Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Paddle Shifted
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking my stock air intake off my car to install the Injen and noticed dark oily soot in the throttle body and one of the vacume hoses. Its very carmelized but I'm sure some made it into the engine. The engine is still running a smooth as ever, actually better because of the Injen, but I'm worried. What might the problem be? That's if there is a problem. I can get very paranoid when I modify my car.

·
One Wheel Drive
142 Posts
kellen_wynn said:
I was taking my stock air intake off my car to install the Injen and noticed dark oily soot in the throttle body and one of the vacume hoses. Its very carmelized but I'm sure some made it into the engine. The engine is still running a smooth as ever, actually better because of the Injen, but I'm worried. What might the problem be? That's if there is a problem. I can get very paranoid when I modify my car.
Believe it or not that is supposed to happen.

Its a part of the EGR system that recirculates a portion of your exhaust gas to be burned for a second time.

The result is a sooty throttle plate and surrounding area.

Just clean it with carb cleaner and q-tips. If you want to go overboard, take it off, remove the throttle plate, clean it, and then wax the inner walls.

Do this about once or twice a year.

·
Paddle Shifted
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch. I get real paranoid when I mod my car. I can get so bad even If a bolt doen't look tight enough I flip out. Well maybe thats a little overboard. Thanks.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
Overboard

kellen_wynn said:
Thanks a bunch. I get real paranoid when I mod my car. I can get so bad even If a bolt doen't look tight enough I flip out. Well maybe thats a little overboard. Thanks.
Jesus, my car would make you scream. I wish bolts not looking tight was the biggest of my problems. Have you ever seen a KA24E? Better question, have you ever heard the incessant click of the poorly adjusted lifters, or felt the ethylene glycol spill all over your face as you're trying to find the source of the leak? Have you ever smelled refrigerant after an A/C line explosion? If you haven't, you're not a true S13 fanatic. But hell, you'll get your fair share of problems soon... Until then, good luck being so fastidious!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Son of a b...knox gases and emissions...oh well...egr doesn't operate under WOT so it doesn't matter.

Yeah my throttle would actually stick closed...I would have to tap the gas a bit to get it unstuck...then I could give 'er some throttle with ease. When I removed it, there was sludge...like pudding, in the tubbing right before the throttle body...that could be from the pcv eh?

Any way I took my throttle body off, cleaned it REALLY good...polished it for the hell...I was bored. and put it back on...I noticed 100hp gains..HA HAHA...not really that was a joke.

It didn't stick after that. And I had fun polishing the metal...hell I prolly made the air flow worse by doing that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts