Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I prefer Champion but will consider others. What are the best plugs for a 1998 6cyl? BEst gap?

Wires? I have used the brand Champion makes with success in the past, should those be ok?

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. am not sure about a tool that came with the vehicle though. I don't recall any special tools that came with it. #6 sure looks like a pain to get to for sure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Look under the rear seat, right near the jack you'll find the tools. They are a part of the same tools you would use to jack up the car (at least one of them). The tools should also be mentioned in the owners manual.

-dan

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Thanks for the info. am not sure about a tool that came with the vehicle though. I don't recall any special tools that came with it. #6 sure looks like a pain to get to for sure.
After you've loosened the plug, use compressed air and blow around the spark plug. Do it one at a time as the sand blows everywhere. A fresh can of compressed air will work also.

Last thing you need is sand and dust getting inside the combustion chamber.

With #6, if you don't have the OEM tool, use a long extension and universal socket joint. A shorty extension may be needed, I can't remember if I needed it or not when I did mine.

Universal socket may not be neccessary, but it's nice to have flexiblity when it's that far back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pathfinder tool

You'll find the tool in the owners and shop manual under the area for general maintenance, changing spark plugs. At least I can find it in mine.

Directly from the shop manual:

This tool is much better than anything you can purchase--especially since the spark plug socket won't get stuck in the engine with the spark plug!

If you do not have the tool I recommend trying to buy it from the Nissan dealer.

-dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts