Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Vanilla Ice all the way baby!
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok i was wondering what i could use to clean the plenum cover, its all discolored and grimmy, i got most of the gunk off with orange clean wipes, but its still dis-colored (kinda yellowish), i want to try and make it shine more, i'll eventually get it sandblasted and repainted, to match the exterior color, but for now i want it to look nicer, anyone have any suggestions or experience?

before first try at cleaning it

after first try

the only problems are the ends and on the number, and back on the nissan

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
I sandblasted mine;) And inverse painted it.

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm not going to inverse paint mine, jsut change the paint color, but that won't be for a few months, for now i just wanna make the metal shine, wat could i use to get the stains off and make the metal shine, and is the cover made of aluminum?

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
I think it's aluminum, yes. You could lightly sand it with some 300 grit, that should pull the garbage off it, and even polish it up a bit.

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Zen31ZR said:
I think it's aluminum, yes. You could lightly sand it with some 300 grit, that should pull the garbage off it, and even polish it up a bit.
is there any protective finish on it?? cuz theres some area by the nissan that i can see the bare metal, and other parts look like they have a coating of somekind, i don't want to expose the bare metal, unless i can polish that up easier then under uts current condition.

Should i move up from 300 after awhile, like slowly get towards 600 grit, and should do a wetsand?

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
is there any protective finish on it?? cuz theres some area by the nissan that i can see the bare metal, and other parts look like they have a coating of somekind, i don't want to expose the bare metal, unless i can polish that up easier then under uts current condition.

Should i move up from 300 after awhile, like slowly get towards 600 grit, and should do a wetsand?
I just used 300 on mine. If it is true aluminum, it won't rust, so you should have no problems. I'll post pics of mine later on. it cleaned up quite nicely with 300 grit.

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Zen31ZR said:
I just used 300 on mine. If it is true aluminum, it won't rust, so you should have no problems. I'll post pics of mine later on. it cleaned up quite nicely with 300 grit.
ok thanks [email protected], should i wet sand? or does it not matter?, i was really bored lest night and just took the thing of and rinsed if off and rub it down with orange clean and a scrub sponge :thumbup:

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
ok thanks [email protected], should i wet sand? or does it not matter?, i was really bored lest night and just took the thing of and rinsed if off and rub it down with orange clean and a scrub sponge :thumbup:
I dry sanded mine. 300s fine enough to get the garbage off but not to leave streaks, 600 should almost give it a mirror finish. Try it out. :thumbup:

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Zen31ZR said:
I dry sanded mine. 300s fine enough to get the garbage off but not to leave streaks, 600 should almost give it a mirror finish. Try it out. :thumbup:
ok cool, (stupid question alert) home depot sells 300 and 600 right?, maybe i should go to the junk yard and the one off my cars lil brother (87 same color, same trim)

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
ok cool, (stupid question alert) home depot sells 300 and 600 right?, maybe i should go to the junk yard and the one off my cars lil brother (87 same color, same trim)
Yeah Home Depot should have what you need. As far as the cover goes, I like mine 'cause it says:

Attachments

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Zen31ZR said:
Yeah Home Depot should have what you need. As far as the cover goes, I like mine 'cause it says:
:thumbup: lucky, since the car meet on sunday i've been having boost cravings :) , ok so there will be no ill side affects to sanding it? my dad wants me to get the one off the junker before touching the one we have now. do i need to?

you only used 300 and got that shine??? damn can't wait to see mine with 600 i'll show u pics when i'm done, eventually i'm having the red sandblasted then painted to match the exterior

edit: did u handsand or did u use a sanding device, like a palm sander or circular sander?

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
:thumbup: lucky, since the car meet on sunday i've been having boost cravings :) , ok so there will be no ill side affects to sanding it? my dad wants me to get the one off the junker before touching the one we have now. do i need to?

you only used 300 and got that shine??? damn can't wait to see mine with 600 i'll show u pics when i'm done, eventually i'm having the red sandblasted then painted to match the exterior

edit: did u handsand or did u use a sanding device, like a palm sander or circular sander?
Noop, that was hand sanding and I didn't spend much time on it either. Do the junker one if you want, you'll get the same results. :thumbup:

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
AZ-ZBum said:
ok thanks for that link i won't be working on the rims until i can get an extra one from my cars lil brother, to find out what works best.

do you think that 600 might be overkill? after reading thumpers guide to doing the rims, i have an urge to take the plenum cover up to 1000 grit or higher, for a show quality shine? am i just being a newb? or do you think i should just because i can?, i wanna make this car as beautiful as i can, maybe eventually stop driving it and make it a show car under the restoration category. but for now i want to get that engine looking purty

edit: i think i'll use his technique on the cover and see how shiny i can get that thing, making the home depot and napa runs after work

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
ok thanks for that link i won't be working on the rims until i can get an extra one from my cars lil brother, to find out what works best.

do you think that 600 might be overkill? after reading thumpers guide to doing the rims, i have an urge to take the plenum cover up to 1000 grit or higher, for a show quality shine? am i just being a newb? or do you think i should just because i can?, i wanna make this car as beautiful as i can, maybe eventually stop driving it and make it a show car under the restoration category. but for now i want to get that engine looking purty

edit: i think i'll use his technique on the cover and see how shiny i can get that thing, making the home depot and napa runs after work
Hey do whatcha want man, it's your car. :thumbup: I'd like to see it after it's done.

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Hey do whatcha want man, it's your car. :thumbup: I'd like to see it after it's done.
ok yeah i jsut realized my gf has my debit card :dumbass: , darn it, i'll get it back today, hopefully i still have money.

[email protected] did use ur hand or did you put the sand paper onto something? (and whats your name i don't wanna keep calling you [email protected])

i'm gonna dry sand to 1000grit, see how that looks and if its good put some aluminum polish on it, otherwise i'm wet sanding starting at 300grit going to 1000grit, then polishing

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
ok yeah i jsut realized my gf has my debit card :dumbass: , darn it, i'll get it back today, hopefully i still have money.

[email protected] did use ur hand or did you put the sand paper onto something? (and whats your name i don't wanna keep calling you [email protected])

i'm gonna dry sand to 1000grit, see how that looks and if its good put some aluminum polish on it, otherwise i'm wet sanding starting at 300grit going to 1000grit, then polishing
I hand sanded, but then again I'm a back to basics kinda guy. I rarely even use power tools....... :rolleyes: My middle name is Eric, that's what I let everyone call me. :cool:

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
I hand sanded, but then again I'm a back to basics kinda guy. I rarely even use power tools....... :rolleyes: My middle name is Eric, that's what I let everyone call me. :cool:
lol ok thanks eric. i'll get pics up when i'm done, prolly later tonight after i drive the 20 miles to my gf's jsut to get my debit card then drive the 20 miles back in traffic (oh joy)

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Call him "Willy";)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts