Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LATELY MY MILEAGE IS HALF OF WHAT IT USED TO BE. I AM GETTING ABOUT 20MPG AROUND TOWN. THE USUALY TUNE UP STUFF HAS BEEN DONE FAIRLY RECENTLY. I CHANGED THE O2 SENSOR ABOUT 10,000 MILES AGO, AND ONLY HAVE 134,000 ON THE CAR NOW. I CHECKED THE CODES AND I GET CODE 55 WHICH MEANS EVERYTHING IS OK. SOME GUYS AT THE LOCAL NAPA SAID IT COULD BE A CLOGGED CATALYTIC CONVERTOR SINCE I GET A ROTTEN EGG SMELL SOMETIMES, BUT THEY SAID IT WOULD ALSO HAVE A SEVERE LACK OF POWER. I NEVER HAD ANY POWER TO LACK! OTHER THEN A SLIGHT IDLE FLUCTUATION IN THE MORNING THE CAR RUNS FINE. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE? DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS BEFORE I SPEND 200$ ON A NEW CAT? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

BTW- IT'S AN 89 SENTRA WITH 134,000 MILES ON IT.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Try some fuel injector cleaner, the kind you add to the gas tank. Some people are very against fuel additives, but I used to get around 25mpg with my car and now I get around 35. I figure with a car that old it can't hurt anything to try.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
TURN OFF THE CAPS!!! See how hard it is to read?!?

Anyways, you could unbolt the cat and look inside to see if it is clogged. I also recommend the fuel injector cleaner.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry about the caps being on, my login uses all caps and I forgot to turn them off. Thank you for your help. I am going to pull the cat off this weekend and see if it makes a difference.

thanks again

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If my cat is clogged, do you think my short commute to work has anything to do with why it got clogged? I only drive 5 miles each way to work. Could it be that the cat doesn't get hot enough during that short of a commute? Would a hotter heat range of spark plugs help prevent this in the future? Thanks again.

·
Nissan/Mazda Gumshoe
1,052 Posts
unbolt, really

i dont know about unbolting the cat because mine is welded on, hell besides from the flange bolts that connect to the manifold, everything all the way back is welded. anyway, as far as a cat, u can get a universal one for about 80 bucks at ur local parts store

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
BSHAPLEY said:
I am going to pull the cat off this weekend and see if it makes a difference.

thanks again
Removing the cat is BAD!!! Just look inside and see if it is full of carbon deposits. Please don't drive around without the cat.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, thanks for all of your help. I will replace the plugs and try some injector cleaner this week. If that doesn't do anything, I am going to pull my cat off and take a look at it. It appears to be bolted on with flanges. If that is the problem, I found online that Random technologys sells a high flow cat for around $190. I figure, if I have to spend that much time/trouble replacing it, I am not going to put in a generic cat that might clog up again. It looks like it is going to be a pain, so I don't want to have to touch this thing again. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I would recommend stp complete fuel cleaner, it is the most expensive, but the one that works the best out of the ones I have tried.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts