Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MFCoEJ Juror
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that a turbo kit is expensive due to the fact that anyone really can install it. We also know that customized fabrication is cheaper, but much more time consuming.

What if you could combine the best of both worlds? Buy the fabricated items in a kit, and buy the rest of the parts as you choose.

Like many of you, I can not afford a DET conversion. So I was thinking, if you could buy the basic parts of a turbo kit (piping, oil lines, manifold) together, and then go get the turbo unit, the intercooler, injectors, pistons, ECU reprogaming seperate how much would that be worth to you???

Now, I havent run any numbers or gotten any quotes from suppliers. But I think I have a business plan to be able to offer just this.

I need to get a pulse of the people here. This is not an ad, and I am not selling anything. Nor am I a business, just a poor college student looking for a way to pay for mods for my own use.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Two things,
first if/when you offer the kit I would like you to know that we do not allow vendors to sell things on the board. Second HotShot already does this. You do have a good idea, but it looks like you got beat to market. I would be cool however if you ended up being cheaper then them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
the only thing that stinks about not allowing vendors to post is that we never get the best deals. couldn't there be a vendors section. allowing them to negotiate w/ us and lower their prices allowing us to get the best possible deal. For some of our cars, its hard to find good deals. If there are people out there that want to give them to us, why not let them? It does seem to be a shame that the ga16de turbo upgrade for the money doesn't seem worth it compared to the DET swap. This is just my opinion....

·
MFCoEJ Juror
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PatScottAKA99XE said:
Two things,
first if/when you offer the kit I would like you to know that we do not allow vendors to sell things on the board. Second HotShot already does this. You do have a good idea, but it looks like you got beat to market. I would be cool however if you ended up being cheaper then them.
First, Hotshot offers their own complete kit with their turbo, intercooler, and the rest. What I want to do is develop what I have described so that the tuner could use it and piece together even a "junk yard" turbo.

I believe I could offer this for as little as $1500. And since Hotshot's kit is $3200, this gives you alot of more versatility. Which means if someone wants to go the junk yard route, they could be running boost for as little as $2000, and without the downtime of a conventional fabricator.

As for the vendor thing, I think there should be a section for them. Or, make it so that vendors can only post vehicle/forum specific items. That way it keeps the spammers to a limit.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I allready made a stainless tubular manifold from the flange of the hotshot header. My uncle is a nissan mechanic, so we made one that would work. turbos can be found from VW to starions and conquests and so on. We are looking into a rebuilt unit. the piping can be bought from an exhuast mandrel bent place. Its not that hard, its time consuming, but I have been doing this car for 9 years. We had a manifold for years now and even started to make a manifold like the Civics have now, straight shot unit. The only part that was hard was finding a way to route the throttle cable onto the new unit. The rest is not hard at all. Granted you need a person good with a mig welder and tig welder and machinery to bend sheet metal of course!
Chris 92 classic

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Im sorry I forgot to about the group buys section. We do allow vendors there, but only for group buys. As for Hot Shot, they also offer just a starter kit wint no turbo, IC, ect. A member of this board is putting together a turbo system using the Hot Shot "starter kit"

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Other options.

Hot shot also sells their starter kit as well. Includes the manifold, downpipe and intercooler piping. You supply the turbo, either the T25 or T28 would work. I know your gonna say your limited to those but for the 1.6 they wre the BEST choices and the easiest to find. Those turbo's would be BOLT ON units, while if you were willing to modify a bit anything with a T25 exhaust flange would bolt on to the manifold.

This is the route I went. I wanted to use some different components like a better IC and BOV and a few other parts, so I just ordered the piping from HS.

Their piping kit is less than $1500

What are you offering for $1500 (ballpark)

·
MFCoEJ Juror
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well. after talking it over with various friends, and my bank account of course, that have forced induction experience, they said its a great idea, but theys just too much up front cost. And now from what you all are saying I am also seeing this.

Also, I didnt know that Hotshot did this, its not listed on their site.

That said, I am forming yet another plan.

How does a polished, stainless steel Cold Air Intake for $150 or less sound?

·
MFCoEJ Juror
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AL CAI I could do. Im gonna be prototyping a CAI when I go home for Thanksgiving. My car is still in primer and in a garage and the family shop is there so I will be having fun.

Basicly give me a price range and I will see if I can meet it. I'd be happy with a 20% profit, which is fair to everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts