Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed 5 of my six plugs and it really helped my truck run alot better. My question is, The plug I didn't get two is located behind the motor and looks imposiable to reach with out taking off the air collector, and disconecting several other things. I was thinking there must be a trick to it becuase I would think this would be a bad desighn beeing that alot of people like to change there plugs a couple times a year and doing this every time would be rediculous.

Its a 1991 pathfinder se 4x4 just wondering if any of you have a similar truck and how you go about changing that plug, thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I changed 5 of my six plugs and it really helped my truck run alot better. My question is, The plug I didn't get two is located behind the motor and looks imposiable to reach with out taking off the air collector, and disconecting several other things. I was thinking there must be a trick to it becuase I would think this would be a bad desighn beeing that alot of people like to change there plugs a couple times a year and doing this every time would be rediculous.

Its a 1991 pathfinder se 4x4 just wondering if any of you have a similar truck and how you go about changing that plug, thanks for your help
simple, either use the equipment that came with the Pathfinder, or pick up a 10" extension bar with a universal joint.

use the socket and extension together and use finger feel till it locks. From there, attach ratchet and take it off. After several turns, use a screwdriver and loosen all the sand around the base of the plug, get canned air and blow the junk out.

You may need a slightly longer extension, but best to get a 2" extension, just in case.

·
Registered
75 Posts
ive got a 92

i used a 10" extension and 2 u joints lol

took a while, but got it done

trickiest thing was getting a new plug in without cross threading it

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was thinking there must be a trick to it becuase I would think this would be a bad desighn beeing that alot of people like to change there plugs a couple times a year and doing this every time would be rediculous.
Say what? The plugs on the Pathfinder last 100,000 miles and cost me $60 for six. Perhaps anal-retentive people might change them twice a year, but the vast, vast majority of people will only change them every 4+ years.

·
Registered
75 Posts
No, it's not tricky, use your fingers to thread the plug in till it stops. Then, tighten with ratchet.
when your spark plug valleys are clean they are

i dont have a compressor so i never got a chance to spray some air once i removed the plug boots

combination of PB blaster + crud = feels like there is sand in there when you are threading the new plug in

i had to use a thread chaser on 3 cylinders just to get the plug in

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Say what? The plugs on the Pathfinder last 100,000 miles and cost me $60 for six. Perhaps anal-retentive people might change them twice a year, but the vast, vast majority of people will only change them every 4+ years

My bad maybe not a couple times a year just saying it should be a routine thing. I used 3 of my extensions hooked together for the others didnt have one long one only 2 small ones and a medium one but it worked great. I'll try again today since I gues there is no trick its just really hard to reach. I will try putting on the socket and extension on the plug then the rachet thanks for the advice that has worked in the past in tight spots. Sure is a pain in the ass being right next to the fire wall like that..... oh well

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do you have the special tools provided.Mine were in the tool bag under the back seat along with the tire iron.One long socket and one shorter one.They worked just fine for me.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
when your spark plug valleys are clean they are

i dont have a compressor so i never got a chance to spray some air once i removed the plug boots

combination of PB blaster + crud = feels like there is sand in there when you are threading the new plug in

i had to use a thread chaser on 3 cylinders just to get the plug in
Don't need a compressor, canned air from a computer store or any place that sells electronics.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have the special tools provided.Mine were in the tool bag under the back seat along with the tire iron.One long socket and one shorter one.They worked just fine for me.

No the vehicle was used and didn't come with much besides a spare tire (missing some lugnuts and smaller then other tires) and a serous need for a oil change. Over all I feel ok with the truck though It cost 1650 and has a100k miles and is relitivly clean. I was however annoyed that insurance is more for 4x4's what the heck is that about wouldn't that make it safer in snowy conditions and have no effect what so ever in good conditions. Stupid insurance companies.

·
Registered
75 Posts
No the vehicle was used and didn't come with much besides a spare tire (missing some lugnuts and smaller then other tires) and a serous need for a oil change. Over all I feel ok with the truck though It cost 1650 and has a100k miles and is relitivly clean. I was however annoyed that insurance is more for 4x4's what the heck is that about wouldn't that make it safer in snowy conditions and have no effect what so ever in good conditions. Stupid insurance companies.
not exactly. once people strap into a 4x4 SUV they feel they are invincible and continue driving 60 mph on roads where they should be going 30 tops.

Ive seen it a million times and each time it snows, i shake my head at these people.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I gues you have a point there, especially when it comes to pulling out in to traffic. I drive bigger trucks at my work and consider my truck small plus I hate dents. Also you are right some people think having 4 wheel drive is a magical ice repelant even if they don't know how to turn it on. Sounds dumb but I know 2 people who have asked me when it snowed here witch it hasnt in years besides this year how to turn theres on, including my boss who has a f250 and is alot like the people I think your talking about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts