Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '05 Nissan Sentra Special Edition. It comes with four speakers and a 100-watt stereo. When playing a CD, it sounds as if the speakers are inside a bucket: the audio is hollow-sounding.

Now I know that stock head-units aren't very good, but I didn't think they would be this crappy. I do plan to upgrade the audio system in the future, but it'll have to wait a while.

Is the crappy sound due to the speakers or the CD-stereo unit?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, now I'm more confused after reading this.

Is the amp in my head unit 100-watts like Nissan claims or actually only 50-watts (per channel)?

According to these articles, it's probably the lousy amp that is causing the poor sound quality. So I should replace the amp. Can I add an amp if there is already one built into the head unit? Do they both work together or will the old amp be disabled?

Another thing the article mentions is that the OEM head units are really good enough for most of us and that they are the last things that should be replaced.

·
mmmmmm SQ
749 Posts
you can get a line output converter (www.davidnavone.com), it will convert the high level (speaker wires) coming from the head unit into low level (RCA cables) signals to which you can feed an amp.

Honestly, if your not happy with the sound out of your OEM head unit, you will notice a difference in sound quality by upgrading. The only downside is, the upgrade bug will hit you, and before you know it you have sunk 1500 dollars (more for some of us, heh heh) into your stereo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts