Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my car has had a lot of trouble getting into drive. I have a 1989 240. It takes about 3 to 4 minutes for it to get going and it will usually be ok if i drive it anytime within the hour after that before it starts repeating the problem. It also skips second gear and goes straight into 3rd. Unfortunetly one of the only transmission shops in town is aamco which has a reputation for ripping people off. I took it there and at first they said it was probably just a pump or converter problem. Then when i came back they told me i would need a whole new transmission and that the cost would be $1800. Are there any other reasons my car would be doing this? Is it mostly probable that i need a new transmission and if so is that a good price?

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
Orbital199 said:
Recently my car has had a lot of trouble getting into drive. I have a 1989 240. It takes about 3 to 4 minutes for it to get going and it will usually be ok if i drive it anytime within the hour after that before it starts repeating the problem. It also skips second gear and goes straight into 3rd. Unfortunetly one of the only transmission shops in town is aamco which has a reputation for ripping people off. I took it there and at first they said it was probably just a pump or converter problem. Then when i came back they told me i would need a whole new transmission and that the cost would be $1800. Are there any other reasons my car would be doing this? Is it mostly probable that i need a new transmission and if so is that a good price?
Although I know nothing about auto tranny problems, $1800 is a fucking ripoff. You could do it yourself for $300. There are many people who are dumping 240 auto trannies in lieu of manual conversions. Check on EBay.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,105 Posts
Orbital199 said:
It takes about 3 to 4 minutes for it to get going and it will usually be ok if i drive it anytime within the hour after that before it starts repeating the problem. It also skips second gear and goes straight into 3rd.
Check the ATF level; you may be very low on fluid. When you check the ATF level, smell the fluid; if it has a burnt smell, then the bands/clutch packs experienced excessive wear; the tranny needs to be rebuilt.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
rogoman said:
Check the ATF level; you may be very low on fluid. When you check the ATF level, smell the fluid; if it has a burnt smell, then the bands/clutch packs experienced excessive wear; the tranny needs to be rebuilt.
He mentioned the torque converter... Well, I think it'd probably be cheaper to replace the whole transmission than to rebuild it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know if this has anything to do with it. I know its not fixing the problem but when the weather warms up outside it doesnt have as much of a problem getting into gear as it does when its cold. Does that signify anything? I love my car and i really dont want to get rid of it. Its an 89 and has a bit over 157,000 miles on it. Ive replaced a power steering rack and fixed an oil leak in it. Aside from that it really hasnt given me any problems. But do you think its worth it to keep it around? Its a beautiful car and i really couldnt see myself driving anything else.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The way I see it with it being cold and warm out is... If it's warmer out the fulid isn't quite as thick and it is easier to flow around, if it's colder the fluid gets a little bit thicker and doesn't flow as easily, thus if your tranny fluid is low it could be your problem, just remember the k.i.s.s. theory, keep it simple stupid. Don't go replacing/rebuilding the tranny w/out checking the simple things first. Also, 1800 really is a rip off for a tranny swap, and yes, rebuilding does cost more than swapping (at least I've never seen it the other way around)...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Orbital199 said:
I dont know if this has anything to do with it. I know its not fixing the problem but when the weather warms up outside it doesnt have as much of a problem getting into gear as it does when its cold. Does that signify anything? I love my car and i really dont want to get rid of it. Its an 89 and has a bit over 157,000 miles on it. Ive replaced a power steering rack and fixed an oil leak in it. Aside from that it really hasnt given me any problems. But do you think its worth it to keep it around? Its a beautiful car and i really couldnt see myself driving anything else.
Do a Tranny Wash...
Which is, Check/replace the vacuum lines to the tranny, check/replace the 2 sensors for the shift point. Check/replace the fluid and base filter within the tranny. Then ADD to the Fluid, either ER ( energy release ) or Lucas fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts