Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone i joined this site to help my little sister(she has a '91 sentra, gxe) her car is actin up and i thought this would be the best place to get answers! the problem: from the inside of the car (at about 40mph and up you can hear a "ticking" noise but not like ticking valves) but she drove me in the car yesterday(it seems to run fine just makes the noise) well i got out of the car and popped the hood(to look around) and i heard the noise(it was louder in the engine bay of course) but the noise sounded like it's coming from the exhaust manifold. when i listened for a bit it sounded more like "rain drops" (in the exhaust manifold) and keep in mind at this point the car is turned off and still makin the noise(for a good 10 minutes) i dont know much about nissans(i just need to help my sister) so i took off the heat shield and i noticed fresh oil on top of the e. manifold i checked for oil in the spark plug cylinder none of them had oil in them....... so can anyone please point me in the right direction to get this prob fixed??????? thanks for any help----steve

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
Probably a leaking valve cover gasket. Pretty easy fix. Look around the valve cover area and try to find out where it's leaking from.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
the ticking, does it increase/ decrease is speed with RPM's? or just a steady "tick/tick/tick". also, is more of a "tick/hiss/tick/hiss"

check around the valve cover as already said, look for any leaks at all, the ticks may be oil droping on the very hot manifold and then drying off. place a drop of water on a cool pan and it makes no noise, heat that pan up and a drop of water makes ALOT of noise for its size.

·
Registered
217 Posts
mine does the ticking, but it's not as noticeable.

I also have a 5-speed that has a bad bearing somewhere that makes a constant "rattle" like a heat shield rattle. but it only rattles when accelerating. annoying as all hell.

Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help people...... but the noise doesnt sound like a hiss like i said it sounds like "rain drops" in/around exhaust manifold the thing that really worries me is that it continued when the car was off (it lasted for a good 10 min) but there is no oil in the cylinders the plugs look like a grey/white i have no idea what could/would cause this. any one with any ideas please chime in, thanks--steve

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
are you sure there was oil on the manifold? i would think that would burn off quick, fast, and in a hurry on a hot manifold. also you would reallllly be able to smell it. when i cleaned my engine i used wd40 to penitrate some of the dirt and i got a bit of over spray on the manifold. it burned off and i could smell it 1 minute after i started the car. as for ticking, i have heard ticking on many cars......hell, go to a parking lot on a warm day and walk around your bound to hear a few cars ticking after they have been shut off. idk what it is but im sure it has to do with the engine cooling off. any more details you could give would be great.

·
absolutely classic
455 Posts
morethanasentra said:
thanks for the help people...... but the noise doesnt sound like a hiss like i said it sounds like "rain drops" in/around exhaust manifold the thing that really worries me is that it continued when the car was off (it lasted for a good 10 min) but there is no oil in the cylinders the plugs look like a grey/white i have no idea what could/would cause this. any one with any ideas please chime in, thanks--steve
Like Pete1.6 said, the exhaust will "tick" after the car is shut off. This is normal. I believe it has to do with the parts contracting quickly in cooler air.

You did say you saw oil on the exhaust manifold. Pictures would do wonders, if you have them. Or at least a better description of where the oil is falling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help guys, i will get pics as soon as i can! but as far as the oil yes it is sitting on the exhaust manifold (but there isnt a smell/odor, which is strange cuz of the lack of smell) did i mention that the car makes the noise when driving as well, oh and it is a 5-speed---thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts