Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Power liftgate on 2014 Nissan Murano suddenly stopped responding to fob or buttons.
Fuses and battery: ok
Power door switch: on
I opened the back panel and saw two things that seem off (see picture):
1) what looks to me like a broken fuse to the right of the liftgate motor
2) a broken component

Can anyone identify those and tell me whether they could be the cause of the malfunction?

I can only open it manually by climbing in the back and the liftgate motor makes no sound when I press on the buttons/fob. It's why I think it could be a break in the circuit.

Also, saw video saying it could be the car not registering it's in park, and therefore not activating the circuit. My cheap scanner has not registered any error but it's not the fancy Bluetooth tablet one I saw on the video that they used to just reset the whole thing. Apparently can happen after changing the battery or when battery dies.
Anyone experience with that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
836 Posts
1) what looks to me like a broken fuse to the right of the liftgate motor
That's not a fuse, it's the motor connector pins. They're potted with clear urethane. Those look fine.

2) a broken component
Nope, that switch actuator is actually bent like that. If you remove the lock assembly you'll find at least 3 more of them, and chances are the one in the middle (the Half Latch switch) is causing the issue. The switches get "soft spots" in the contacts and quit reading right, which causes the ABD Controller to quit working the lift. If you scan it with a high-end scanner that can detect the ABD, you'll find a Closure State code along with either a Half Latch or Open/Close switch code. If you reset the door it will work again, but only until the next time the switch messes up. From a repair standpoint, the problem is the switches are unavailable. They're ordinary Panasonic "Turquoise" switches, but the actuators and mounting style are custom for Nissan. If you've ever dealt with Matsushita then you know they're not interested in even talking about less than 10K pieces of anything, so repairing the latch is pretty much hopeless. You really need to replace it and then reset the door.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much VStar650CL.Just found that one of those switches is missing the thin metal strip allowing it to make contact with the small button underneath it. Must have broken it back when I had first tried to fix it. As you said, no way to find that strip so I found a used liftgate drive assembly online and will replace the whole thing. Shame, cuz it seems that tiny little strip is the only malfunction.
What do you mean by reset the door? Got an OBDII MIL code reader but no way to reset any component, only erasing error codes, which I havent found. Been thinking of getting a scan/reset tool but have no idea which one to get and there are so many. What system would I need to reset, to reset the liftgate? TPMS?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
copy that. I have the ECM too. seems like the body control module (BCM) is what should be reset, but I can definitely be wrong. Thanks again!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have the ECM too. seems like the body control module (BCM) is what should be reset, but I can definitely be wrong.
No, neither one. There's a dedicated controller called ABD for Auto Back Door. Only very pricey scanners will generally detect it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you know which ones do that? Do you recommend owning such scanner? If not, I'll put in the part once it arrives, try to manually reset and i guess ask a garage to reset it if I can't.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you want a budget scanner that will handle just about everything Nissan, get the AutoEnginuity Giotto with the Nissan/Infiniti support package. For about $450 (a fraction of the price of a SnapOn Solus, etc.), it does codes and work support for all the Nissan subsystems. Try the press-and-hold trick first, it works on almost all the ABD's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts