Nissan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 sentra wagon with the e16i...when i start my car up in the morning and it's idling, it'll "purr purr pop purr pur pur pop" out the exhaust. If it's confusing i'll explain it better. Is this is misfire? is my timing off? is this normal? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well...it doesn;t look like a lot of people are answering so i guess i'll try to better explain. As i just noticed this happens at every stop when the car is idling regardless if the car is warm or cold. The exhaust will padder padder padder like normal, then it'll get a big rush of air out the back. you can barely feel it from the inside, but you really notice it right next to the tailpipe.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
the car might be running too rich... backfiring when decelarating ??

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crazy-Mart said:
the car might be running too rich... backfiring when decelarating ??
well...the other problem with my car is that i'm getting about 20mpg and right now i'm acually trying to figure out if i have a gas leak or i'm running rich. Backfiring while decelerating sounds like a low gurgle pop when your coming to a stop with the car in gear and your foot off the gas right? If so, no it's not doing that.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
your definately using too much fuel... or loosing it..gaz leek should be easy to figure out, youll have spot on the driveway or something like it... you might have a fuel leak at the injector also ...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crazy-Mart said:
your definately using too much fuel... or loosing it..gaz leek should be easy to figure out, youll have spot on the driveway or something like it... you might have a fuel leak at the injector also ...
you mean the o-ring seal at injector? I think i've read that if it goes bad, you get gas shooting out the top. It looks all fine to me. Still cant figure this out!

If i have a clogged up cat, will i just have less power or will it acually make my car run rich?

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
On the injected models they have a coolant temp sensor replace that and the O2 sensor all at the same time less then 100 dollars I believe for both and relativly easy to replace those two replaced should jump your mpg back up to normal and may stop that backfire. Be sure that you get the coolant temp sensor not sendor. I get around 33-37 mpg in my sport coupe the girl friend gets better milage then me but I drive her meanly. So your wagon should get atleast 30 I would think

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mille-16i said:
On the injected models they have a coolant temp sensor replace that and the O2 sensor all at the same time less then 100 dollars I believe for both and relativly easy to replace those two replaced should jump your mpg back up to normal and may stop that backfire. Be sure that you get the coolant temp sensor not sendor. I get around 33-37 mpg in my sport coupe the girl friend gets better milage then me but I drive her meanly. So your wagon should get atleast 30 I would think
I acually got a code for that (temp. sensor) a few weeks ago so i went to the junkyard and stuck one in my pocket :loser: I installed it in my car and it got rid of the code. Maybe it's sending a faulty reading....is there anyway I can test it with a voltmeter or something?

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
You can test it with an ohm meter it works by changing resistance. I would trow in a set of cheap plugs the 2.00 shucks variety and see if that helps any it won't be that much and may help. I keep a 87 t-bird runnig good with a set of plugs every 5000 or so cause it pukes a lot of oil and crap they faul out and when they do it runs like poop when cold. and normally just cleaning them is not an option they get burned and what not lots of issues with that POS and not worth fixing just drive her till she keels over

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mille-16i said:
You can test it with an ohm meter it works by changing resistance. I would trow in a set of cheap plugs the 2.00 shucks variety and see if that helps any it won't be that much and may help. I keep a 87 t-bird runnig good with a set of plugs every 5000 or so cause it pukes a lot of oil and crap they faul out and when they do it runs like poop when cold. and normally just cleaning them is not an option they get burned and what not lots of issues with that POS and not worth fixing just drive her till she keels over
Thanks a lot....
I'm acually on a roadtrip right now, i'm visiting my brother at college. I drove 6 hours between 70 to 75 mph on the freeway and i got around 31 mpg. I'll test that sensor and throw a cheap set of plugs in.....do you think it could be a faulty ignition coil giving a crappy spark??? I'll give an update in a day or so.

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
if you are pulling 31mpg then the cts is probably fine would think about a new one in the future but not immediate. it is possible that it is a weak coil but unlikely for two reasons
1. You only have one coil for all four plugs so it should show up on all of them making it a real rough run.

2. Normally a coil will fail under heavy load since it takes more power to spark when the engine is under a load.

I would start by doing a tune up that is all filters, oil, spark plugs, plug wires, also test your coil with an ohm meter, do the CTS and O2 sensors that way you know when they were done and a PCV valve, Cap and Rotor that is a bit of stuff but all stuff you can do at home with normal tool except the O2 you will need a special socket but should be able to get one under 10 bucks that should revive it to near new or at least eliminate any easy fixes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mille-16i said:
I would start by doing a tune up that is all filters, oil, spark plugs, plug wires, also test your coil with an ohm meter, do the CTS and O2 sensors that way you know when they were done and a PCV valve, Cap and Rotor that is a bit of stuff but all stuff you can do at home with normal tool except the O2 you will need a special socket but should be able to get one under 10 bucks that should revive it to near new or at least eliminate any easy fixes.
haha...this is stuff i should have mentioned

I've replaced the air filter the pcv filter, the pcv valve, just gave my car an oil change with synth-blend oil, just replaced my o2 sensor a month back, wires, cap, and rotor are all brand new. I've yet to take a look at my plugs....i can't remember if i replaced them with all the other stuff. Thanks!

EDIT: forgot to mention, I also adjusted...and re-adjusted all the valve lashes to make sure they're correct.

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
it is still running rough I would toss in plugs and have the timming adjusted.
Sounds like you did most the tune up items which is always the best place to start.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts