Nissan Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

· FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,600 Posts
That is really nice man!!!!!! Did you paint it the same color code as the car or did you just find something close that matched? That came out really really nice.........I might have to copy you and repaint mine, put it back on....so much for filling the screw holes.

1,600 Posts
When you used the 2000 grit, did you wet sand or dry sand it? If you get bored you should get a dremel and start buffing....that would look awesome!

· Vanilla Ice all the way baby!
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
actaully even though i had dads approval, he has no clue i did it yet, hes on a business trip right now (house to myself! i love his durango!!, party this friday!! lol) and i don't think you can tell but the ENTIRE cover has been painted, top, bottom, and all sides

the second picture was taken right after baking the cover (i baked it after every coat of paint, normal home oven, temp set to 250 for 5 mintues), thats the color i was planning on painting it...but it turned out to dark and i didn't like it, but it was a high-temp paint, so i used it as a primer instead, i was looking around my garage and i found a little can of touch-up paint, its an exact match to the body paint.

i hope it looks really really nice considering i spent 3 days sanding it, i started with heavy grit emery cloth, made for sanding metal, then went to medium, then to fine, probably bout 20 times to get all the factory mill lines off, then i got the wet-paper started at 600 -> 1000 -> 1200 -> 1500 -> 2000, all wet, i actaully let the paper soak for 15 mintues prior to sanding it, then i kept the cover wet also, i did that proabably 4 times, and sadly theres still some imperfections on the back that i will work on later but for now it looks good, i'm picking up some metal polish today, and will get pics of that up soon

1,600 Posts
Yeah it is, isnt it? Im totally going to copy that- It looks really really good! Im wondering why he baked the paint though- he didnt say he used powder coat...just regular paint----I suppose so he could get the project completed quicker.

2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
0341TODD said:
Yeah it is, isnt it? Im totally going to copy that- It looks really really good! Im wondering why he baked the paint though- he didnt say he used powder coat...just regular paint----I suppose so he could get the project completed quicker.
YUP!! when ur painting something at 12am and its 40 degrees outside it doesn't want to dry, so i used a hair dryer inbetween coats, then i baked it to dry it up nice and get it totally dry before i sanded it. i'm a perfectionist, and i plan on doing this type of stuff for a living so i figure i'd see what i could do, i wanted as professional looking results as possble, i even made a faux paint both (cardboard box with a hole in the top, sprayed inside the box, closed the lid let the particles settle a big then inserted the dryer in the hole and moved it around slowly making sure to get all the fumes out before turning up the heat, got the paint sticky and then applyed a second coat, i had absolutly no dripping with the method, paint come out perfect

the cover being baked -

the paint booth -

· Power FC Z32
2,318 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
YUP!! when ur painting something at 12am and its 40 degrees outside it doesn't want to dry, so i used a hair dryer inbetween coats, then i baked it to dry it up nice and get it totally dry before i sanded it. i'm a perfectionist, and i plan on doing this type of stuff for a living so i figure i'd see what i could do, i wanted as professional looking results as possble, i even made a faux paint both (cardboard box with a hole in the top, sprayed inside the box, closed the lid let the particles settle a big then inserted the dryer in the hole and moved it around slowly making sure to get all the fumes out before turning up the heat, got the paint sticky and then applyed a second coat, i had absolutly no dripping with the method, paint come out perfect

the cover being baked -

the paint booth -
I read somewhere it's not safe to use a home oven to bake in the paint. It is suppose to contaminate your food. Please clean out your oven thoroughly or you might make your family members sick over time. :(

2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
ALMOST DONE!!!!!!

:jump: :waving:

so i got my cover back from the plating shop (no i didn't get it plated), i just had them do whatever had to be done to make it a mirror (since i was having a hard time getting the finish i wanted), but yes i got it back, i need to repaint it but heres some pics

· Banned
5,533 Posts
What type of paint did you end up using? Color, brand etc.. Wanna make a write up? I'd like to do it to mine.

2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
What type of paint did you end up using? Color, brand etc.. Wanna make a write up? I'd like to do it to mine.
a write up for how i did mine?, are u changing ur mind bout yours?

anyways as youcan see in the first two pictures, when they buffed it it burned off the newer paint, u can see the stock red, ok theres 3 different paints on there, theres the stock paint (ewww), then theres like 2-3 layers of Dupli-Color Engine Enamel (Chrysler Corp. Blue - DE1631, its not an exact match to the body paint but i used it as a protective layer between the cover and the final paint) , and then 2-3 layers of Dupli Color Import Auto Spray (88-00537 Blue Mist, its an exact match), and the metal i will but polishing with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish.

I'll make a full write up of what i did in a day or so, i still need to finish it

2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
GAH!!! so i repainted it and becuase when it was buffed some of the paint was stripped it looks layered now, so i'm gonna ahve them strip the entire thing and rebuff it then i'll repaint it again!!, i'll lose the cool texture but oh well it will look sick

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.