Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this happening after I advanced the timing to 15 degrees BTDC. I have 39 grand miles on the car and I've been running 93 octane gas since the day I bought the car. If I run the engine at WOT, when the engine speed hits about 4500 rpm, the power drops enough to feel it in my butt dyno, and you can actually see the needle slow down slightly. It's almost as if my A/C compressor kicked on all of a sudden and gave it a little drag. That's the only thing I can compare it to.

Is it possible it's sensing knock and retarding the timing? I don't know why it would do that, since I run high octane gas and my car is fairly new. If it is retarding the timing (back to say, 5 degrees or whatever), does the timing get readvanced to where I had it (15 degrees) when the knocking goes away? I never knew the answer to that one.

This isn't a life threatening problem, I just wanna know what's up with that.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
I thought only the SE-R's had knock sensors (??).

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
check your timing again. it sounds like its retarding at high rpms do to knock like you said. If you have to, set your timing at 13 degrees and see if you notice a difference

1 - 5 of 5 Posts