Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yah this one is pretty dumb ...
I was putting the maf adapter on my car this morning and eventually i was gonna put a cone filter on it. so as I was putting it in with a bracket to hold it nicely in place I managed to hit my torque wrench on the positive battery terminal... long story short there were lots of sparks ... so I stoped working instantly and hopped into my car to make sure everything was ok and nothing ...no acc , no clicking start , no door open beeping ...
So this having ruined my morning , I started working on the no power issue ... I hooked my car up to my parents' mini van to boost the battery and the car starts REALLY slowly but stays on ok until I take off the jumper cable clamps ... then it dies completely ... I checked all of the fuses and relays and even went as far as to go to walmart and pick up a cheap battery to drop it in incase the battery was toast ... the wires look ok to me , like no melting thats really visable ...
anyone have any idea ? I was thinking about a ground problem but I am not sure where to start on that problem ...

·
Registered
94 Posts
may have burnt up your alternator... a note for next time you work under the hood. Unhook the negative from the battery. Then it wont ground out even if you hit the positive terminal. But it may shock the crap out of you if your barefoot (another thing... never work on cars barefoot :p).

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
so you checked all the fuses like i said right? ok, you could try a new ground. build a new ground by buying a peice of powercable from home depot and a ring terminal to fit it. then go to walmart and buy a new battery terminal (i think they are like $5 and clamp on via wing nuts) now, connect your new temp ground to the battery and place the ring terminal on the first grounding point from the old negative cable (should be right behind the battery around where my home made bracket will go) place the ring terminal under the existing ground and try it out.

...........i really should have helped you lol. (*cough* never work on a car barefoot, drunk, or with the battery still in ;) )
ill see if we cant get together this week and try to fix it. and ill get the stuff for a ground. i cant drve my car either...the left front axel is making some knarly noises

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
where is that? im guessing its the main fuse and it isnt in the fuse boxes?

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Fusible links act as high-current fuses by protecting their circuits from excessive current draw. The capacity of fusible links is usually 30 amps or more-somewhat higher than that of standard fuses. When a fusible link blows, it means that its current-carrying capacity was exceeded and the heat across the links conductor caused the link to melt and open the circuit.
Im not sure where it is on the b14, but I think that its located in the engine bay, ran off of the positive battery terminal.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
so its safe to say that if you traced the positive cable back you would run into it correct? this makes sence, thanks alot. i would think this would be the problem, but im not sure if he has checked this yet (and if he has i doubt he knows lol) il check in with him tomarrow.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Ok its actually in the fuse box next to the battery. You can follow the cable into the fuse box, and the fuse is labeled battery. Ill bet money that the fuse is busted. Your gonna have to drive him to the dealership to pick one up. Or rigg it up to get you to the $tealership.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
well thats the first thing i told him to do was to check each and every fuse he could find.........even if he didnt think it had anything to do with power to the car. he may have possibly missed something or the fuse could have poped clean and he couldnt see that it was blown. dumb question here, ther arent anyother fuse boxes than the 2 on the battery tray and under the dash correct?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I only visually checked some of the fuese cause (I love good irony) the battery in my multimeter died while I was checking em .. lol
Um yah I just went outside to check the fuseable link but I couldnt manage to get it out in time ... I am late for work as it is ... if it is that how much am I looking ? could I get one from a junk yard or should I just buy new?

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
pete2.0 said:
well I only visually checked some of the fuese cause (I love good irony) the battery in my multimeter died while I was checking em .. lol
Um yah I just went outside to check the fuseable link but I couldnt manage to get it out in time ... I am late for work as it is ... if it is that how much am I looking ? could I get one from a junk yard or should I just buy new?
BUY NEW, the last thing you want is another variable beyond your control.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
it should simply be a fuse, fuses at radio shack are about $4 max. we'll see what we cant do..........im guessing this weekend i will be upto my eye balls in car lol.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
id have to say its the 75amp battery fusible link located in the fuse box next to the battery...its a big fuse and last i checked no parts stores carried one like it...i had to get one from the dealership everytime i needed one.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well the car got towed this afternoon to the local Nissan dealership ... 27 bucks later I was in the service office describing how I managed to do this and have the mechanics smirk ... lovely ... just thought I would keep u guys up to date on it ... I should hear from them tomorrow morning

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
the tool bag had a bad battery, the ground was sucky..........if they had only listen to me instead of insisting they had tryed it allready, they would not have had to tow it. :thumbdwn: but its running like a champ now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts