Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal..
I washed my engine off about a year ago and couldn't get the car to start afterword's. Come to find out water had seeped into the small hole in the distributor inside where the harness connector connects. disassemble the distributor shook out all the water and it fired up no problem.

Stupidly today i decided to try washing off my motor again in hopes it wouldn't happen this time around. But knowing my crappy luck it did. wouldn't start for about 15 mins but then it did but after moveing it a few feet it died and refused to start anymore. it would spit and sputter all day during starting but would keep cranked. So i removed the distributor and sure enough the same thing happened. shook out all the water put it all back together and got NOTHING not even a sputter.. I've taken the damn thing apart about 8 times outside in the rain since and even flipped over the disk inside in case i possibly installed it backwards. Its getting no spark what so ever now and i keep getting a P0340
CMP Sensor, Detectable & Non-Detectable Circuit

I have no idea why i would be getting a cam sensor code from a distributor issue? but i did read that in some cars if the cam sensor malf. that it will not allow the car to achieve spark?

Please help me! This is my only ride to work! =[

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok well i just found this off of another site.. and well i did spray wd40 in the roter screw hole because it was stuck on the shaft.. and it was kinda all over the disk and kinda in the reader? maybe if i cleaned if off with some spray it would work? idk ill try it tomorrow i guess but in the meantime any help would be great! Thanks

Unless Nissan has changed their design drastically from the 1999 Sentras,
the CamPS is an integral part of the distributor. On the 1999, the
distributor is driven directly by the camshaft. I had to replace mine with
a new one because of two problems:

The distributor timing is an electronic sensor of the rotor position via a
metal disk with many small slots and a photosensor. In mine, the seal
between the distributor shaft was worned out, allowing oil from the cam
area to seep through and coated this disk, thus making it unable to send
correct rotor position. The engine started to misfire and eventually it
wouldn't run at all. If you let the oil to drip down for an hour or so,
the engine would start up again, but in about 10-15 minutes, the same
problem will return. Cleaning this disk with a carb cleaner would make it
work and run for many more miles until the oil started to do the same
thing. Sometimes after that I started to get code for bad CamPS. Bought a
NEW and complete distributor from eBay for $150. That did the trick.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok well i took it all apart again and cleaned everything to a tee
still NOTHING... i don't understand what the deal is? im still getting a cam sensor code every time i try to turn it over.. i guess the photo sensor is shot? idk
there's no spark or anything so i give up.. getting another distributor tomorrow from a salvage yard for 85$... lets hope it works this time and i wont be so idiotic as to spray water on it anymore =/

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
Well you seem to have to nailed.

If you haven't downloaded the FSM you should.

This is from the EC section...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok kool thanks... Well i went to a salvage yard a got a pretty great condition distributor for 133 bux that's including tax and everything.. which wasn't to bad.. i decided to stop my the auto parts place and pick up a new rotter button just to be on the safe side..i was planing on using my existing cap because it is pretty new.. Got home and put everything on.. it took a while but i guess it just was flooded because i had to pump the gas kinda quick wile starting and it finally kicked over XD thank god! lol.. the only thing is im kinda anal about my car and the cap has some stress cracks around the 3 bolt holes from takeing it on and off so many times but it should be ok because it does have aluminum sleeves inside the plastic.which i may end up replacing sometime. but im just happy its finally running!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts