Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to one of my friends and he has a low 13 second neon. He has spent half as much and hangs with me. He said removing the pollution pump and egr valve will give you added power even thought this is very illegal.
Anybody heard of this and if so, how the hell would you do this!

·
Biru O' Kudasai
1,426 Posts
The removal of the air pump can free up horsepower because the belt no longer has to be turned by the crank pulley. It has always been a cheap way to clean up the emissions by injecting fresh air into the exhaust so the cat can burn the gases easier. More efficient engine control sytems don't need these and it may be one reason we don't have an air pump on our Altimas.
The removal of the EGR system can add more power because the portion of previously burned exhaust gases are not reintroduced into the intake so more "good" air can be fed into the cylinder. The EGR reduces NOx emissions and cools the cylinder temps because with the slight decrease in oxygen-rich air and thus a less violent combustion moment, which isn't such a bad thing in a street hi comp / turbo engine. The horsepower gains he will see might be minimal and a lightweight underdrive crank pulley will have more gains than both of these "mods". A good tuner can work around emissions laws to keep it legal and a fun street driver. Besides he is only in the low 13's I had the Altima there when I fabed my turbo kit for the previous owner in his first pass on the dragstrip with just over 200hp. Think about it this way his car will not handle as well, brake as well, nor will it be as comfortable because he has a NEON... does anybody else remember those stupid "HI" Neon ads in the 90's, enough said.

Troy

·
Smooth...
382 Posts
KA24Tech said:
Think about it this way his car will not handle as well, brake as well, nor will it be as comfortable because he has a NEON... does anybody else remember those stupid "HI" Neon ads in the 90's, enough said.

Troy
Hell ya troy, i hated those. I went through like 50 TV's because everytime one came on, i threw both my shoes at it. Oh, btw, funny Neon joke. Why do they call them Neons?

Because in the crash test, the dummies lost their legs from the knee on down!

·
Biru O' Kudasai
1,426 Posts
I'll bite, why do they call them neons?

Troy

·
Biru O' Kudasai
1,426 Posts
Scary but true.
I didn't look at the bottom of your post...
In my Wayne of Wayne's World voice "I never learned to read!"

Troy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts