't want a 400Hp Sentra, I want a mix between Gas mileage and a little more Hp. I just want something with a little kick to it when I get on the gas, Like my 92 Ford Thunderbird, It has the 5.0 High Output engine in it and when I punch the gas it puts my head in the headrest, But it also weighs 4,000lbs. so it's a big-time gas hog. My goal is to have around 150Hp and getting atleast 25mpg.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My comment to this thread is that I to turned the distributor to get some more out of it. It does work and it's only 4 screws. I wouldn't recommend going too far with it, but what I did worked for me.

On a side note, I have the complete shop manuals for GA16DE 1.6L engine. They are in a PDF format and quite large as you can imagine, but I'm willing to email them to anyone that wants them. They are broken down into each segment of the car from body to internal engine, external engine, exhaust and on and on. Contact me if you need something.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Factory Service Manuals are already on this site(actually, it's a link to another site that has them). I downloaded them yesterday and even with DSL it took me like 20 mins. to download them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm running 20 degrees advanced with headers and intake with full exhaust with an automatic and i am averaging 30mpg driving 80mph everyday at 3300rpm's. I would not reccomend the same technique to advance the timing, i would stick to the FSM. i did it with a Nissan Scantool and by moving the distributor. you have to allow the computer to compensate for the advance in timing, if not, after driving it awile, the computer will relearn the fuel maps to compensate for the gas you use and the way you drive to get the most out of the timing setup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts