Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Been having some problems with a truck I recently purchased. After doing a search on the forum for the problem I have, it pointed to the MAF sensor. Well, I tried pulling the sensor today and cleaned it with no luck. Afterward, I did some more searching and figured out how to read the codes.

Upon checking the codes I pulled up a

The truck will only rev to 3K rpms and acts like it is hitting a rev limiter. I want to go ahead and replace the MAF sensor since the symptoms are pointing in that direction, but at $250 I would prefer to know for sure that it is the problem. :D

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Hardbody Freak
2,675 Posts
you must not have read all the way thru it..read it all again..

so forget the 23 and 24 for the moment and replace the coolant sensor.

and restart engine check for performance and reread the codes.

leave the maf alone..

report back when finished..

end line..

·
Registered
75 Posts
13 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor.
23 Idle Switch.
24 Throttle Valve Switch.

·
3,553 Posts
Yeah, sometimes the CTS will trigger several codes due to it running wrong because the temp switch is faulty. I'd try that first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you must not have read all the way thru it..read it all again..

so forget the 23 and 24 for the moment and replace the coolant sensor.

and restart engine check for performance and reread the codes.

leave the maf alone..

report back when finished..

end line..
Well, the problem I am having is that the instructions state that I should be able to turn the key to the on position then switch the ECU switch to the diagnostics position, wait till the LED's blink 3 times, then turn the switch off and that will put it into the 3rd mode which is self diagnosis. The problem is, as soon as I switch the diagnostics switch to the on position, the LED's start blinking the codes immediately.

The other thin is I have consulted the manual and also read the instructions on the board here for reading codes and it says I should have a ECU with a dial for the diagnostics switch, but I do not. I have just a normal on/off switch. I am not sure if that was something they did earlier on or not.

·
3,553 Posts
Sorry...when I wrote that I should have modified it a little...

How to pull ECU error codes for 87-95 Pathfinders and hardbody pickups:

The ECU is under your passenger's side seat. You can gain access to it by simply sliding the seat all the way forward and removing the plastic cover from the ECU. You can also remove the seat if you want, it makes access a little easier.

The VG30i ECU's have a tiny toggle switch on the side of the ECU with a small snap-in switch cover that must be utilized to select the diagnostic mode of the ECU. The 4-cylinder ECU and the VG30E ECU has a slotted switch that turns 1/4 or 1/2 turn clockwise and counterclockwise to do the same task.
I should have stated: some early 4-cyl HB ECU's have the switch as well. In any case it will have one or the other. I've added the info to the thread now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I tried replacing the coolant sensor. It got rid of the 13 code. Now I still have the codes 23, 24 and a code 43 has popped up. The 43 was there once before, but seemed to be intermittent. Now, it is totally back. LOL

·
Registered
75 Posts
code 43 is the tps (throttle position sensor) it is located on the throttle body on the opposite side of the butterfly valve i believe

·
Registered
430 Posts
might need another throttle body. sensors can be replaced but.. yeah.. anyone got that?

you said you cleaned the MAF... how? you clean the TPS?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
does the problem remain??

take a look at the tps .
is it loose? check it's connection and clean the connection .
the reread the codes..

do not worry yet about the 23 and 24..
yeh, the problem is still there. It appears to go into limp mode or something and will not rev over about 2700 RPM and the exhaust smells very rich.

as for the MAF sensor, I cleaned it with a cotton swab and alcohol like I read here in the forums

·
3,553 Posts
The ECU will prevent the engine from revving higher than 2750 RPM's if either the MAF or the TPS is not functioning properly.

Have you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and then rechecked the codes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had it disconnected when I installed the battery, but have not disconnected it since replacing the water temp sensor.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The ECU will prevent the engine from revving higher than 2750 RPM's if either the MAF or the TPS is not functioning properly.

Have you reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and then rechecked the codes?
your car's in Safe Mode...
your Nissan has a Safe Mode just like any computer.

it needs to be reset, with like Rogo said.. a funtioning TPS or MAF.... or CPS.

sure there's some other sensors that can cause a car to do this too. but basically since there's no tuning in the part of the engine via the *detached or broken* sensor.. the computer does not allow you to go above 2700rpms mainly so you don't destroy the engine.

i get that right? ecu just needs to be reset after you replace the part... right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, I have tried disconnecting the battery. I left it like that for 2-3 days. Upon reconnecting it, I fired the truck up and It ran OK for a couple minutes then went back to the rough idle and not revving over 2700 RPM. Checked codes again and pulled the 43 code, TPS and the 23 and 24 code. The Engine Coolant Temp sensor code is gone for now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts