Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Sentra GXE and I am not very impressed of its performances.
I noticed a few problems:

1. The noise level inside is high
2. Power steering is not so eficient, you need some muscles to steer the wheel
3.Suspension is in my opinion the worst thing. You fell every small hole in pavement.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 2000 GXE is the exact opposite......I cant even hear the motor running unles I traump on it then you you hear my CAI, after doing autox I was very impressed by its responsivness, and handling capabilities.

·
Administrator
1,075 Posts
Yeah, I agree with 00sentra. My dad has a 2000 GXE and it is much quieter inside than my old car. Rides better and feels more powerful too.

·
Banned
162 Posts
traian971

I for one was pretty impressed with the car, thats why I bought it. Maybe your car has something wrong with it, or maybe your standards are higher then most, I dunno. :p

If your not impressed with it now, what was it about the car that made you buy it? I'm just curious....:cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've always thought the noise level is pretty decent. On the regular road it's very quite. The handling has improved 10 fold after installing a strut bar. Yes, the suspension is rather rough, but for what it is...that's pretty good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No Problems here

The only time I thought the 02 Sentra GXE was noisy is when you floor the gas. The road and engine noise is almost non-exsitant. I do have to agree on the suspension is a bit rough though.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just got mine 2 days ago and it is more quiet inside compare to my 1998 altima. well i guess maybe i got stock muffler and no intake in the GXE yet.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got mines 2 days ago and it kinda feels like my old 93 NX2K and a lot quiter than what I traded in for, 98 B14 GXE.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Kainoa, are you from Guam? Isn't Kainoa a Hawaiian name, but of course you could be half Chamoru and half Hawaiian.

Anyways....

I was really impressed with my 2000 Sentra GXE. Prior to this car I have been driving a 1992 MR2 NA and it's pretty darn too quiet for me. I mean I do like quiet cars, but I play by ear when I clutch/gas my car and with the traffic noise I have to feel for instead which stinks because the gas pedal ain't too smooth and the clutch having short play compared to most Toyota cars. This car is quiet in Idle and Cruising speed, but upon throttling it's extremely loud for something that doesn't equate to it's rate of acceleration.

The steering is too loose compared to a camry, MR2, Intrepid, maybe maybe similiar to a Jeep or a Cadillac. If you think this is hard I bet you haven't driven a Mercedes then.

Suspension is probably the only thing I really hate about this car. I am 26 yrs and I don't drive like a F1 driver anymore. But, what makes been wonder is how could be it so bad in the highway going around 75 mph and give a big headache after two hours of motion sickness in which I have never felt on a fishing boat or whatever.

Keith S. what do you think about my budget suspension setup in which I have put together after rearching at B15sentra.net;

Progress Sport Springs @ $130
2002 SpecV Dampers w/ front upper mounts @ $350
Motivational Rear Uppermounts @ $160
Koni Bumpstops @ $60

Total: $700

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wind noise is horrible

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth. I have a 01 Sentra GXE and have no modifications yet (pulled out the air box for a while and ran around like that). When running the car stock wind noise is unbearable at 50mph with everything turned off (radio, a/c). Once the car gets to about 75mph the music must come on or the wind gets really annoying. Does anybody else have this type of problem? My car was in the shop the first 4 months I had it cuz it leaked and creaked. I thing I got a bad egg.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
don't pull the airbox out man.....you NEED a filter in there. get a CAI.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: Wind noise is horrible

h38rtl355 said:
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth. I have a 01 Sentra GXE and have no modifications yet (pulled out the air box for a while and ran around like that). When running the car stock wind noise is unbearable at 50mph with everything turned off (radio, a/c). Once the car gets to about 75mph the music must come on or the wind gets really annoying. Does anybody else have this type of problem? My car was in the shop the first 4 months I had it cuz it leaked and creaked. I thing I got a bad egg.
Dude when my car was stock it was so quite. Sometimes I couldn't even tell it was on. It was totally quite until I reached about 50, but the noise was not noticable at all. On the freeway my parents used to remark on how quite the ride was. It wouldn't even get loud unit I hit about 80 mph.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I second that remark by e2001gxe mine WAS quite untill i started modding, my wifes XE still tricks me every once in a while and I have to rev it a bit to make sure it's still running.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No gripes about my GXE. I like the engine speed sensitive steering much better than my dad's 1995 Maxima.

My car does have lots of body roll around corners, but it isn't a sports car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I might as well throw in my two cents worth. I have a 2002 GXE and probably the main reason I chose it over a Mazda Protege' 5 or the Toyota Matrix was the extreme low noise level of the car. I also own a 1996 Protege with 135.000 and have not had any problems with it and it was really hard not to buy another Mazda. Anyway I broke down and bought the GXE and am totally satisfied with it. Just rolled over 5,000 mile and changed to Mobil 1 engine oil and Royal Purple transmission oil. Gotta make it last. One more thing on the Mobil 1, I have had it in my Mazda since 5,000 miles and it just keeps going and going and going. No oil consumption, no leaks, nothing.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't really know if this is Sentra bashing or not, but here are my experiences.

I love my Sentra, and the Sentras before as well. I really like the sleek design of the Sentra in general, and the smooth ride. The suspension for everyday driving, in my mind, is great. When punched around a corner or from a stop, wheel hop and body roll take over...they really are pretty bad on this car. Acceleration isn't amazing, or even great. Changing out the stock muffler and a CAI will actually give you pretty noticable changes. On the inside, it's more-or-less quiet. I say you should be hearing your music instead of the car anyways. Let's solve the wheel hop/body roll problems and then work on acceleration. If we can do that, I would really love this car.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wierd

Everybody that I've spoken to that has a 01 Sentra tells me it's the quietest car they own. But I hop into my car and take it onto the freeway and the wind noise starts up at about 50mph and then is deafening at 80. Should I take it in? :D

P.S. The music is great, but the speakers can't handle being turned up any. The door panels start to rattle and the rear deck rattles as well.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HardJalard- from everything that I have heard a strut bar will really help out the body roll on the QG (and if have the time and money you can pretty much get the whole Spec V's suspension, it's very stiff), someone with one please back me up, I know that on the Spec V or SR20 some guy filled the motor mounts with ....damn I drew a blank.....a window selaer and that did of alot for wheel hop. Acceleration if you gotta an Auto like me a torque converter would be a must if stick .............someone help me out....... the QG isnt a spec v torque monster but with full bolt ons the acceleration problem should be non existing.

·