Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im new to the forums and have some issues I need help on.

1) I have a 2001 Pathfinder that is supposedly a XE, however it is a manual trans and Ive been told that this was only available on the SE. I dont have any other options like the sound system that come on the SE. Is my Pathy some kind of wierd one-off?

2) I got a P0171 code, and Im pretty sure my MAF is gone. Consequently this is only a couple of months after I installed a K&N filter. Anyone else have this prob. Should I change back to a paper filter?

3) Im losing oil! My Pathy only had 108,000 Km on it when I bought it last year. Now it has 125,000. I have been losing oil since day one. And alot of it. My next service is @ 128,000 km and the oil is painfully low. No wierd smoke to speak of. I have been using 5W30, and have never overheated or got an oil pressure warning. The first time I recognized this was about 3 months after I bought her, there was a bad rattle noise. So, I check the oil and its almost gone. Panic!

4) There is a rattling somewhere under my hood. It is really prevelent when my rpms are a little low for the gear Im in. Is this possibly a heat sheild for the manifold?

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appriciated as I have a cross Canada trip ahead of me in July!

·
3,553 Posts
1. Options are usually not trim-level specific from what I've seen. If you have an XE with manual trans, then that's what you have. :)

2. Bad MAF sensors are a common problem on 01-04's. They are cheaply made and break after a while for lots of people. Here is an article describing a cheap way to fix it without breaking your wallet. Cheap 01+ MAF sensor problem fix! - Nissan Pathfinder Off-Road Association

3. One of the valve covers on your engine has a poorly designed baffle plate and is allowing the engine to consume oil backwards through the PCV system. This is a Nissan-recognized problem and can be solved by installing a replacement valve cover with revised baffle design that prevents oil from coming back into the engine through the PCV system. Once again, common problem.

4. Probably, yes. Try having someone else rev it to produce the noise and try to pinpoint it under the hood if you can. A quick bolt turn or bend of some sheetmetal often fixes the rattle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts