Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone,
I'm currently looking at buying a used X-Trail 2005-2006 (I live in Canada). I've seen a few of these type of threads, but I have a concern that I haven't seen discussed.

Do you think parts availability will be a concern for years to come with the X-Trail? I'm concerned that maybe in 2011 or 2012, new parts would be hard to come by. Also, currently is it possible to get your brakes done at the local garage or is Nissan the only one providing parts for this vehicule?

Finally, one last question I haven't been able to find the answer too, is the engine (2.5l in Canada) using a timing chain or timing belt? That would influence my negociations with the used car dealers...

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi guys, i'm just newbie to this forum. I'm planning to buy nissan xtrail, but when i read about the rust issue for the 2005 models i'm a little bit discourage. Are the 2006 models have rust issues also?

I live here in Montreal Canada

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not all 2005s had the fender rust issues. Mine still looks good and I live in an area that receives a lot of road salt wintertime.

The Xtrail 2.5 has a timing chain.

Brakes can be done at any garage, and there are many aftermarket companies supplying brakes (rotors/pads) for the XT. I got my last set at UAP/NAPA for a fraction of the cost.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not all 2005s had the fender rust issues. Mine still looks good and I live in an area that receives a lot of road salt wintertime.

The Xtrail 2.5 has a timing chain.

Brakes can be done at any garage, and there are many aftermarket companies supplying brakes (rotors/pads) for the XT. I got my last set at UAP/NAPA for a fraction of the cost.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the information.

Is the issue after the 2.5 motor (butterfly screws) affect the canadian model of the X-Trail? To me that would seem like a deal-breaker. Perusing the forum, seems like the X-Trail is not getting the recognition it needs as far as recalls / TSB etc...

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think the biggest issues with the Xtrail here in Canada are:

1) Potential rust issues (05 models)
2) wheel bearings
3) brake issues (especially the rear brakes)
4) freezing door locks/latches.

I don't think the butterfly screw problem is as big an issue with the XT. I read about a couple on the Australian Xtrail forum with problems, but I've yet to see one here.
The Sentra SE-R Spec-V also shared the 2.5L, and there were a bunch of those back in 02-03 eating butterfly screws and ruining engines (I actually owned one of these cars in 02, but I had no problems). Since the butterflys don't open until high rpms, this will probably explain why SpecVs were having issues (i.e. being driven like race cars).

That is just my opinion, I'm sure some others will chime in here with responses.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just bought a 2006 X-trail a few months ago. (Ontario) I had many of the same concerns.

Do you think parts availability will be a concern for years to come with the X-Trail
I phoned Nissan direct and asked about service and parts support over the next 5 or 6 years. They told me, they would fully support the x-trail line for as long as is required. They did not see any issues with sourcing parts considering how popular the car was in other countries. Second hand parts might be a different story.

The brakes as other people mentioned are not a problem as far as having other garages do them. They are a pretty simple system that is fairly easy to work on. I personally just finished lubing all the slide pins on my brakes when I swapped over my tires. It took about 1 hours swap tires, pull all the pins and lube.

Timing chain was answered.

For the record, I am seeing real world gas mileage of about 9-11 L/100kms with about 80% city driving (AWD)

So far I am very happy with the X-trail. Good room/storage, nice seating position, handles well (for an SUV) good gas mileage, easy to work on (do my own oil and tranny fluid changes), interior has held up well, love the selectable awd funtions, small enough to fit in a normal garage, well equipped for the price.

My only complaints are limited tire choices for the 17inch rims, heated seats take about 3-4 minutes to heat up properly. (my friends beamer will roast the hairs off your behind in about 20 seconds)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone's feedback on this.

I've decided to look for a X-Trail 2005 or 2006 SE model with a manual transmission. I'll be trying to find one below 75k. Hopefully I will be an X-trail owner within a month or two.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a 2006 X-Trail SE - 5 speed. I negotiated it to the point where the price was right. 14625$ CDN, coming with 4 new all-season tires and 4 winter tires + rims (winter tires have at most a winter or two of usage).

It's got a little more KM than I wished for, 94000 km, but the dealer where I'm going offers a written warranty of 10 years 200000 KM for motor and transmission (same as manufacturer) if you go do the oil changes / scheduled maintenance there.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's not bad, in hamilton, ontario I got an LE with the auto, AWD etc, for $14999 in Dec with 75K on it. I got a lifetime warrenty on the motor as well, but they want you to do oil changes at every 5K, and if you miss by 1 km, it's void. I pitched it in the garbage. They also gave me 6000 for my trade in. Are you trading anything in with this deal?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I guess the market is a bit higher on the X-Trails here (Québec). A 2006 LE (very rare here, guess all the locations haven't come back) would go for about 17000 minimum with that kind of milleage.

Anyhow, I'll get information concerning the "warranty" as well. There wasn't really that kind of details on the "service contract" they gave me it's always good to get it in writing before the sale.

As far as trade-in go, I'm not trading anything, so no money playing on the trade-in.

·
X-Trail Moderator
902 Posts
I found a 2006 X-Trail SE - 5 speed. ....

It's got a little more KM than I wished for, 94000 km, but the dealer where I'm going offers a written warranty of 10 years 200000 KM for motor and transmission (same as manufacturer) if you go do the oil changes / scheduled maintenance there.

What do you guys think?
Suggestion:
Ask the dealer about brakes pads and discs maintenance.
As most would agree, the rear discs and pads should have been replaced.

Check the rear hatch handle for rusty spring and pin. This rust will dribble down onto the rear hatch (below the lisence plate) and stain the painted pannel. It would be easy for the dealer to dismantle the hatch handle and replace the rusty parts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have you considered buying one from ontario, here is where I bought mine from. The X-trail is a good seller for these guys, they stock a bunch. The only thing is they don't usually negotiate too much on the price, but would give you good money for a trade in. You could shoot them an email. I can vouch that they are pretty good for taking care of any issues with the safety. They did over $600 worth of brake work and stuff to my xtrail before selling it to me.

Nissan X-Trail: Used Cars: Burlington, Hamilton, Ontario

Just a note, when I bought mine, they were struggling for sales, and were trying to meet a quota of 100 cars sold on New Years eve, so I had some leverage.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I guys !!!

Today im did a little trip from Québec to Charlevoix (Malbaie, 350km) with my wife for try our new X-Trail 2005 LE (50 000km). I'm falling in love !!! :eek:

I'm really impress by the gas millage !!! I did 350 km with a half of my tank ... I realized with some test this week that i did the same millage that i did with my Nissan sentra 2004 and it just have 10 L tank moore that the Sentra ... So just 10 $ difference to full of gas !!! Not Bad !!!

The motor is nice and did the job for tha major part of the trip, but I had notice that it have miss some power in some big hill ... I keep the pedal down and the max speed i reach is 85km ... so the speed limit is 90km ... :eek: So .... I said that to my wife at this moment '' I think this is the sacrifice that we have to do for saving lot of buck (gas) !!! Keep in mind, that i have no luggage with me ... just my wife and me .... Oh and the baby, because she is pregnant !!! But im still to convince me that a really big hill ... but fortunately i have no camper attach to my hitch !!! doh !!!

The driving experience really impress me !!! Really nice visibility, good handling and my "Le" leather seat as been very confortable for all the trip. Also i really like the automatic climate control, My old Nissan Sentra 2004 don't miss me !!! loll :rolleyes:

Friday morning I had installed a new set of tire " Toyo Open Country H/T " in 215/65/R16 and I can say to you that it do the job !!! They produced some notisable noise on road, but the handling is great and in the rain as well !!!

My wife complain all the trip about the security belt on the front passenger side bock all the time, without I touch the brake or do anything !!! So she had to unlock the belt to have some lose. The fact the she is pregnant don't help so much !!! So I read in some thread on the forum that a commun trouble with some X-Trail since 2005 ... :woowoo:

I experinced an another little promblem with my X. I don't know if it is a known promblem by X-Trailer but my gas indicator seem dont be able to reach the top of "F" bar when I did a full of gas ... It reach an half centimeter lower the ''F'' bar ...

In conclusion, despite my little problem of lack of power, i'm really falling in love with this VUS and I really don't regret to did that move !!! I think that my familly and me will have some fun with this new car for a couple of year !!!

Cheer, :fluffy:

Jonathan

·
Registered
22 Posts
I experinced an another little promblem with my X. I don't know if it is a known promblem by X-Trailer but my gas indicator seem dont be able to reach the top of "F" bar when I did a full of gas ... It reach an half centimeter lower the ''F'' bar ...
My 2005 SE started doing that a few months ago... haven't figured out why yet. It used to stay on full for about 100km and then start dropping, now after filling it doesn't even touch the F mark.

Ian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I signed the dotted line last night on the X-Trail.

14400$ for a 5 speed 4x4 2006 SE model with 94k km on it. It comes with 4 extra rims and winter tires, a hitch (used for a biking rack, 100% certain), and a remote starter, which I have no idea how to use on a manual transmission vehicule (tips are welcome!!!).

After inspection, the following repairs will be done (written on offer sheet):

- Oil change & filter
- Air filter
- Alternator strap
- 2 new wipers
- 4 new summer tires
- Brake service (brakes were inspected and are fine)
- Alignment
- 2 new front shocks
- 3 little dents repaired.
- attachment of rear window gasket on both doors

I think I got a decent deal, hopefully it will serve me and my little familly well!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a remote starter on a 5-speed - not an X-Trail, though. Had to de-activate the clutch-in to start failsafe.
To activate my starter you have to:
Be in the car with it running in neutral.
You then push the button and it "arms" itself.
You take the key out and IT STAYS RUNNING.
You get out and close the door(s).
Push the button again and the vehicle shuts off.
Now the car "knows" it's in neutral so there's no danger of it trying to start in gear. Remember: the clutch-in failsafe is no longer there.
In the morning or whatever you push the button and it starts.
Technically you could pop it into gear once it's off and fool if you left a window open but if the window's open it ain't cold enough to require a remote starter to begin with.
Btw, if you open any door before remote starting it cancels itself out since it's no longer sure the vehicle's in neutral.
That's how mine works.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a remote starter on a 5-speed - not an X-Trail, though. Had to de-activate the clutch-in to start failsafe.
To activate my starter you have to:
Be in the car with it running in neutral.
You then push the button and it "arms" itself.
You take the key out and IT STAYS RUNNING.
You get out and close the door(s).
Push the button again and the vehicle shuts off.
Now the car "knows" it's in neutral so there's no danger of it trying to start in gear. Remember: the clutch-in failsafe is no longer there.
In the morning or whatever you push the button and it starts.
Technically you could pop it into gear once it's off and fool if you left a window open but if the window's open it ain't cold enough to require a remote starter to begin with.
Btw, if you open any door before remote starting it cancels itself out since it's no longer sure the vehicle's in neutral.
That's how mine works.
Thanks alot, I guess I'll try it once I get possession of the vehicule.

One clarification, I suppose this procedure has to be repeated every single time I want to use the remote starter the next day?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Buying an '06 X-Trail

I am close to buying an '06 X-trail. Is there anything special that I should look out for? It's a FWD with @ 93000 km and had fan noise from the dash and the dealer said they would fix it. Any ideas or suggestions would be great

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought an mint 06 SE with 50k km for 19k after tax in BC...not sure if that will help with negotiagtions. I found the seat belt was very loose on both sides up front and ask that they fix it before I buy it (it's still under partial warrenty). the rest of the car is great! We bought it because it's a smaller 4-cylinder engine yet 4 wheel drive, it has more room and confortable seats (I'm 6'3) than a RAV4 (our other choice), the moon roof, clearance for exploring the logging roads in our area, the laydown back without removing the seats, the 6-disc changer and heated seats; plus room for our dog in the back (as opposed to our 2 door car). Thought I'd share; hope that helps get your thoughts going. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts