Nissan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

· Banned
5,869 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
ok i'm lost but whatever, so we got eric and i still don't know asleep's name
Jake. Last time I checked anyway. ;)

And high temp paint isn't really necessary. It should really never get past 350 degrees in the engine compartment, unless something is very wrong. That being said, Hi-Temp paint comes in a lot of colors, I don't think you'll have too many problems making choices.

· Vanilla Ice all the way baby!
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Jake. Last time I checked anyway. ;)

And high temp paint isn't really necessary. It should really never get past 350 degrees in the engine compartment, unless something is very wrong. That being said, Hi-Temp paint comes in a lot of colors, I don't think you'll have too many problems making choices.
ok cool thanks, i'd prefer to use high-temp jsut to be on the safe side, and did u use a spray paint or brush application?

· Banned
5,869 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
ok cool thanks, i'd prefer to use high-temp jsut to be on the safe side, and did u use a spray paint or brush application?
Well maybe you could get away with using brush. I used spray and sanded off the over spray.. Though I'm not sure what high-temp paint comes in a brush application.... It's all spray that I'm aware of.

· Z31 know-it-all
1,045 Posts
To answer the questions from earlier, 600 grit will still not be smooth. Your cover will look like brushed aluminum. To really get it polished, you have to get really fine and end up using a metal polish at the end.

2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
AZ-ZBum said:
To answer the questions from earlier, 600 grit will still not be smooth. Your cover will look like brushed aluminum. To really get it polished, you have to get really fine and end up using a metal polish at the end.
ME said:
i'm gonna dry sand to 1000grit, see how that looks and if its good put some aluminum polish on it, otherwise i'm wet sanding starting at 300grit going to 1000grit, then polishing
already knew i would need higher grit, but thank you for the advice

2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
ok so i put down a layer of high-temp paint, light blue, turned out really really dark, so i found some factory spec matching paint, code 426, mm same color as my car, so far it looks sick, i'll have pics up in a few hours when i'm done, the cover is baking right now

· Banned
5,869 Posts
I'm wondering about the valve covers now, myself. Seems like kind of an odd rough surface, I wonder if they are cast like that or if the surface can be removed. I'd like to paint the valve covers the same color as the plenum cover.

Wow what ricers we have become... :rolleyes: Is this what the Honda guys do with their spare time ?

· FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,600 Posts
So I must be slowly rubbing off on you then LOL
The valve covers have a coating on them, Mine came right off, MarcZ31 did the same to his valve covers, you can see in the pictures he posted. (he has also got two crankcase ventilation ports, one on each valve cover? wierd?) Since Im going to have the car apart for awhile and I will be waiting on parts, I was going to high polish the valve covers , water pump ( really rice I know, but I saw it done on an fc3s and it looked really cool) and the upper plenum, I was going to fill in the screw holes and then polish it. I will post pics when I have it done, but I think itll look alright.

2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I"M DONE!!!!

ok so after working on this for 3 days, yes i spent 3 days on this, i resanded it atleast 6 times and applyied god knows how many coats of paint here it is!!!!

the starting project

the unoffical primer

the finished product (2000 grit)

installed

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.