Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw this guy the other day he told he would port and polish my motor. i just wanted to know how much hp that might give me? i have the ga16de motor 1.6

·
Registered
106 Posts
please read this

also, make sure "this guy" isnt just little jimmy down the road who bought a polishing kit from walmart with his b-day money. but accually knows what he is doing!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nismo1.6 said:
please read this

also, make sure "this guy" isnt just little jimmy down the road who bought a polishing kit from walmart with his b-day money. but accually knows what he is doing!
this guy i have know for a long time and he's done work on other cars.
he has also done work to his own car he's not a nissan fan like me but he likes the nissan cars. he drives a neon and its fast but its it alot faster than mine. he also works as mechanice he does it for a living. but just preformance work. so should i do it he said he would do it for $150 for labor and everything.the entire motor

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
sentra 98 said:
he has also done work to his own car he's not a nissan fan like me but he likes the nissan cars. he drives a neon and its fast but its it alot faster than mine. he also works as mechanice he does it for a living. but just preformance work. so should i do it he said he would do it for $150 for labor and everything.the entire motor
its not the motor its the head, you port/polish it to accheave better flow. (read that link i posted as nismo1.6 then ENTIRE PAGE...i thought i told you too already lol) but if you trust the guy i would say sure, if thats what you want to do. $150 isnt bad and it will help if you decide to turbo down the road. and paired with I/H/E it will be great.

but please read www.sentra.net and www.nissanperformancemag.com <1.6L turbo by: mike young) every question you have asked here is covered on those 2 sites (questions are not bad, asking questions to things you can study your self is ;) )

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
sentra 98 said:
If he knows what he is actually doing, it is a very good price. I have watched idiots do 'experimental' P&Ps for Spec Vs...the results were really sad.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NickZac said:
If he knows what he is actually doing, it is a very good price. I have watched idiots do 'experimental' P&Ps for Spec Vs...the results were really sad.
i have seen and read the site's but i rather here it from some one that can answer my question on how much hp it gives and what happends if i just p&p the intake and not the head. so can any one answer this for me.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
sentra 98 said:
i have seen and read the site's but i rather here it from some one that can answer my question on how much hp it gives and what happends if i just p&p the intake and not the head. so can any one answer this for me.
If you are only going to port and polish the intake manifold don't bother! He is limited as to how far he can reach with the porting tool because of the design of our intake manifold. This means he can really only port it where the TB enters the plenum (which is a waste unless your TB is bored) and where the IM enters the head which is not going to help a whole lot unless you have I/H/E/ and a bored TB. Even then I would guess maybe 1-2 HP if that.

Now if you are talking about a ported and polished head that is a different story. You can gain 5+ Hp from that with good work and more in a turbo application. We covered this in NPM http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/march04/headwork/

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wes said:
If you are only going to port and polish the intake manifold don't bother! He is limited as to how far he can reach with the porting tool because of the design of our intake manifold. This means he can really only port it where the TB enters the plenum (which is a waste unless your TB is bored) and where the IM enters the head which is not going to help a whole lot unless you have I/H/E/ and a bored TB. Even then I would guess maybe 1-2 HP if that.

Now if you are talking about a ported and polished head that is a different story. You can gain 5+ Hp from that with good work and more in a turbo application. We covered this in NPM http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/march04/headwork/
so you dont think i should do just the manifold? but if i do the intake first will it harm my motor in any way? and after i p&p the "head" and intake will i be able to feel the diffrence? what can i expect from my motor?

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
sentra 98 said:
so you dont think i should do just the manifold? but if i do the intake first will it harm my motor in any way? and after i p&p the "head" and intake will i be able to feel the diffrence? what can i expect from my motor?
Did you read my previous thread and the article I attached? It tells you what kind of HP gains came out of the head work. And no I don't think you should do just the manifold, what other mods. do you have anyway?

·
Erin Go Bragh!
168 Posts
Of course, the throttle body would still has to be taken care of, but what about extrude honing for the intake plenum? I thought that was an option.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wes said:
Sure that is an option and I would recommend that in a heart beat, but it is not the cheap port job he was talking about.
the mods i have done to my car are a cai and a header, and a turbo muffler.

·
Registered
258 Posts
well porting the manifold will only give you like maybe 2-4 hp at most without cams/headwork. but its good to start to improve airflow. then after that, do headwork and cams. it has to build up. its better doing things 1 step at a time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tony200 said:
well porting the manifold will only give you like maybe 2-4 hp at most without cams/headwork. but its good to start to improve airflow. then after that, do headwork and cams. it has to build up. its better doing things 1 step at a time.
what type of cams should i get and how much do they cost? what about an ecu how much do those cost? is it worth it? i read about then on that site about that nissan. how much hp does cams give you they said it gives 40 hp.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
OK this is frustrating. I post information that is proven and KNOWN to work/not work. Then someone posts a GUESS that is not backed by dyno results and I think it's what you want to hear so you move on.

Lastly your cam and ECU question is really something that has been covered TONS of times. I mean really. They ONLY person thatmakes cams is JWT and they are also the only person that makes an ECU. Given that you could check their site and or use the phone to call and get FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE of how much these items cost.

You can also see how much power these items make by going to www.sentra.net and reading the tech. section. It has a dyno chart that shows every mod with before and after dyno.s on a GA16DE.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
wes said:
You can also see how much power these items make by going to www.sentra.net and reading the tech. section. It has a dyno chart that shows every mod with before and after dyno.s on a GA16DE.
i told you to read this site sentra 98, it will help A-L-O-T. its not just "a site about a sentra" it is written by mike kojima, he knows all there is to know about the sr and ga engine. read that site beginning to end and beleve EVERYTHING that is wrtten in it. its all true. then go to JWT web site and check the prices for these parts. you have a few options other than the JWT ECU, but it is the most complete deal, and theeasiest for a beginer (no re-wiring.

also, use the search button at the top of the page at the forum index, you will find every answer to every question you have asked so far :cheers:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wes said:
OK this is frustrating. I post information that is proven and KNOWN to work/not work. Then someone posts a GUESS that is not backed by dyno results and I think it's what you want to hear so you move on.

Lastly your cam and ECU question is really something that has been covered TONS of times. I mean really. They ONLY person thatmakes cams is JWT and they are also the only person that makes an ECU. Given that you could check their site and or use the phone to call and get FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE of how much these items cost.

thanks for being so "nice" !!!!!!!!! next time i wont ask

1 - 20 of 22 Posts