Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just recently bought my first 300zx and what a car! I came to this forum to read up on what you all have to say and im very impressed with everyone's vast knowledge.

So, I now want to hear from the community your Cheapest and Easiest ways to improve the 300zx's performance.

My lady is the 1992 300zx Twin Turbo GCZ32

Feel free to talk about other years and all

Looking forward to hearing from you all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You can get a Manual Turbo boost controller off ebay for about $20, Its wicked easy to install and will add about 50 hp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No man, the Manual boost controller is a device that regulates the amount of air pressure applied to the intake manifold of an engine that is equipped with a turbocharger.

If you want to learn a little more about it check out this article. there's some great stuff on this site.
Intro to Boost Control

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can get a Manual Turbo boost controller off ebay for about $20, Its wicked easy to install and will add about 50 hp
Are you kidding me? Putting a boost controller on a stock ECU will damage your motor.
Cheapest way to improve performance should be followed in this order.
Maintenance, why "upgrade" your 200hp Z and slowly be killing the motor?
Intake JWT = ~100.
Downpipes/testpipes/catback > ~600 if using all ebay.
ECU = Ashspec = 250, JWT = 400-500.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd do the intake, exhaust, fuel rails, and an engine computer. I don't believe in turbos. Yeah, they give you power and boost, but It's not worth spending the time and money because they cut your engine life in half. Forcing all that air back into your motor will eventually kill it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you kidding me? Putting a boost controller on a stock ECU will damage your motor.
Cheapest way to improve performance should be followed in this order.
Maintenance, why "upgrade" your 200hp Z and slowly be killing the motor?
Intake JWT = ~100.
Downpipes/testpipes/catback > ~600 if using all ebay.
ECU = Ashspec = 250, JWT = 400-500.
My mistake

By controlling how much air is compressed from your tubro manually you can give it too much for your stock ECU to respond and give more fuel, which will lead to engine knocking

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd do the intake, exhaust, fuel rails, and an engine computer. I don't believe in turbos. Yeah, they give you power and boost, but It's not worth spending the time and money because they cut your engine life in half. Forcing all that air back into your motor will eventually kill it...
how could you not believe in turbos? the NA wont get anywhere hp wise.

·
Registered
129 Posts
how could you not believe in turbos? the NA wont get anywhere hp wise
I agree gotta go TT to get some real power. so spongerider enlighten us with your vast knowledge I also want to know the easiest and cheapest way to improve your Z performance.

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
I agree gotta go TT to get some real power. so spongerider enlighten us with your vast knowledge I also want to know the easiest and cheapest way to improve your Z performance.
Starting from stock.
Going the cheapest and easiest way is to make sure your Z is in good health (compression, and current maintenance has been done).

Before I start naming what parts to use remember the more power you make the more stopping power you need. Our cars are designed to stop with our stock engine hp. in mind. What I mean to say is when you mod your engine don't forget your braking system. I think the stock Z32 brakes are a weak point in our cars. With that said lets go on.

Engine:
-Intake for better breathing (~$95 -105)
-Exhaust for better breathing (~$600~1200)
-Upgraded IC (~$725-1300)
-ECU Upgrade (~$250-550)

Brakes:
-Brake kit for the front (~$450-3000)
- If you can't afford the kit get them in pcs.
-Brake line ($130.00)
(This is a big impact on the braking system because it doesn't allow the hose to cushion the pressure to the brakes like rubber hoses that expand under pressure in other words better sensitivity and no spongy feel.)
- Change the rotors (~$160.00-400)
- Change pads (~$45-130)
(Remember that some pads need to match the rotors or they will cause warpage because of the heat build up.)

Will that's my opinion on moding and yours might vary. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts