Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A basic question for everyone.....

I have a '91 Sentra E 1.6
Which type of fluid do I use for my power steering?
If I recall correctly you are supposed to use ATF.
But which type II or III.....

I would appreciate your help. thank you

-tony

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
biglivig said:
A basic question for everyone.....

I have a '91 Sentra E 1.6
Which type of fluid do I use for my power steering?
If I recall correctly you are supposed to use ATF.
But which type II or III.....

I would appreciate your help. thank you

-tony
ATF=Automatic Transmission Fluid. As far as I know there is nothing special for power steering fluid. Whats on the shelf should all be the same. Transmision fluid however can vary. So what are you trying to fill? Tranny or Power Steering?

Mitch

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i need to add power steering fluid.....i think ive used transmission fluid in the past as instructed but im not sure if that is correct. i have lost my manual and i also need to know which brake fluid to use. i think its dot 4 but not sure again.

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
biglivig said:
i need to add power steering fluid.....i think ive used transmission fluid in the past as instructed but im not sure if that is correct. i have lost my manual and i also need to know which brake fluid to use. i think its dot 4 but not sure again.
Tranny fluid in the power steering? Someone has there head screwed on wrong. Use power steering fluid for the power steering. For the brakes it's DOT 3 not 4.

Mitch

·
Registered
21 Posts
sentra97gxe said:
Tranny fluid in the power steering? Someone has there head screwed on wrong. Use power steering fluid for the power steering.

Mitch
For power steering fluid on a B13, the FSM recommends Automatic Transmission Fluid type DEXRON II or equivalent. Any ATF rated DEXRON III/MERCON should be o.k. On the back of the quart it should say that it will work with DEXRON II standards. Be sure to look for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts