Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently running a 95 200SX-SER. I have the JWF Header and Pop Charger, soon to be adding a cold air intake system to it. Im debating this possible setup for the exhaust. I will purchase a high flow cat, aftermarket resonator (Mine was taken off and can not be found), 2.25 piping from the cat back and finally a borla muffler. I am unsure if this will cause a dramatic loss in back pressure or if it will prove to be a good combo with my existing mods. Any feedback or possible ideas?

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you said SE-R...

sounds good. which borla muffler are you going to get? and remember, mandrel bends! some people reccommend the Random Technology cat, but I don't see the difference in them to be honest. But sounds like a good steup, do you have any other questions or were you just wondering?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mandrel For Sure

Im definitly going with Mandrel Bends. As for the muffler itself, I have not looked at one specifically. Im pretty sure I want to go Borla, but unsure what model. Im looking for something that wont drone and isnt too loud. I dont want them to know im coming, i just want them to see me going!! Any ideas on what type of muffler would be the best? Thanks for the reply.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a company that doesnt offer a mandrel bent exhaust? From my experience I would make sure at least the muffler and cat is stainless. All stainless would be nice too since I am noticing that my downpipe is chipping away. Of course I live in Michigan, damn salt, so it could be different with your weather.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My last system was aluminized stainless, and though it gets a bronze color to it it holds up great and lasted 3 winters and 4 summers in northern michigan. It was a custom setup with a flowmaster 40 series and no cat. I just wanted this new muffler and the lack of a cat was irritating so I got this setup. I now have a Dynomax Ultraflow muffler ($99) which is stainless steel with a thrush powder coated glasspack ($15) with a stainless catco cat ($62) I bought 2 90 degree stainless mandrel bends ($16) and had a muffler shop tack it all together ($100). I spent a total of 325 which includes the dual walled 4" stainless round tip ($25) and all parts and labor. The labor was high cause they put a new down pipe on for me. THe shop welded a flange on the cat to bolt it to the down pipe. It sounds soooo awesome, better than greddy sp and the stromung. I just put an AEBS header on my car and it only helped the sound. Everything from the cat back is 2.25" and the piping the garage used was aluminized stainless.

BRent

·
Registered
413 Posts
I went with a similiar set-up on my G20. I had the Borla 14" turbo 2.25" in/out with all stainless 2.25" cat back. If you do not care about a high decibel exhaust and don't care about hearing yourself think on the free-way, go with the Borla. They are awesome mufflers. And they sound raw, just raw and powerful.

But, if you are like me and become somewhat annoyed with that over the years, the Borla is not the route you want to take. It is loud as hell, drones on the freeway and the in cabin resonance is obnoxious, especially for passengers.

I ended up replacing the rear section with a 18" 5"x8" Magnaflow Stainless 2.25" in/out and absolutely love it

IMO, go with a Dynomax or Magnaflow stainless muffler. You will be very happy with either one in the end. They are both of great quality, sound, and looks.

And remember, the longer the muffler the quieter the sound.

·
Registered
135 Posts
On a N/A se-r, the high flow cat does nothing for power, as the cat is already free-flowing enough. Spend the money on another mod.

Ju§tin

·
Registered
92 Posts
it doesn't cost any different for aluminized stainless and definitly a must. It will just plain hold up and last longer than regular steel pipes.

Brent

·
Registered
92 Posts
every shop I have been to has aluminized stainless steel, you won't find a high grade 304 or so stainless that is polishable. You will need to order stainless mandrel bends, stainless cat and stainless muffler and tip, then the piping they use to connect it all will be aluminized stainless.

BRent

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would go with the Greddy SP with 2.25 piping. Seems to work good on my 97 SE-R.

DO NOT BUY THE STILLEN EXHAUST!!!!!!
SHIT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts