Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i replaced my drive belts yesterday on my 97 hb... and when i started everything up i smelled some burning rubber, a bit longer smoke was coming off my power steering belt at the idler pulley....i adjusted the belt and loosened it just to make sure it wasn't too tight... started it up same thing. When i removed the belt i loosed the adjuster bolt too much and the bolt that holds the idler pulley fell out and its spacer went with it, so putting it back together i wasn't 100% sure where the spacer goes. does it go behind the bracket and behind the pulley? or infront of the bracket and right behind the pulley. I'm thinking that something is rubbing or frozen causing way to much friction. If anyone has a diagram or could send me a picture of what that idler assembly is supposed to look like i would be very thankful!!

update** i found this diagram... but i still cannot tell if the spacer goes behind the adjusting bracket or infront of it...

thanks in advance,
ajan246

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bro! got it! also the pulley was pushing the pulley bolt/shaft back further than it should be and keeping it from being flush with the adjusting bracket, this was causing the pulleys to be out of line and causing the belt smoke. Anyways, thanks for your help! She is running like a champ!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hope you put another new belt on. The one you smoked will now be comprimised.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts