Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hhey all! i was just searching around and found this........... if you have ever wanted to polish something up here ya go! i think im going to try it after i sand blast my SE-R wheels, ill be the first with chromy se-r wheels :thumbup:
 

·
Pivot 180
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
Ive always found that stainless polishes up brighter and clearer than aluminium. Its a different kind of shine - ali is sort of cloudy and because its softer gets dull quickly. Stainless, onced polished stays that way for ages!

I have found mothers metal polish an excellent product.
 

·
Whoa...
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
Joel said:
Ive always found that stainless polishes up brighter and clearer than aluminium. Its a different kind of shine - ali is sort of cloudy and because its softer gets dull quickly. Stainless, onced polished stays that way for ages!

I have found mothers metal polish an excellent product.
my bikes frame needs a good polish to to get rid of some oxidation, i may need to get some of that lustre care cause the stuff i have at werk suxors!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Joel said:
Ive always found that stainless polishes up brighter and clearer than aluminium. Its a different kind of shine - ali is sort of cloudy and because its softer gets dull quickly. Stainless, onced polished stays that way for ages!

I have found mothers metal polish an excellent product.
I would have to agree, I have spent countless hours in the garage polishing with my makita polisher and find stainless has a much more brilliant shine. I use a 6 x 3/4" cotton buffing wheel and various metal polishing compounds.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i completly agree, but im going to try one wheel (im sand blasting them any way) and i want to see if its worth doing, you have to admit a nicly polished se-r wheel would look very good, and with my soon to come nx2000 brakes and red calipers behind! wow.
-to do the job i an going to use this as the buffer
-something like this to seal it.
or V

a kit for those how want to try
^i am going to email them and see if i can buy that minus the grider (i have it) gloves, and goggles
 

·
even better the 2nd time
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
tried that stuff (aircraft cleaner), i bought the aresol can
didnt seem to work all that great

is the liquid much better?

im using Bix liquid spray-on stripper right now and it seems to work pretty good
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
would that stripper be better than sand blasting it? because the smoother the surface is when i start polishing the easyer it will be, and im thinking the sand blasting may slitly pit the metal and not make it smooth, which wont alow it to get that mirror finish. i will, however, be blasting the rear of it to get all those years of brake dust build up off. then the final step would be to paint the centre caps chrome....but thats later.
 

·
Whoa...
Joined
·
2,073 Posts
1.6pete said:
would that stripper be better than sand blasting it? because the smoother the surface is when i start polishing the easyer it will be, and im thinking the sand blasting may slitly pit the metal and not make it smooth, which wont alow it to get that mirror finish. i will, however, be blasting the rear of it to get all those years of brake dust build up off. then the final step would be to paint the centre caps chrome....but thats later.
my friend used liquid stripper to strip the outer edge of his bike wheels, took 2 hours to strip, prep anf get to a mirri finish all around.. it really takes everything off well, will taske you longer because you are doing awhoule wheel...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
well i dont need the wheels asap, and i think useing striper instead on blasting it is the way to go. we'll see, then i need to re paint my 14 in. wheels too they look like hell! blah. (i didnt sand them last time i painted them for some stupid reason)
 

·
even better the 2nd time
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
the spray stripper certainly takes a long time

i wish i had access to a sand blasting box
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
1.6pete said:
i completly agree, but im going to try one wheel (im sand blasting them any way) and i want to see if its worth doing, you have to admit a nicly polished se-r wheel would look very good, and with my soon to come nx2000 brakes and red calipers behind! wow.
-to do the job i an going to use this as the buffer
-something like this to seal it.
or V

a kit for those how want to try
^i am going to email them and see if i can buy that minus the grider (i have it) gloves, and goggles
Using that flitz buff ball with a drill is going to take a while.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea.....well i decided against doing it alltogether, im painting them super gloss black with a silver lip. i have have other obligations i need my money for instead of polishing wheels....... (thanks radio ;) )
 

·
Peek-a-boo....
Joined
·
1,717 Posts
I would sand blast em instead of using a stripper, depending on the media you're using. will you be using actual sand, or the plastic pellet media?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
glass beads.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top