Nissan Forum banner

Possible SR20DET into S13 project

11K views 51 replies 1 participant last post by  dono200sx 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I think this is the right forum to post this in. I'm told that the S13's are the best balanced of the 240s. What I am wanting to do is through an SR20DET in one. Which model would I be best suited for? So far, I've heard that an '89 or '90 model would be the best. Any thoughts? I'm planning on buying the car with blown motor and then taking it to Boostfactor in Irving, TX and having them do the swap. Will the S15 motor swap into the S13 body?

Also, can anyone point me in teh right direction for doing research in this chasis? So far this forum is all I have to 240s. Thanks peeps!

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Cool. This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I'm going to be doing some homework now that I know where to look. Are there and differences advantages b/t the 91-94 models?

Discussion starter · #5 ·
OK. Now just to decide which motor to swap in. I would love the S15 since it already has around 250HP. But it is so much more expensive than getting the S13 DET swapped in. Anyone have an idea which would me the most cost-efficient? One thing that really makes the S15 swap attractive is the 6-spd tranny, and I dont believe the S13 has the 6-spd.

Discussion starter · #7 · (Edited)
Fast240-T said:
[BThe S15 motors will run you around $5500-6000. If you ask us, we'd say stay away, since they are so expensive. You can get the S13 motor and do a turbo upgrade and make more power. [/B]
I'm thinking the same thing. Seems like it would be cheaper to get the S13 and upgrade the motor and turbo, and get more power than the S15. Is there a way to get a 6-spd for the S13? Would it be worth trying?

I'm trying to decide b/t the Fastback and Coupe. Which would eb better? I'm not worried about the looks as much as I am keeping power. Is there much of a wieght difference? Since I don't have the 240 yet, I am still open to suggestions. Also, where is a good place to get a 240 with a blown motor and the body be in good condition?

Anyone wanna buy a 200SX? :D

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Fast240-T said:
We've got a couple of S13's at the shop with blown motors, Just stop by and take a look. If not just ask Sammy to keep an eye out for you. If you're looking for the lightest one, I would have to say the S13 fastback. You don't have all the weight of that glass hatch. I wouldn't bother getting the S15 tranny. Alot of the guys in Japan swap out their 6 speed's for the 5 speed anyways.
I just might be able to stop by the shop on my way to my girlfriend's house. I want to know exactly how much I'll be spending before I start the project so I can plan which mods come first. BTW, do yall have access to a dyno? I'd like to find out where my 200SX is at with the couple mods that are on there.

Fastback it is. Personally I like the looks of the fastback and coupe, so the only thing that matters is weight and balancing. Hence the reason for going for the S13 body....

How come they go for the 5-spd? The 6-spd was more of a nicety than anything. But then again, I drive in rush hour traffic , so less gears is nice. (I need a better job to be driving to MacArthur and 114 everday from Mesquite) Thanks for the help!

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Fast240-T said:
They use the 5 speed because the stock tranny is good for 500+hp. Anything after that they normally use an aftermarket transmission anyways.
Speaking of tranny upgrades, what choices are there? I once saw in a video of Nissan, where the guy changed gears by either pushing forward or pulling backward on the gear shift. That blew me away! How much is a setup like that? lol it's probably more than I can afford...

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Fast240-T said:
Don't worry, the sticky pages are just from other enthusiests drooling all over the pages at all the bad ass products listed.
Speaking of drooling... I wonder how much they want for that bolt-on.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
That formerly-known-as-Sil-80, is friggin mean looking dood! Do any of the other front valences interchange onto the S13? I'm not sure if I want to alter the body any, but it would be nice to know what choices I have. Currently I am going to go for the sleeper look. Once I have enough under the hood to back up the looks, I might do a body kit of some sort. But that's a ways off.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Well I'm on my way to the shop now. I'll make sure to take a look at the mag when I get there. Thanks for the help man!

Discussion starter · #21 ·
After an enlightening couple hours at BoostFactor (thanks for the hospitality guys!), I still have questions. OK here goes.

1st...What is the stock HP at the wheels? Torque? (S13 SR20DET)

2nd... Is the boost able to be set at will? In other words, am I able to dial in how much boost I want to be pushing at that time? If so, what is the lowest amount of boost I can push? Highest possible? I want to be able to upgrade the turbo in the future and would like to have that sort of control if possible. That way, when it is raining cats and dogs I can tame the beast until it's safe to run it's usual power. I hope to save some gas that way also, though I don't think good gas mileage is gonna be possible with what I want to do with the engine.

3rd... What is this Hydrosystem I am hearing about? Where is some info I can read up on? And as usual, how much. Typical broke newbie question... ;)

Well I'm off to bed now. Hopefully I can get the issues resolved with the 200SX soon, so I can get it off my hands, and the 240 into my hands... :D

Discussion starter · #23 ·
What all is needed to get the PSI up to 14? If I am going to be putting an IC on there, which I will, I want to go ahead and get one big enough to surpass the needs of say a T3/T4. What else do I need to keep in mind? Blow-off valves, tubing?

Personally I think I am going to be shooting for a minimum of 400 HP at the wheels. Now if I can only find the answer to those other questions. Any ideas as to where I can look to find them? If you haven't noticed I know very little about turbos. I am learning though. Are there any good web sites I can look at and learn more about turbos?

Discussion starter · #25 ·
toys toys toys... and o ya... MORE TOYS

Sounds good to me. I have a feeling the bigger turbo is gonna have to wait, though I am hoping to get enough from my car and the other stuff i'm selling to get as much power as posisble out of the car from the start. Now I just need to talk to Sammy about how much the turbo upgrade will cost in addition to the swap.

What is the minimum i can do for the clutch on my 200 and be safe? I would like to not have to spend much on repairing that car so i'll have more money for the 240. Any ideas?

Discussion starter · #27 · (Edited)
Ya. It wouldnt hurt to see how much they will give me for it. But I doubt I will get as much as the car is worth if i sell it to a dealer. Once it is ready I'm gonna post it on the forums here and in the classifieds..

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Duc, Do you remember if BF was wanting to put a JDM spec engine in the 240? Where do they get their engines from? I knew I forgot to ask them something the other day when I was at the shop...

Discussion starter · #30 ·
I didn't look at anything in the back yesterday. We talked about everything in the showroom.

Are yall open tomorrow? If so what time, I'd like to take a closer look at that red (the one with the blown motor, I want to see the inside of the car, what condition the dash is, etc. ) and also see if German? might be able to look at my A/C compressor. I'm wondering if servicing the compressor wont fix it. I'm not getting any cool air from it any more. I did have a guy recharge the a/c which worked for all of a few mins. I want to see the inside of the car, what condition the dash is, etc.

How is the suspension on that 240? Does it need to be replaced right away? Or can it wait a while until I can put something nice in it? How old are the tires on it? I'll be putting new ones on there soon anyways, but if I can wait a month or so to get the Kuhmo 712s mounted, etc that would be great.

Does the stereo work? Tape deck? So long as there is sound I'll be happy. I dont need exceptional sound, just something to listen to other than the engine. Though I do find myself turning off the radio and listening to the engine more and more...

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Do you know of any other 240s then? Do you know much about the 240 that Sammy got from that body shop? He said it would be a week or so before he knew how much to ask for it. Have you seen the car? Or of someone with a 240 w/ blown motor?

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Do you have an idea of what Sammy might end up wanting for it? based on what you know now...

Out of curiosity, has anyone attempted to take an AWD DET and turn a 240 into AWD? Is it possible to do? Seems to me like it would be one heck of a beast if someone managed to do this. If it doesnt require a lot of expense, I might consider trying to do this. Do you think it would be worth the effort? Just a lil curiosity sinking through... :D

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Fast240-T said:
Now, if you ask me about it in the Altima....hmmmmmm....you do know they have them over there AWD don't you????????????? hm...... but it's still gonna be costly and we would have to be on the suppliers ass 24/7 about getting all the right parts. Anyways, it's a though, but I have so many ideas in my head it hurts...
I did not know they make AWD Altima's over there. That's friggin cool. O belive me I have many ideas too, but what I dont have is the money. That hurts... lol I need a new job... this one doesnt pay squat. It's hard to work on a project car and support yourself on just under $10/hr while driving almost an hour each way to work. Maybe I should go update my resume.... Atleast the schedule is good.... I can't wait to see that white 240. White was actually the color I was hoping for. Either that or I am goingto have it painted a metallic silver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.