Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a power steering leak for quite some time which as we all know is common. I had planned to swap the engine so I was just topping it off as it got low. now the issue is just the opposite. the leak has stopped but my steering is jolting. it will be normal then tough normal then tough as I turn the wheel around a corner. Anybody know what this may be?

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
I have had a power steering leak for quite some time which as we all know is common. I had planned to swap the engine so I was just topping it off as it got low. now the issue is just the opposite. the leak has stopped but my steering is jolting. it will be normal then tough normal then tough as I turn the wheel around a corner. Anybody know what this may be?
I had a leak so I traced it and found that it needed to be tighten. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my concern is how the steering goes hard soft hard soft hard soft aso i turn the wheel around a corner

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah its the main line but its been leaking for a while now and iv been topping it off becuase i am waiting for an engine swap rather than pay for the labour to replace the line (which needs to be done) but now the resivor stays full and the steering is doing this easy hard easy hard thing to me and i dont know what that problem is

·
Registered
430 Posts
this would be something you wouldn't know until you pull the P/S... the compressor, the rack...

if you were having a leak you could have very well ground down some of the gears while wrestling the wheel back and forth...

but then again... when you didn't have the P/S... you could have worn out some of the compressor seals and so when you're turning it's still seeping pressure out. so you have pressure then loose pressure then have pressure then loose pressure.

that sounds the best. everything i know, i taught myself.. the only way for any mechanic to know is if he's dealt with that exact same jolting or if he just pulls the system and starts repairing stuff.

·
Registered
430 Posts
hell, depending on the make and model.. it could be the rack bushings, could be some active suspension accuators or seals.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had several loose clamps, I replace the Power Steering Fluid (used Turkey Baster to Remove Old Fluid) I also found that my belt was a little loose due to my bracket -
'As listed in a couple of posts back that I could not get anyone to reply!!'

1 - 13 of 13 Posts