Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I think this is the right forum to post this in. I'm told that the S13's are the best balanced of the 240s. What I am wanting to do is through an SR20DET in one. Which model would I be best suited for? So far, I've heard that an '89 or '90 model would be the best. Any thoughts? I'm planning on buying the car with blown motor and then taking it to Boostfactor in Irving, TX and having them do the swap. Will the S15 motor swap into the S13 body?

Also, can anyone point me in teh right direction for doing research in this chasis? So far this forum is all I have to 240s. Thanks peeps!

S

·
0 Posts
Actually, the 91 - 94 model would be your best bet for the swap. For two reasons, the power steering lines are in the right place and the a/c compressor will bolt up to an SR. With an 89 - 90 model you will have to get a new high pressure power steering line and make a custom mount for the a/c compressor. To answer your question, the S15 SR will fit into an S13.. just make sure you get the driveshaft and rear differential for it to work properly. If you need more information try:

www.240sxforums.com :D
www.srswap.com

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. This is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I'm going to be doing some homework now that I know where to look. Are there and differences advantages b/t the 91-94 models?

S

·
0 Posts
91-94 model is almost identical to the 89-90 model with a few differences. The 91-94 came with a 155hp DOHC motor, the 89-90 came with a 140hp SOHC motor. The 91-94 also has a slightly different front end. I only recommended the 91-94 because it will make an SR swap easier.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. Now just to decide which motor to swap in. I would love the S15 since it already has around 250HP. But it is so much more expensive than getting the S13 DET swapped in. Anyone have an idea which would me the most cost-efficient? One thing that really makes the S15 swap attractive is the 6-spd tranny, and I dont believe the S13 has the 6-spd.

F

·
0 Posts
Hey donovan, this is Duc from Boostfactor. If you have any questions you can email me or call the shop and talk to Sammy. The S15 motors will run you around $5500-6000. If you ask us, we'd say stay away, since they are so expensive. You can get the S13 motor and do a turbo upgrade and make more power. But the S15 already comes with a nice turbo. I think the S15's turbo's max out at around 320 or so hp. You can get the S13 up to around 250hp on the stock turbo. Come up there sometime, and we can tell you what ever you want to know. Pretty soon the website will be updated with all the faq about the SR20det's too.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Fast240-T said:
[BThe S15 motors will run you around $5500-6000. If you ask us, we'd say stay away, since they are so expensive. You can get the S13 motor and do a turbo upgrade and make more power. [/B]
I'm thinking the same thing. Seems like it would be cheaper to get the S13 and upgrade the motor and turbo, and get more power than the S15. Is there a way to get a 6-spd for the S13? Would it be worth trying?

I'm trying to decide b/t the Fastback and Coupe. Which would eb better? I'm not worried about the looks as much as I am keeping power. Is there much of a wieght difference? Since I don't have the 240 yet, I am still open to suggestions. Also, where is a good place to get a 240 with a blown motor and the body be in good condition?

Anyone wanna buy a 200SX? :D

F

·
0 Posts
We've got a couple of S13's at the shop with blown motors, Just stop by and take a look. If not just ask Sammy to keep an eye out for you. If you're looking for the lightest one, I would have to say the S13 fastback. You don't have all the weight of that glass hatch. I wouldn't bother getting the S15 tranny. Alot of the guys in Japan swap out their 6 speed's for the 5 speed anyways. Alot of people think that because the gears in the 6speed are thinner, that it won't handle over 350hp. But Blitz has already proven that wrong, since they put 430hp down on a stock S15 tranny. The reason I say stay away from the 6speed tranny is because you would also have to find the S15 LSD and drive shaft. The speed sensor is on the LSD on the S15, while it's on the 5speed trannys. We'll I don't know if you've seen the Sil-eighty lately, but it's not a sil-eighty anymore. We sold the Silvia front end to a customer and now have a S15 front on. Here's a pic.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fast240-T said:
We've got a couple of S13's at the shop with blown motors, Just stop by and take a look. If not just ask Sammy to keep an eye out for you. If you're looking for the lightest one, I would have to say the S13 fastback. You don't have all the weight of that glass hatch. I wouldn't bother getting the S15 tranny. Alot of the guys in Japan swap out their 6 speed's for the 5 speed anyways.
I just might be able to stop by the shop on my way to my girlfriend's house. I want to know exactly how much I'll be spending before I start the project so I can plan which mods come first. BTW, do yall have access to a dyno? I'd like to find out where my 200SX is at with the couple mods that are on there.

Fastback it is. Personally I like the looks of the fastback and coupe, so the only thing that matters is weight and balancing. Hence the reason for going for the S13 body....

How come they go for the 5-spd? The 6-spd was more of a nicety than anything. But then again, I drive in rush hour traffic , so less gears is nice. (I need a better job to be driving to MacArthur and 114 everday from Mesquite) Thanks for the help!

F

·
0 Posts
They use the 5 speed because the stock tranny is good for 500+hp. Anything after that they normally use an aftermarket transmission anyways.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fast240-T said:
They use the 5 speed because the stock tranny is good for 500+hp. Anything after that they normally use an aftermarket transmission anyways.
Speaking of tranny upgrades, what choices are there? I once saw in a video of Nissan, where the guy changed gears by either pushing forward or pulling backward on the gear shift. That blew me away! How much is a setup like that? lol it's probably more than I can afford...

F

·
0 Posts
Alot of the guys use the Grex (Greddy/Trust) Sequential (that's what they are called) transmissions. They are alittle pricey and they are in the $8,000+ catagory. There are alot of different companies that make them. Ask to see the Hyper-Rev magazine when you get to the shop. They list almost everything that's made for the S13-S15 silvia's. Don't worry, the sticky pages are just from other enthusiests drooling all over the pages at all the bad ass products listed. If you just want you car to shift like a sequential transmission, you can get the IKEYA FORMULA - sequential shifter. It bolt's right on to the SR tranny. Here's the link to it. It's very new to the market, so I don't know exactly how good it is. http://www.ikeya-f.co.jp/english/

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fast240-T said:
Don't worry, the sticky pages are just from other enthusiests drooling all over the pages at all the bad ass products listed.
Speaking of drooling... I wonder how much they want for that bolt-on.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That formerly-known-as-Sil-80, is friggin mean looking dood! Do any of the other front valences interchange onto the S13? I'm not sure if I want to alter the body any, but it would be nice to know what choices I have. Currently I am going to go for the sleeper look. Once I have enough under the hood to back up the looks, I might do a body kit of some sort. But that's a ways off.

F

·
0 Posts
Alot of people swap out the S14's front end to the S13's too, but the most populare one's are still the sil-80 and the strawberry face conversions. I think we have 1 S13 silvia front end conversion left. Just take a look at the Hyper-Rev, and you can get lots of idea's from it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I'm on my way to the shop now. I'll make sure to take a look at the mag when I get there. Thanks for the help man!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts