Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, im a real noob when it comes to cars, but i know a bit from what my friends have told me, and i was wondering if it was possible to do an engine swap on a 1996 sentra, currently has the ga16de, and i want to know if its possible to swap in a sr20det. im pretty certain my car is FWD, and ive read and seen in some places that the sr20det only comes in RWD. then i came across this site that offers the sr20det for FWD cars, although i think the engine itself is AWD. this engine is JDM, and i know very little about this subject, and if anyone is willing to help, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
giro said:
hey all, im a real noob when it comes to cars, but i know a bit from what my friends have told me, and i was wondering if it was possible to do an engine swap on a 1996 sentra, currently has the ga16de, and i want to know if its possible to swap in a sr20det. im pretty certain my car is FWD, and ive read and seen in some places that the sr20det only comes in RWD. then i came across this site that offers the sr20det for FWD cars, although i think the engine itself is AWD. this engine is JDM, and i know very little about this subject, and if anyone is willing to help, it would be greatly appreciated.
well first off people are so going to rag on you for posting this.. you really do need to search this subject. there are different kinds of sr20det theres rwd awd and fwd. fwd is called the blue bird comes out of the pulsair gtir if im not mistaken if so plz correct me. yes your car is front wheel drive. awd motors will fit in your car too. also read up at sr20forums. this swap will not be easy tho. since your a noob i wouldnt recomend it. even when you get the motor you still need tranny, cv shafts, ecu, wiring harness, motor mounts, and im sure theres other things im leaving out. i havent done the swap but ive looked into it thats all i kno good luck... as far as the awd motor i think it works maybe the motor with a different tranny. im sure some one will clerify that

·
Drop-Out
1,892 Posts
95% of the chance you will not do it. nissans are not like honda were every part works on every engine..its alot more then you think

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nismo1997 said:
95% of the chance you will not do it. nissans are not like honda were every part works on every engine..its alot more then you think
Yeah thats true building a honda is like working with legos nissans like the square peg in the circular hole idea just mod the ga16 and go from there plenty of stuff you can do just have to find the right stuff and thats why you have read and yada yada :hal:

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
Nismo1997 said:
yeah this guy from the shop told me not to waste my money on sr20 swap unless i have money to spend. Since i wouldn't be doing the work I would have to pay him to do it and it would be more than $3k. He also told me that he doesn't like to do Nissan swaps cause just like you said ..they are not like hondas so he told me that i might have problems later on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nismo1997 said:
yo...thats what me and my cousin say about hondas all the time..the exact phrase..how they are like legos, they can jus swap out engine and block soo easy... :thumbdwn: ..its not fair...

·
Registered
10 Posts
im going to be doing the sr20det swap into a 91 se-r, so the swap is going to be extremely simple. basically putting the same motor back into the car. i definately would not be messing with a swap unless you really know the car inside and out, epspecially if you do not know what type of drive you car is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts